Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Travelling to Panthers game from Raleigh Durham area

DixieFlatline

I know its two months away, but I'm extremely psyched because I just bought Skins/Panthers tickets yesterday. It'll be my first Skins game since 1992 I believe.....the year Monk broke the career receptions mark.

Anyway, I know I have plenty of time to work this out, but I figured I might as well ask the ESers that live in the Raleigh-Durham area about the best way to travel to Charlotte. Obviously, I can drive, but someone mentioned to me yesterday that there is a train that goes from Raleigh to Charlotte and the train station isn't a 1/2 mile from the stadium. I think he said you get there at 10am and it leaves at 5:30pm.

Has anyone ever taken the train? Do you recommend it? Seems like it would sure beat the hassle of driving even if it takes a little while longer.

Train station's actually a few miles from the stadium. The bus station is less than a half mile.

It's an easy drive, just leave early. If you travel Sunday, I'd leave by 7, and get to Clt. around 9:30. Tailgate up with some of the thousands of Skins fans before the game!

hey, there is a group of us doing the train thing.

Why drive 3 hours when I can take the train for $25 and party on the way up?

2 miles from the stadium also.

Train leaves Raleigh aorund 6am and leaves Charlotte around 5:00pm

Gotta make a run for it to make the train back though ;)

It's a cheap train ticket. I live in Chapel Hill area and was going to drive west to the Greensboro station. From there, a heavy dose of "traingating" may be in store. Haven't made my decision yet though, as I still haven't gotten tickets. Anybody have any suggestions for decent prices?

1) its less than 3 hours from Raleigh to Charlotte driving

2) there will be plenty of cabs around the city after the game if you want to do the train thing

3) 5PM is cutting it way too close for my tastes...factor in a long game, exiting the stadium, getting a cab, etc. not to mention overtime potential...just sayin, cuttin it close!

See you all there!

1) its less than 3 hours from Raleigh to Charlotte driving

2) there will be plenty of cabs around the city after the game if you want to do the train thing

3) 5PM is cutting it way too close for my tastes...factor in a long game, exiting the stadium, getting a cab, etc. not to mention overtime potential...just sayin, cuttin it close!

See you all there!

Yeah...the 5pm timeframe does worry me a tad if its a long game.

I've taken the train from Raleigh to Charlotte, not a bad trip. If you stay close to the speed limit(within 5-10 mph over), the trip via train is about the same length as driving for me. I prefer the train because it is pretty inexpensive compared to driving our minivan, at least for one person. If you could carpool, you would save significantly.

I haven't been in the stadium there, but have been been by it........looks pretty nice from the outside, so enjoy.

It's a cheap train ticket. I live in Chapel Hill area and was going to drive west to the Greensboro station. From there, a heavy dose of "traingating" may be in store. Haven't made my decision yet though, as I still haven't gotten tickets. Anybody have any suggestions for decent prices?

Instead of driving to Greensboro, look at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321815&ssid=136

This shows the list of stations on the route.........may save you some driving and still will stop in Greensboro on the way down. Burlington is closer to Chapel Hill, or Durham may be closer for you.

hey im fairly new to the raleigh durham area but id definitely like to go to the game. havent met any skins fans in this area yet ... are there any groups forming with a ticket to the game? id prefer not to sit alone haha thatd be weird. also where do you guys watch the game at ... im in raleigh so a bar near that area would be cool.

I plan on driving down to the Panthers game also from Southern Maryland. I just noticed my Maryland Terps play at Wake Forest that Saturday. Thinking about going to that game too. Don't know if I should stay the night in Wake Forest or drive down to Charlotte that Saturday night. Its a 3:30 p.m start for Maryland

Can any of you guys from the that area advise how far the Stadium for Wake Forest is off Route 85. I've been down to NC State for a Maryland game before and it took me about 3 and a half hours from Maryland.

hey im fairly new to the raleigh durham area but id definitely like to go to the game. havent met any skins fans in this area yet ... are there any groups forming with a ticket to the game? id prefer not to sit alone haha thatd be weird. also where do you guys watch the game at ... im in raleigh so a bar near that area would be cool.

hey, we watch the games at HI5 in Glenwood south. Local Skins bar.

First my relevant answer to the post. I say go down sat night and get a hotel, wake up early and start tailgating, definitely worth the expense. Ask any friends who might have ties to the hotel industry, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get a deal. I would also recommend taking the train though. Realize that probably at least (probably a generous estimate) 1/2 the people driving home from a football game could get a DUI if they had to blow. The cost to benefit ratio of taking the train just makes too much sense to me.

And now for pointless self promotion. In the off chance anyone lives near Greensboro, NC and is reading this... Skins games at the JP Looneys at the corner of Spring Garden and Holden. The back room. Stadium seating booths, full of skins fans for every game, cheap beer, and more HTTR than you can handle.

(Sorry, I don't work there, and have no financial interest in this post, but I felt like this would reach the necessary audience, and build on what is already a great crowd.)

Instead of driving to Greensboro, look at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321815&ssid=136

This shows the list of stations on the route.........may save you some driving and still will stop in Greensboro on the way down. Burlington is closer to Chapel Hill, or Durham may be closer for you.

You're right. I actually meant Burlington, but had Greensboro on the mind from another trip. Durham is actually the closest, but the ticket from Burlington is cheaper and saves time.

I still have to get my ticket though.

Yet also factor in delays... I took the train from Raleigh to Tampa for the '05 playoff game... It was supposed to leave at around Midnight IIRC but was delayed for 2ish hours, was supposed to get in at 9am but got in at 11:30am...

I also took the train from DC to Greensboro after the DDP this past year... Delayed 2.5 hours got in 1.75 hours late...

But other than the delays, it's awesome... I would recommend it to anyone as long as there isn't a strict time table... (I even found an unsecured wireless connection in Union Station, which tied me over for the layover)

We've got a group going down to the game as well... (Mix of Redskins and Panthers fans) I've got no doubt that this will be a "Steeleresque MNF" showing where Skins fans almost outnumber Panthers fans...

We've got a group going down to the game as well... (Mix of Redskins and Panthers fans) I've got no doubt that this will be a "Steeleresque MNF" showing where Skins fans almost outnumber Panthers fans...

Dude!!!!! Get the skittles vodka ready!!!! How are you??? We are planning on doing Charlotte and Atlanta road trips this year. Not sure where we are staying yet, but we are working on the plans for the ES tailgate already. Huly is coming to this game as well, so we will be co-planning the tailgate with her. Should be a HUGE tailgate. We will keep in touch. BTW..you making it for the home opener??

Dude!!!!! Get the skittles vodka ready!!!! How are you??? We are planning on doing Charlotte and Atlanta road trips this year. Not sure where we are staying yet, but we are working on the plans for the ES tailgate already. Huly is coming to this game as well, so we will be co-planning the tailgate with her. Should be a HUGE tailgate. We will keep in touch. BTW..you making it for the home opener??

Haha I'll have to get it ready for sure...

Won't be making it for the opener... Going to the TB game then the Panther's game the next week...

Archived