Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

9/ll the Movie.

PCS

Sad thing is, it was going to happen sooner or later.

Showtime presents

US MAKE FIRST 9/11 FILM

Hollywood is for the first time recreating the events surrounding the deadly terror strikes on New York and Washington to mark the second anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

The TV film, being made by Showtime Networks Inc, will depict the attacks from the viewpoint of events at the White House following the strikes.

Titled 'DC 9/11', the movie starts on the morning of the attacks and follows President Bush's dramatic journey back to Washington immediately after hijacked jets ploughed into the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

The docudrama will also follow his first historic visit to Ground Zero, the site of the fallen twin towers in New York, as the world reeled from the impact of the attacks.

"Based on real life accounts, the film will interweave actual footage from these haunting events," a Showtime source said

The movie will star Timothy Bottoms as Mr Bush, Scott Alan Smith as White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, Lawrence Pressman as Vice President Dick Cheney and Penny Johnson Jerald as National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice.

Technically maybe the first, but the TV movie about Rudy G. featured 9/ll. Was a major part of the flik. Door's been opened wide now it seems. No word on secret Israeli agents driving SUV's or Secret meeting amongst the Bush administration planning the attack. :silly:

:cheers:

Let's not forget here that people have been CONSTANTLY making money off of 9/11 ... literally since it was still unfolding.

Most times people don't say anything about it. Think of all the T-Shirts, bumber stickers, flags, books, magazines, songs, TV specials, etc with 9/11 as a central theme that have been sold in the last year and a half.

Why is this movie any better or worse than Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" or the countless television specials (that got RAVE reviews, by the way) re-living the events.

Not saying any of this right or wrong, mind you, I'm just curious why we see some things as questionable attempts to make money and others as honorable depictions.

robert altman was on the boob tube the other day stating that he was against such a film....seems he is of the opinion that hollywood, through it's depiction of terrorist methods, bears some responsibility.......I didn't watch long enough to catch his true intentions: he didn't want to discuss the matter further and made the perfunctory "I'm not advocating censorship" statements

I'm of the mind that anything that reminds people of that horrible day is a good thing, whether someone's making a buck off it or not. I know that shortly after the attacks, there was a lot of emotional debate about what should be shown, whether it should be shown, how much of it should be shown, where should the desire to report the news end and the concern to protect victims families from trauma begin, and on and on. While I feel for anyone who was personally touched by Sept 11th, I still believe that every horrible detail of that day, no matter how hard to watch, should have been shown. People did leap to their death. Bodies did rain down on the NY sidewalks. I reject that it should be somehow 'sanitized' to make it more easy to accept. I know theres an argument to be made that 'we know what happened, we don't have to see it', but the impact of that day and what those poor Americans suffered in their final moments was real, and we should watch it and remember.

Let them make movies. Write books. Make us relive it. We just had our holocaust, and like those victims, we shouldn't ever let anyone forget it.

phish.....the weak of mind always need mental crutches...so let me explain in BIG BLOCK LETTERS (were you dropped on your head when birthed, btw?)

the comment being lampooned was intended as a sarcastic eyebrow raiser that some folks are making a buck off the thousands of deaths at WTC. I was simply pointing out that others are making $$$ off the deaths of thousands (in fact millions) of others also - so this is nothing new. or anything the left should be upset about.

my sarcasm had nothing to do with your disjoint thought process. it was more a reflection on hipocrisy: an idea structure you are obviously comfortable with.

just as an aside...even your reasoning is amuck...the victims of the WTC attacks didn't chose to die. then again, neither does an unborn child. get your friggin analogies correct little one!

cheers my addle-minded friend!!!!!

I think that there will eventually be a 9-11 Movie but I don't think it will happen until at least 2006 (5 years later), give the survirors and family members time to heal.

I hope it is someone like Steven Spielburg or Oliver Stone who directs it.

I agree with Tarhog to a point. I dont want some ahole like Michael Moore or some other anti-american filmmaker with an axe to grind making it.

Let one of the top guys do it. Make it historically accurate and dont airbrush out the nastiness.

I also think they should show the film of the planes hitting the towers every hour on every station so the people in the US dont forget why we do what we do.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Henry, I think it can be done the right way. Look at Schindlers List as an example. It didnt exploit the horrors, but it also didnt gloss them over.

Good point. However, if five years from now we see a movie starring Colin Farrell as the pluckly street rat who works in the mail room and falls in love with the wealthy but misguided and secretly miserable stock broker played by Reese Witherspoon, who's dating a dominating and elitist finace in securities played by, aw hell, Billy Zane, only to find thier love doomed as the South Tower crashes ...well, don't say I didn't warn ya.

I view the retelling of history as a way of memorializing the nation's struggles. Look how many for profit ventures - from books to movies - have depicted the civil war, the world wars, Vietnam, etc. And if you don't object to those ventures, please explain what the shelf life is on national tragedy before it can be discussed.

Archived