Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin 3 year plan - do they have one?

The Waterboy

I hear the drum beat from Czban, Sheean, BMitch, ESPN, ... well in fact just about everyone claiming that Snyder and Vinnie use knee jerk management to direct the Skin's team building efforts. No plan, just seize whatever high priced pig dances by the front office.

We use to say of the Army in Viet Nam: "The Army has been in Nam for ten years, one day at a time." Many would make the same claim for Snyder's ownership of the Skins - owned it for a decade, one day at a time. When you live one day at a time there is no coherent plan for the future and no learning from past mistakes.

My question: is that in fact the case with the Skins - they have no short or long range plan or strategy, but are merely knee jerk management? My answer is NO, I believe there is a very logical and deliberate plan in place to make the team a Super Bowl winner in 2010 - a 5 year plan at the least (maybe longer in the works).

I'm not sure what the Skins front office could do to change that perception short of calling each talking head months before a decision was actually act on and explaining what they were going to do and why. But no one else in the league is expected to reveal their plans before making a decision to acquire a player.

Let's look at the evidence. Everyone says the obvious needs of the O-Line have not been addressed, therefore its absolute proof that the Skins management is clueless about how to fix things. When in a 5 year plan would the o-line get fixed anyway?

Five years ago, the Skins brought back Gibbs to give the team long term high quality staff.

Four years ago, the moved up in the draft and took a QB who they believed had the tool set to be a franchise quarterback. It is generally accepted that it takes about 3-5 years for a rookie QB to mature into a proficient leader. Sure there are exceptions, and in this case there has been changes of coaches. But the change in coaches was not directed from the Front office decision - Gibbs quit.

Three years ago working from a deficit in draft picks, they started working on improving the defense with the drafing of HB Blades and LaRon Landry. Sean Taylor died, Gibbs quit at end of seaons. Front office spend a lot of time seaching for a new head coach. Also overhauled their scouting department - not an insignificant move.

Two years ago moved over to the offensive side of the ball and acquired 3 receivers. Rule of thumb is that it takes receivers about 3 years to become fully effective. We are in year two. 2010 they should be lights out.

This Year they went back to improving the defense with major upgrades both via the draft and FA. No reason not to think they will improve on their #4 ranking this season and function as a well oiled machine in 2010.

They have also claimed they are not done trying to improve the offensive line looking for gems among those cut from other teams during camp. It remains to be seen what will happen here. 2010 draft may also have the O-line as its focus and final piece of the plan.

2010 is shaping up as the payoff year from the visible outlines of a 5 year plan. Yes, JC is in the final year of his contract in 2009, so that doesn't quite fit a 5 year plan scenario, but I will leave it up to you to figure that one out.

Everyone says the obvious needs of the O-Line have not been addressed, therefore its absolute proof that the Skins management is clueless about how to fix things. When in a 5 year plan would the o-line get fixed anyway?

They have also claimed they are not done trying to improve the offensive line looking for gems among those cut from other teams during camp. It remains to be seen what will happen here. 2010 draft may also have the O-line as its focus and final piece of the plan.

I have no idea if they had a 5 year plan until know.

And if the do have a 5 year plan, it should start with re-building the OL.

Imo, you build a team through the draft.

You draft young lineman.

OL through FA,imo, are a stop gap at best.

Look at how the OL is getting beat in TC.

Look at a team that a made turn around like MIA.

One of the main factors in their turn around was a focus on the OL.

Miami Dolphins starting offensive line:

12/30/2007

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...A_Gamebook.pdf

LT 72 V.Carey

LG 76 C.Liwienski

C 64 S.Satele

RG 66 R.Hadnot

RT 70 L.Shelton

LT 77 J.Long

LG 65 J.Smiley

C 64 S.Satele

RG 66 D.Thomas

RT 72 V.Carey

Most of the good teams are constantsly drafting OL.

I have no idea if they had a 5 year plan until know.

And if the do have a 5 year plan, it should start with re-building the OL.

Imo, you build a team through the draft.

You draft young lineman.

OL through FA,imo, are a stop gap at best.

Look at how the OL is getting beat in TC.

Look at a team that a made turn around like MIA.

One of the main factors in their turn around was a focus on the OL.

Miami Dolphins starting offensive line:

12/30/2007

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...A_Gamebook.pdf

LT 72 V.Carey

LG 76 C.Liwienski

C 64 S.Satele

RG 66 R.Hadnot

RT 70 L.Shelton

LT 77 J.Long

LG 65 J.Smiley

C 64 S.Satele

RG 66 D.Thomas

RT 72 V.Carey

Most of the good teams are constantsly drafting OL.

I could'nt agee more, but where there lineman to be had that were worthy of where the Skins where picking? I think also that they have added some guys that were risks to develop. I can't see how even with a good season this year, they don't work on that line next year.

Phase 1: Collect free agents

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Superbowl!

Orapko, the three 2's, HOrton, Tryon(yeah), Moore and Barnes, all good picks IMO. Add the developmental QB picks and you have a FO that is functioning well beyond what we had before Gibbs got in Snyder's ear.

the dolphins kept two guys from their oline in carey and satele, drafted the best player in the draft, and signed two free agents in smiley and ndukwe. some of them were holdovers from one of the other worst teams in football.

they kinda just made a makeshift line with stuff they had and brought in smiley, and it didnt hurt they had the #1 overall pick.

im sure if we finish bad enough we can draft the next version of chris samuels in the top 3-5.

The organization is always win now.

There's no 3 year plan or even 2 year plan when you take that approach. I'm not bashing it, but I also have the dreams of one day seeing this organization run like the Steelers or Patriots.

not until this fan base will just accept a few "rebuild" years. snyder wont stand for it and neither will a good portion of our delusional fan base.

i do think that if we had a legit QB right now we'd be decently close, but once age sets in along the oline for good and portis is worn down, its gonna be time to blow it up on offense at least.

the dolphins kept two guys from their oline in carey and satele, drafted the best player in the draft, and signed two free agents in smiley and ndukwe. some of them were holdovers from one of the other worst teams in football.

they kinda just made a makeshift line with stuff they had and brought in smiley, and it didnt hurt they had the #1 overall pick.

BLC but they made changes.

And they had the talent that was ready to step up.

I could'nt agee more, but where there lineman to be had that were worthy of where the Skins where picking? I think also that they have added some guys that were risks to develop. I can't see how even with a good season this year, they don't work on that line next year.

You guys are both right.

All i'm saying is that the FO has not done very much if by the way of drafting or bringing in quality OL through FA.

I always bring this up but there were OL in this draft and there were top tier OL available via FA like Jason Brown

fa64cea0f635720c

Brown got a heck of a lot of money to be the top paid C in the NFL . Problem is when people say we should draft nothing but OL then we would have to by default overlook another area of the team . Also for every Jon Jansen there are 10 Winson Justice clones, every Chris Samuels there is a Mike Williams in the draft .

You all will get your O line answers on opening day, 9/13, in the Meadowlands. Osi, Kiwi, Tuck, Robbins, Canty, Bernard, and the second round pick, Sintim, will be coming full force at Jason. BTW, Sintim led the nation in sacks as a LB in college last year.

It was ugly for the Skins O line last year in two games against the Giants--and the Giants didn't have Osi last year.

I do not wish injury on any NFL player--but Jason could be in deep trouble on day 1.

What will be of real interest to me is whether the Giants will take the easy route of avoiding Fat Albert by sending Jacobs to the outside or by running the 265 pounds Jacobs straight at Albert. Pretty sure they will do both.

Again, I do not wish injury on any NFL player. So I hope that L Landry does not try to solo tackle Jacobs again in the open field.

Five year, three year or two year plans are great in theory but it's very difficult to stick to them in the NFL because so much changes from year to year. And drafting by need (i.e. drafting offensive linemen in the first round because you are thin there) is a quick way to failure. You have to draft the best player available. Only one offensive lineman drafted in the first round in the last 10 years has won a Super Bowl. Only two have played in a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them. The old adage about building the trenches is absolutely true but the problem is that the way to do it isn't just throwing high draft picks at them. Linemen, particularly offensive linemen, have to be developed over time and they come from everywhere, draft, FA, UDFA. So, yes, you have to have a plan but you have to react as well.

Use the draft to rebuild? I believe the Skins have one of the highest percentage of draftees and UDFA on their roster of any team in the NFL - higher than New England; higher than Miami; higher than the Giants, Eagles or Pokes. Its just that the occassional high $$ FA they sign over shadow the use of the draft and UDFA.

We've always had a plan. Do not confuse failure to have a plan with failure to execute or failure to develop a good plan. Planning itself is easy, its execution that's hard.

Exactly! The plan was for JC to be our franchise QB in three years, but that's not working.

Our strategy has been to use the FA market to build, when most successful teams use the draft to build and supplement through free agency. We seem to have this backwards (however, I'm sensing Snyder is figuring this out).

So, we have a plan, it's just a bad plan.

Hail,

H

I think they do have a plan ( I hope ). Last year Snyderatto drafted some WR's with great potential especially for a West Coast offense. This year, Snyderatto picked up Haynesworth, Orakpo, and Jarmon- great for the DLine. A lot of people say they did not address the OLine that much. Not true- they got Dockery and tried to get Ray Willis from Seattle but he resigned with the Seahawks. Next years draft and FA will truly show if they have a plan. If they draft OLine and LB's then they have a plan. If they start drafting more TE's and Punters then....DC we have a problem.

Use the draft to rebuild? I believe the Skins have one of the highest percentage of draftees and UDFA on their roster of any team in the NFL - higher than New England; higher than Miami; higher than the Giants, Eagles or Pokes. Its just that the occassional high $$ FA they sign over shadow the use of the draft and UDFA.

Look at how well that's worked out so far.

The difference between us and teams like the Pats and Colts is that they know how to find talent and how to play to player's strengths. For us, it seems to be, bring in some scrubs and hope we can groom them into something at least halfway decent (doesn't always happen this way, but it's happened many times). Hope isn't a strategy.

Archived