Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: Side-Arm Quarterbacks?

MEANDWARF

Can anyone tell me if side-arm qbs made in the NFL? Not sure is Fran Tarkenton may have had a similar type throw.

IMO. Before we rush to cut Colt, I want to see what Chase does next week.

Three-quarter arm would be a better description: Of the Redskins QBs -- Baugh, Jurgensen and Theisman.

Over the top throwers (Marino) have a quicker release because it's a more compact motion. They can throw rolling both left and right, are generally more accurate (obviously there are exceptions). They don't need to have their feet perfectly balanced to make the throw.

Three-quarter arm would be a better description: Of the Redskins QBs -- Baugh, Jurgensen and Theisman.

Over the top throwers (Marino) have a quicker release because it's a more compact motion. They can throw rolling both left and right, are generally more accurate (obviously there are exceptions). They don't need to have their feet perfectly balanced to make the throw.

Now come to think of it, watching films of Baugh he did have that style of throw, but i thought Sonny and Joe had the over the top throw. But I could be wrong.

Now come to think of it, watching films of Baugh he did have that style of throw, but i thought Sonny and Joe had the over the top throw. But I could be wrong.

No, Sonny was a right-handed Mark Brunell. Theisman mentioned his three-quarter motion on the telecast Friday night.

Colt Brennan is the Babe Laufenberg of the Millenium. I remember when he came here and had a good preseason they thought he was the next best thing. Colt still have Daniel breathing down his neck in my opinion.

Babe's wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Laufenberg

Laufenberg was drafted in the sixth round (168th overall) of the 1983 NFL Draft by the Redskins. He led the team to several come-from-behind wins over the course of three preseasons but had injury problems, leading one Redskins follower to call him "probably the most famous Redskin never to play a down in an NFL game in a Washington uniform."

There are benefits and drawbacks to every throwing motion I suppose.

That's right. I like the over the top motion (Marino)

- quicker release

- rollout left or right

- better accuracy

- less risk of shoulder and arm injury

...but it makes some of the touch throws tougher

Remember that Kosar is also 6'5. Rivers has a funky sort of sidearm motion but he is also 6'5. If you're going to have a real sidearm type of release in the NFL it is going to be much easier if you're a taller QB since there is much less of a chance of batted balls, etc. I'd say Romo sits to pee's motion seems to be more of a 3/4 one. Same with some other QBs. Vince Young is a little more sidearm and he is tall enough...he just isn't a very good QB for other reasons.

Remember that Kosar is also 6'5. Rivers has a funky sort of sidearm motion but he is also 6'5. If you're going to have a real sidearm type of release in the NFL it is going to be much easier if you're a taller QB since there is much less of a chance of batted balls, etc. I'd say Romo sits to pee's motion seems to be more of a 3/4 one. Same with some other QBs. Vince Young is a little more sidearm and he is tall enough...he just isn't a very good QB for other reasons.

such as?

Poor desicion making. He gets upset easy due to a lack of confidience. That whole episode last year tells that this kid has to get his mind straight before he can lead an offense.

He has the tools and potential though.

Exactly. I don't think VY was really ready for the NFL when he came out. He has a ton of ability and athleticism, but he gets flustered easily and it causes him to make some really bad decisions on the field. You can have all the ability in the world, but if you can't take the heat of the position and get rattled to the point where you can't get through it you're in trouble.

Archived