Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just a liberal brainwashing anecdote to share.

Art

tex...meaning no disrespect...but as one coming from a family of PHDs, University professors and grandparents who have published over 40 books...I have been immersed in that environment my whole life: academic achievement, while impressive as a marker for personal drive, is very likely the last metric one should use to qualify political niaivite!

Thank you kindly, Jimbo. "Sharp knife" beats the heck out of some of stuff I've been called. :laugh:

As to whether or not who was really in the car was made clear by Art's first sentence of the first post, though ....... I think it is still up for grabs just whose imagination is running away with them. :)

I just read the whole post it again, and I STILL don't know who was actually in that big old car talking about the sad state of American education besides Art and the boyfriend-in-law. But since this is not really what the discussion is about, I'll drop it if he will.

I AM pretty sure only one of them was a conservative though. ;)

Originally posted by fansince62

tex...meaning no disrespect...but as one coming from a family of PHDs, University professors and grandparents who have published over 40 books...I have been immersed in that environment my whole life: academic achievement, while impressive as a marker for personal drive, is very likely the last metric one should use to qualify political niaivite!

Point well taken.

Candy, sweetie, I usually treat the lovely ones kindly, but, if you're confused by who was in the car after reading, "My sister-in-law's boyfriend and I were driving up to Duluth to attend a marathon my wife and sister-in-law were running in," then you must be extremely blonde (sorry Blondie) and I'd like to flirt with you more frequently :). I would, however, like to avoid having to point to the obvious again.

Originally posted by Candy

But since this is not really what the discussion is about, I'll drop it if he will.

Candy, you surely know by now that Art will never just "drop it".:laugh:

And since there's no football to talk about, I'll have another go also.

We know these things: Art and the boyfriend were in the car. They held a political discussion. Art extended the discussion to include 7 additional people.

So the reader is left to fill in a gap. Art arrived at a destination where the others were. Or Art contacted the others by car phone. Or, since he didn't expressly state they were alone in the car, all nine were travelling together.

You need to conjure up either the arrival, the cell phone, or the other members of the group. Upon re-reading the original post, the arrival is clearly the most likely scenario. But maybe that's because I know now what happened.

What's wrong with me. I need football bad.

On a similar subject, the National Geographic Society does a surver every year where they give a geography test to, I think, High School students.

Typically, about 90% of them can correctly identify the US on a world map. (I sometimes wonder about that stat: Are the padding the numbers, somehow? Like counting students who didn't also mark Alaska as "wrong". But, it's possible the stat is real.)

They also, each year, ask the students to locate another country that's been in the news that year (like Iraq). Typically, less than 1/3 of them can find that one.

-----------------

I recall an editorial saying that the fundimental flaw with the UN, is that it's founded on the (absolutely false) assumption that all nations are equal (except for size), and therefore should have an equal voice in determining how the world should be run.

His proposal has that there should be a body created similar to the UN, but membership should only be allowed based on the "morality" of the nation. (Although, considering that the UN thinks China and Cuba should be in charge of Human Rights, I don't know if that term could possibly apply to a political body.)

(Maybe the UN should have a second "house" in the leglislature: Each nation's vote should count according to how much of the UN's budget it pays.)

I've always found even the 90% distressing. Think about it, after studying the US in grades school, Middle school, and high school, ten percent of students can't recognize the shape or locate the US on a map. Given the projection that only four percent of our population is supposed to be learning disabled and many of them, I could even go with most of the ones I taught anyway were able to find the USA, what is this saying about those 25 million who can't?

Archived