Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Young RB in NFC East

haraldjun

to be honest I am fearing the young runningbacks we´ll give us a lot of headaches within the next years

McCoy looks really good, and could become a Westbrook copy

Ahmad Bradshaw is lightning fast and breaks tackles and Brandon Jacobs isn´t that bad either

Felix Jones is shifty and as long as Marion Barber can hammer the d-line it will get ugly

And we have CP and well LB and RC but I don´t think that this trio is going to fear anyone at the moment, no home run threat no speed, CP is the best blocking RB in the game and he punishes everyone but no one to give him a breather and I think thats the reason why he didn´t produce in the second half of last season.....we should have gotten a young RB in the draft, e.g. Ringer (TEN) 5th rounder, Steve Slaton (HOU) 3rd rounder, mike Goodson (CAR) 4th rounder....maybe we´ll get one after the cuts (Slaton seems unlikley ;) )

they will all make their teams, slaton is pretty much the #1 and rarely do guys drafted in the 4th round get cut before the season starts. Ringer looked awesome for the titans last night. Looked better then any rb we have on our roster (ive never been sold as CP as franchise back)

Even keion lattimore a practice squad guy for Dallas, ray lewis's little brother looks better then anything we have. Looked strong, shifty and explosive.

None of our backs have homerun speed. Portis has good acceleration but not deep speed nor does he have good balance. He does go down fairly easy and with an unbiased watching of games you would agree. Betts a few years ago I thought could start, betts now I dont know. I like rock but doubt he makes another team as anything but a special teamer.

Even after close to 1000 yards half way through season last year I believe the majority of them came from the offensive line. He had some major holes early in the season that he was running through. He was leading the league if i remember correctly with runs of 20+ yards. As much as people think or say CP is elusive, he really isnt. He has BELOW average elusiveness especially when up to speed. He runs high and never cuts when in the open. He gets run out of bounds or tackled one on one in the open field. As much as I would love for him to be rated even higher in madden I actually believe he should be lower at least on the athletic stats. Agility, and speed should be much lower as well as elusiveness. His acceleration is good and hes fairly solid at hitting the hole. IRL hes not a bruising back but he does do a good job of falling forward.

Sad but I believe our WR corps to be much deeper then our RBs. Portis is a workhorse but not the most talented. I remember one of the reasons shanahan traded him is because at the time their oline was so good and portis still had a problem finishing plays. Even on gaping wholes and huge yardage plays he could never outrun the secondary for the score nor could he beat people 1 on 1 very often. He thought portis was a good one cut back but didnt believe beyond his burst to be athletic enough. I like portis, I like betts and rock. I just do not believe ANY of them are special. They could all be easily replaced. Plus in the westcoast you want good receiving RBs, Betts our best receiving back and that probably why zorn plans on bringing him in on 3rd downs.

We have the worst starting RB and depth IMO in the east.

While I agree we will need to address the RB position soon, I think we are fine there for this year and we had bigger needs (O-Linemen)in the draft but we didn't get any of those either.

Instead we got another WR and a FB, both positions I think came a distance 2nd to the O-line in the need department.

Instead we got another WR and a FB, both positions I think came a distance 2nd to the O-line in the need department.
There weren't any o-linemen worth talking about left in the draft after the first few rounds. It was a really top heavy draft in linemen, but not really deep.

I'd be pretty surprised if Slaton was cut before the season started, considering he was drafted last year and had about 1,300 rushing yards and 9 TDs for the Texans...I don't think he's going anywhere lol.

We definitely need to go o-line in the draft next year, but getting a speed back should be a priority, hopefully in round 4 or so. Although with the way Portis is wearing down, especially with his amount of career carries, we might need to be looking at getting a top tier RB in the 1st or 2nd round very soon.

We have the worst starting RB and depth IMO in the east.

How the Hell is Portis worse than Barber, or even Jacobs who both run behind much better lines and put up inferior stats? I can see Westbrook, but he's injured every year and not very reliable.

I do believe we need to eventually address the RB postion. We need a young home run hitter, but we can only do so much in one offseason. Remember when we complained that we did not have a good pass rush and we needed to address the d-line because we couldnt get sacks. guess what we drafter SACKPO and jarmon. now much younger and quicker on d-line.

next offseason, should be dedicated to o-line and running back .... be patient, i believe we are learning to build a team. but it takes a few offseasons!

I can't help but think we're going to need to restock at RB. Portis is logging quite a few carries -- and he's usually having to earn his yards the tough way.

I'm not certain how Betts would hold up as the primary back all season long. I would note that getting older probably doesn't help in that calculation.

The Redskins would benefit by a speedy change-of-pace RB. Drafting one next year might help.

Clinton Portis: 1,487 yards (#4 in NFL)

Brandon Jacobs: 1,089 (#11 in NFL)

Brian Westbrook: 936 (#18 in NFL)

Marion Barber: 885 (#21 in NFL)

Your logic is infallible.

So because in 1999 when Stephen Davis lead the league in rushing you are telling me that made him the best RB in the league? Even though guys like marshal faulk, emmit smith, robert smith, etc Had less yards then him?

I remember stephen davis. I can tell you right now he was not better then any of the 3 I mentioned. Though it might be hard for you since you were 11 at the time.

Using logic you would know there are more variables then just rushing yards. In fact reading a list online and accepting that the list determines who the best RB in the league is, is a failure to use logic period. More then just rushing yards come in to play to determining who is better. I guess what was not translated well was what I meant by better.

So because in 1999 when Stephen Davis lead the league in rushing you are telling me that made him the best RB in the league? Even though guys like marshal faulk, emmit smith, robert smith, etc Had less yards then him?

I remember stephen davis. I can tell you right now he was not better then any of the 3 I mentioned. Though it might be hard for you since you were 11 at the time.

Using logic you would know there are more variables then just rushing yards. In fact reading a list online and accepting that the list determines who the best RB in the league is, is a failure to use logic period. More then just rushing yards come in to play to determining who is better. I guess what was not translated well was what I meant by better.

Depth-wise, the Skins probably aren't as good as the other NFC East teams.

But in terms of starters?

You'd really try to make the case that Barber, Jacobs, or Westbrook are better than Portis, all things considered with the passing game and o-lines that they play with?

Westbrook is the only one who someone could have a good argument with.

Chester Taylor is a better backup RB than what the Redskins have.
Chester Taylor as a better backup than what MOST teams have. IMHO he could start on most teams.

If any good ones are available, take a RB next draft, but that's 3rd or 4th on our list of priorities:

-OL

-SAM so 'Rak can be full-time DE

-MAYBE a QB

Portis: 9,202 yds, 92.0 ypg, 4.5 ypc, 72 TDs

Westbrook: 5,721 yds, 57.8 ypg, 4.6 ypc, 36 TDs

Barber: 3,052 yds, 50.9 ypg, 4.3 ypc, 36 TDs

Jacobs: 2,620 yds, 47.6 ypg, 4.7 ypc, 35 TDs

Yeah, you're right. Portis really isn't all that great compared to these guys.

Post 1999

Robert Smith 1521 7TDs

Emmit Smith 4400 28TDs

Marshall Faulk 5600 51TDs

Stephen Davis 5800 43TDs

Yep, you are right. Davis was worse than all of those guys, especially Emmitt Smith who was about equivalent to what Fred Taylor is now by 1999. :chair:

There weren't any o-linemen worth talking about left in the draft after the first few rounds. It was a really top heavy draft in linemen, but not really deep.

I'd be pretty surprised if Slaton was cut before the season started, considering he was drafted last year and had about 1,300 rushing yards and 9 TDs for the Texans...I don't think he's going anywhere lol.

We definitely need to go o-line in the draft next year, but getting a speed back should be a priority, hopefully in round 4 or so. Although with the way Portis is wearing down, especially with his amount of career carries, we might need to be looking at getting a top tier RB in the 1st or 2nd round very soon.

If I had been drafting I'd have grabbed Fenuki Tupouo instead of Cody Glenn and I would have gotten A.Q. Shipley with the first pick in the 7th instead of Eddie Williams. Not a big deal, but I liked both of those prospects and I don't really like either Glenn or Williams. I thought we could have gotten both of those guys later than we reached for them and Tupouo and shipley looked like they'll be good players.

But still, to the OP, we have an elite RB in Portis who is the most complete HB in the division. Our production in the running game will be fine. And all it will take is to spend a single pick in an upcoming draft to make your complaint go away. HB is probably one of the easiest needs to get a pretty good fix for. Elite RBs like Portis are rare, but good prospects like McCoy are fairly common each draft.

If I had been drafting I'd have grabbed Fenuki Tupouo instead of Cody Glenn and I would have gotten A.Q. Shipley with the first pick in the 7th instead of Eddie Williams. Not a big deal, but I liked both of those prospects and I don't really like either Glenn or Williams. I thought we could have gotten both of those guys later than we reached for them and Tupouo and shipley looked like they'll be good players.
Well, Williams was rated about the same as Shipley coming out for the draft. Both are competing to even make the team roster and not the practice squad, so it's really a toss up either way there.

I couldn't find anything on Fenuki as far as his recent progress, so that's also probably a toss up compared to how Cody Glenn is working out for us so far. Could have been nice having a young tackle prospect like that to try and develop as a backup though.

Archived