Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homemade hot pepper sauce - updated 1st post - made sauce

bpoch

Making a batch now,

basically followed the recipe on the front except I used.

1 Pablano

1 Banana

2 Serano

2 Jalepeno

1 Red Chilli

1 TB Salt

1 TB Sugar

1 Lime

Garlic.

Op your sauce looks great, I am debating straining the sauce after seeing your batch.

Sounds good, I did not strain my sauce. It is a little thick. I think I could have gone longer in the food processor.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished my first attempt at hot sauce.

I used 14 Hungarian Wax

10 red Jalapenos

20 dried Chilies

3 tbs. minced garlic

1/4 onion

salt

crushed pepper

honey

1 lime

2 1/2 cups vineger

2 cups water

It has some zing to it but it's not the flavor that I want. It has a little too much of a bell pepper hint to it. I strained enough to fill a salad dressing bottle (it looks like store bought hot sauce) and the rest I put in a jar that I'll let sit in the fridge for a while and see if it changes at all.

Next time I'll use hotter peppers and I'm thinking a little bourbon.

Can anyone confirm or shoot down the notion that using too many different types of peppers can result in it turning out bitter?

I heard it from somewhere but I forgot the details.

I don't know and I can't find an answer anywhere. Most recipes I found use one type of pepper but there were a few that used different kinds. A lot of recipes are very simple, just peppers vinegar and salt. Others throw in everything but the kitchen sink. More ingredients may cut down the bitterness, but maybe aging does too, or maybe both.

This is new to me so I'm just going to keep playing around until I get the desired outcome.

I almost picked up a mango to throw into the boil. I decided to keep the first batch basic so I can figure out what to add and what to remove.

Keep me posted if you use the Mango. It works great in salsa, im sure it conveys to hot sauce.

At some point I will make a hot sauce the will require that and I will name it, "Mr. B's Ass Launching Holy **** Sauce". Until then, I shall keep experimenting. :D

Yikes. Don't be surprised when the EPA knocks on your door. :silly:

I don't get it. How does burning your taste buds enhance your food?

I like my hot to be a comfortable hot, but not an insane hot. However, my comfort level is higher than others'. I'll eventually make an insane hot sauce, just to make it and share with people that like that kind of sauce.

The main reason I want to develope my own hot sauce is because of my love for wings. I experiment with different rubs, spices, and marinades but I have always used store bought hot sauce. I want and will have a wing recipe that is all mine.

I like my hot to be a comfortable hot, but not an insane hot. However, my comfort level is higher than others'. I'll eventually make an insane hot sauce, just to make it and share with people that like that kind of sauce.

The main reason I want to develope my own hot sauce is because of my love for wings. I experiment with different rubs, spices, and marinades but I have always used store bought hot sauce. I want and will have a wing recipe that is all mine.

Nice. I have two recipes that I've been working on. One, using the adobo sauce from canned chipotles to marinate the wings and adding a touch of honey. Burns easy though. I also made a jerk marinade from scratch that is also ridiculous.

Nice. I have two recipes that I've been working on. One, using the adobo sauce from canned chipotles to marinate the wings and adding a touch of honey. Burns easy though. I also made a jerk marinade from scratch that is also ridiculous.

That's cool, I haven't worked with chipotles yet but I've been seeing more and more recipes on Food Network that use them, and I have only used store bought jerk seasoning. I want to use this hot sauce I just made and see what kind of bbq sauce I can come up with.

I just grilled 12 big jalapeno peppers, split in half, stuffed with cheese and bacon. Started grilling the peppers first. Not too hot. Just right.

Did you leave the seeds in? I'm guessing not since you split them but without the seeds there is very little heat, unless you mixed the seeds with the cheese. Just curious because I'm going to try stuffing some jalapenos soon.

Archived