Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Free Agents

Rexrode21

With the preseason seeming longer than ever, it got me thinking about next offseason and what big splash Mr. Snyder will make. I look for your opinions as to who will be our big acquisition. I personally hope it will be someone to help out our Offense, but unfortunately there aren't any QBs worth taking (aside from Big Ben who will surely be extended). So I figured I'd make some lists by position and let the debate begin.

WR:

Steve Breaston (RFA)

Chris Chambers

Braylon Edwards

Lee Evans

Chris Henry

Brandon Marshall

Sinorice Moss (had to put him in :gaintsuck)

Kevin Walter

RB:

Darren Sproles

Leon Washington

LB:

Keith Bulluck

Shawne Merriman

Lofa Tatupu

Zach Thomas

DJ Williams

I didn't notice any huge name OL, although it is my hope that we find a good one to come in at LT or RG (Randy Thomas won't be here much longer). I'll go ahead and say I'll be thrilled if we get either Sproles or Washington and as far as the WRs go, if we went that route I would love to see Chris Chambers or Chris Henry in a Redskins jersey.

I am game for looking ahead to the 2010 free agent class.

Though what does that say about our 2009 season when we are looking ahead before our first game this year.

Its going to be bad, Cleveland Browns type bad, I am afraid.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of watching the games. :)

Way too early for this thread.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of watching the games. :)

Way too early for this thread.

I don't mean to imply anything other than I was bored of talking about performances of our players in preseason games. Thought I would introduce a new discussion for those who care to partake. :saber:

WAAAAYYYYY to early to be looking IMO. Several things will happen. FIRST, the whole uncapped year changes things. Its kind of a draft of sorts. Its hard to explain but it won't be like regular FA.

Secondly, people will get resigned, injured etc. The whole dynamic of the FA from this point until actual FA will be so different.

I don't mean to imply anything other than I was bored of talking about performances of our players in preseason games. Thought I would introduce a new discussion for those who care to partake. :saber:

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a thread that should be closed, but for those already writing off the season (not you, just the guy I quoted), why even watch the games?

We can't speculate on free agents, at least I can't, until we see what we need.

No chance the Chargers let him get away. Plus, he'll want a huge contract. It would be nice though.

Yep, with Rivers signing they can use their franchise tag on Merriman. Though I think they drafted Larry English with his replacement in mind. We'll see. It isn't 100 percent that he sticks around in SD, especially if he has lingering effects from that knee injury.

I was going over the list of FA's on each team and years in the league, and if there is no cap, there are going to be almost no quality free agents to sign.

If there is a cap, we'll need to sign campbell or another CB, and Rogers and McIntosh if we want to keep them, as well as Gholston or Griffen and Rabach if we want to keep him.

With new CBA:I doubt we'll have much room next year. I'd like to see us pick up an experienced guard, and see if we can stretch our cap to fit Merriman who would be terrifying in combo with Orakpo and Haynesworth, with Jarmon, Carter and Wilson as complementary players.

Without a CBA: Possibly noone to sign. Pick up Dansby or Peppers if they are not franchised again, resign all of the available depth players you can and resign your own players to front loaded contracts.

Our D is going to be too good to have a disastrous season this year unless we have a ton of injuries. We will be mediocre at worst and very good at best.

I'm glad Rivers signed a new deal in San Diego so we avoided the "Sign Phillip Rivers" threads down the road.

theres no way SD would have let that guy leave the team. hes one of the best QBs in the league, and locking him up was extremely important.

thats why the cutler trade was so crazy. guys like this arent growing on trees and to let one go is pretty nuts.

Shawne Merriman is not a need...........but the guy played at Maryland and is a hell good football player. Pretty cool D# Orakpo, Merriman, Big Albert, LaRon and D-Hall

Yea, he's not a need...but I don't think Snyder would care...especially if it's an upcapped season next year.

Yea, he's not a need...but I don't think Snyder would care...especially if it's an upcapped season next year.

The catch is that if the year is uncapped then Merriman (and Campbell and most of the other players on the list) will be restricted free agents. Players will need six years of service to be unrestricted, not four as it is now. It's unlikely that we'll know for sure exactly what the '10 free agent class will look like until it actually starts.

I'm glad Rivers signed a new deal in San Diego so we avoided the "Sign Phillip Rivers" threads down the road.

Yeah that would have been miserable if we could have gotten one of the best in the business at a young age.

thats why the cutler trade was so crazy. guys like this arent growing on trees and to let one go is pretty nuts.

Yep. Cutler was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Ugh. Bums me out just thinking about it.

I'm guessing we'll be pick #13 or later again this year (hoping too)... but I still think we can get a potential starting QB in the first round outside of the top 10. So in FA I'd like to find a good veteran LB so Orakpo can move to DE and/or Darren Sproles.

Archived