Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Skins/Vick AND Tanner Cooley's twitter and FB: Mike Vick was in Ashburn today.

theredskinsfan

He had 30 catches for 500 yards. I will find you lots of receivers whi had at least those numbers and did not start a single game. Most number 3 receivers get those numbers or better.

Well, last year I asked you to back up your claim that half the teams in the NFL would kill to have Stephon Heyer as their RT, and you never got back to me. So just in case, I did the homework for you.

In 2008, only 5 receivers started 5 games or less and had over 500 yards. That's not lots. Approximately only 9 third receivers had over 500 yards. That's not most. Combine that with the fact that Michael Vick only had 388 pass attempts in his final year, and the argument that it's Michael Vick's fault that Roddy White only got a bit over 500 yards as the #3 receiver and to put Vick in direct comparison with the likes of Joey Harrington and Chris Redman... That's just absurd.

Clearly he can't be in Virginia just because he lives there. Danny and Vinny must be up to something.

Well, I tend to side with those that he's just visiting friends he knows in the area, but Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York are all closer to DC than his hometown from Ashburn.

Well, I tend to side with those that he's just visiting friends he knows in the area, but Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York are all closer to DC than his hometown from Ashburn.

Aren't the NFLPA offices in DC? If so, he could've been there, and stopped off in Ashburn on the way home. Who really knows?

Well, last year I asked you to back up your claim that half the teams in the NFL would kill to have Stephon Heyer as their RT, and you never got back to me. So just in case, I did the homework for you.

In 2008, only 5 receivers started 5 games or less and had over 500 yards. That's not lots. Approximately only 9 third receivers had over 500 yards. That's not most. Combine that with the fact that Michael Vick only had 388 pass attempts in his final year, and the argument that it's Michael Vick's fault that Roddy White only got a bit over 500 yards as the #3 receiver and to put Vick in direct comparison with the likes of Joey Harrington and Chris Redman... That's just absurd.

Dont recall the Heyer thing and you may have me confused with someone but then again I have trouble recalling what I did half an hour ago some times .....

Interesting research - but lets take a step back.

My position/contention is that Mike Vick is a good football player and QB you can win with - but not if you ask him to win by throwing the football out of the pocket on a 3/5/7 step drop based WCO type offense. He will win with his legs, making plays throwing on roll outs, option pass/run plays and off play action.

The guy is a career 53% completion passer who has never had a 3,000 yard season in the NFL and who averages 13 TDs a year. Those figures are not opinion, those are fact. They of course miss out his running stats which is the whole point ......

Re the Roddy White stats. Your position is that Whites stats had more to do with him only having 5 starts than having an inconsistent QB who struggled to get the ball to WR's his whole career.

In 2006 - the year in question - there were 13 players who started 5 games or less and who caught more than 30 balls and 10 who had circa 500 yards + receiving. Some of these players had a lot more than 30 balls and 500 yards - Wes Welker had 62 catches on 2 starts and Santonio Holmes had 800+ yards on 4 starts just as examples.

You asked me if I could find receivers who had only started 5 games and produced those kind of numbers - answer heck yes. Lots is a subjective term - lets say some is that fair?

The receiver question starts to get away from the central point though - which is Vick is just not a good pasing QB.

The comparison with the 3 headed QB monster of Leftwhich, Redman and Harrington is interesting.

In 2006 Vick started 16 games and had 388 attempts for 2474 yards at a very poor 52% completion percentage. He did have 20 TDs though which is good in the offense he was running.

In 2007 with QB by committee the Falcons QBs combined for 555 attempts, a 60% completion percentage, 3,573 yards and 18TDs.

From a pure passer point of view those 3 very ordinary NFL QBs murdered Vicks numbers. Thats not saying they are better players or even QB's - just better pure passers.

The comparison is absurd though in that it ignores Vicks unique ability as a runner at the QB position. He had over 1,000 yards running in 2006.

My whole point re Vick is that he is not a QB you can bring in and plug into an existing traditional WCO or Coryell based passing system. You have to build your entire offense around him to take adavantge of his athletic ability and let him win you games with his legs. Asking him to drop back and throw from the pocket 30+ times a game would be like putting a tow bar on a Ferrari .....

As such he is a horrible fit for us UNLESS we are planning to throw out our current offense and start over and build an entire new play book around him.

The good news is that all latest reports are we are not that stupid and Vick will not be a Redskin making several hundred posts on this subject redundant.

Roll on the season when we can talk about things that actually have happened or might .......

Reporter on CNN just said that "Washington is one of the markets rumored to be in the hunt for Vick".

Rumors suck.

I just heard literally 30 seconds ago that Vinny Cerrato was asked by a reporter today if he is interested in Vick, and he simply responded, "No."

This was on the radio 106.7

I just heard literally 30 seconds ago that Vinny Cerrato was asked by a reporter today if he is interested in Vick, and he simply responded, "No."

This was on the radio 106.7

I don't doubt that.

I just think it's funny the Redskins are mentioned every time a big name player is on the market.:chair:

I don't doubt that.

I just think it's funny the Redskins are mentioned every time a big name player is on the market.:chair:

I do, Danny loves a circus :) and imagine all the Vick jerseys they can sell holly S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes sense, they don't care about protestors, you have all the VT grads that are still fans of VIck this is the one team that makes sense. Danny has already tried to get two other QB's this offseason why not go for the trifecta :)

Archived