Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homemade hot pepper sauce - updated 1st post - made sauce

bpoch

I am growing some hot peppers this year and want to try and make some pepper sauce. I am growing some banana peppers, cayenne, and some varieties I’m not sure of. I have a friend at work that grows just about any hot pepper he can get a hold of and he gave me a bunch of seedlings.

Anyway, I’m curious as to if anybody makes hot pepper sauce. I found this recipe on the web and it looks like most are just hot peppers with distilled vinegar.

6 lg Anaheim peppers (about 12oz)

4 serrano peppers (about ½ oz)

2 ¼ cup white vinegar

1 cup water

1 tb salt

After cutting up the peppers you just boil them for 20 mins, let steep until cool, put it in a blender and then strain into bottles.

I was just going to take some of my various peppers, so how many oz. I have and adjust the above recipe for amount of vinegar and water.

Any advice would be great, because I’m just going to wing it.

----------- UPDATE---------------

Ok, so I made the sauce tonight and it turned out great.

I had 3oz worth of peppers (3 jalapeno, 1 banana, 1 lemon pepper, 2 that I don't know but were not very hot yet) So I boiled them in 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup water, dash of salt, about 1 TBS of minced garlic, a few turns of my fresh pepper, and maybe 1/4 cup red onion for 20 mins. I didn't let them steep until they were cool after done boiling, I just put my pot in a bigger pot with cold water to cool them.

I then put all that into a food processor and chopped it up real good. I had a small bottle I put it in. It taste fantastic now, and I can't wait until it has 2 weeks or so to sit in the fridge and let all the flavors play nice with each other.

The lemon pepper was small but the hottest in the group, I'd say right in between Jalepeno and Habenaro, but it has a nice little lemon/citrus after taste to it. A lot more pronounced after boiling than eating fresh. Next batch I would like to use more of those lemon peppers, but I'll have to wait for my friend to give me some more.

I'll add a pic of my sauce.

The banana peppers are a sweet pepper so that should add to the taste.

SkinsBry - I was thinking about adding in some garlic to add some flavor to it. I may just start pulling out spices and see what smells good and add to it. That's how I normally cook anyway.

I was thinking about adding in some garlic to add some flavor to it. I may just start pulling out spices and see what smells good and add to it. That's how I normally cook anyway.

Garlic is a good idea. I'm the same as you when I cook, a little of this, a little of that, whatever smells good will usually make it taste good.

A drop or two of habenero, yes, if he is throwing entire habaneros and scoth bonnets into the mix, he will have a severe colon cleaning hot sauce.

You should've seen my friend when he just licked his his finger that he had dipped in homemade salsa that was made with a variety of peppers including habenaro. His face got all red and he was storming all over his kitchen looking for something that would soothe the burn.

You should've seen my friend when he just licked his his finger that he had dipped in homemade salsa that was made with a variety of peppers including habenaro. His face got all red and he was storming all over his kitchen looking for something that would soothe the burn.

Whip cream does the trick. I tried a additive called "Pure cap" once, it's supposedly the worlds hottest "additive". I only tried the tip of a tooth pic and my mouth burned for hours. The first couple of minutes absolutely sucked.

I love the flavor of Habanro, they put off an uncomfortable amount of heat. If you want to increase the heat, grill them, my gosh talk about wicked.

Renaming to official ES hot sauce invention sounds like a good idea, how in the world do I do it though.

And I'm aware of the heat of the habs. The guy that gave me the plants has about 80 different hot sauces ranging from mild to don't even think about it. We tried some of the very hot ones, and OH MY!!

Right now I just have Jalapenos, Banana, and something called a lemon pepper. I do have a Cayenne pepper plant growing that I'll use later and some other plant I'm unsure what it is, so once they turn red I'll taste one and see what happens. Also, they guy that gave me the plants grows about 15 different types of hot peppers so I'm sure as they are ready he'll hook me up with some.

I just have a few peppers I want to try a small batch to see what kind of results I get for future reference. I don't have the patience to wait for all my peppers to finish growing.

I love the flavor of Habanro, they put off an uncomfortable amount of heat. If you want to increase the heat, grill them, my gosh talk about wicked.

Yeah, the flavor is remarkable. I tell you what that Habanero salsa was the best salsa I'd ever had. I mixed some in to a box of macaroni and it became the best macaroni i'd ever had (only a tablespoon was necessary for a "family size" box). I've gotta get ahold of some more of that stuff.

A drop or two of habenero, yes, if he is throwing entire habaneros and scoth bonnets into the mix, he will have a severe colon cleaning hot sauce.

If you haven't copyrighted that name yet "severe colon cleaning hot sauce" I suggest you do it now. That's an awesome name for a hot sauce. I can only picture in my head what the logo would look like. . .LMAO!

My father and I used to make our own hot pepper sauce many years ago. We never boiled or cooked the peppers. What we did was get a nice size jar (we used a Sun Tea Jar), and fill it half way with vinegar, and then cut up a bunch of jalapenos and throw in a few habaneros.

Let the concoction break down over a few months, shaking the jar every other day. Strain when done.

It was absolutely the BEST stuff hands down.

Good luck with your endeavor

Id go with orange citrus instead of lime if you want a sweet hint to balance out the heat.

Orange citrus and garlic is redonkulous.

I almost picked up a mango to throw into the boil. I decided to keep the first batch basic so I can figure out what to add and what to remove.

Archived