Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Property Line Legal Question - Help needed

GoSkins561

Adverse possession... he has to continuously, openly, actually and in a hostile manner possess your land for 20 years.

BarBri at its finest.

Seriously, isn't it awesome to see this actually happens still? When you read these cases you usually think they are from like 1800 or something... funny.

If he fences you off or builds on it or acts to deny you use of it in any similar manner.

ie. getting pissed and saying something about cutting branches from a tree?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but for the most part it sounds like a long shot of him ever trying to pull something like this off.

I appreciate all of the feedback. :cheers:

I hate to do it to him, the would look like it runs right through the middle of his back yard. I almost feel as if I was taking his back yard away or at least a huge chunk of it.

Its your land, plus you offered to sell it to him. Perhaps give him a heads up before you put in a fence. If he doesn't mind, you're golden. If he doesn't like it, perhaps he'll give you a better offer for the land.

. If he doesn't like it, perhaps he'll give you a better offer for the land.

If the codes allow it fence the part facing his patio with bare galvanized sheeting (8ft tall)...perhaps he will reconsider,especially if the sun hits it right ;)

Really like threads like these. Neighbors of mine (good people, I think) are mowing at least a couple feet over what looks like the property line (based on my backyard fence and the property line according to the last survey is a straight line there) on my yard.

Guess I won't sweat it; unless they say something when I'm mowing there (so far, they haven't), or they plant something near or over where I think the line is.

Hail!

I am thinking about putting a fence up so I mentioned something to him about it. If I fence in the property he would have a fence approximately 20 feet from his deck. I offered to sell him the section of our property if he payed to get it rezoned and made a reasonable offer. His offer was horrible, however he did offer to continue to take care of the property if I didn't fence in the section of the back yard. That isn't an option i will fence in the entire property before that happens, I just don't want to be a dick.

The other day he lined up trees as if he has plans to plant them, again I don't care if he does, howe ver I am not sure of his intentions.

In real life I am a non confrontational person, I guess I am looking for a way to bring it up.

Place a natural fence with a row of Leyland Cypress trees. He can keep maintaining that part of the property till the trees fill the area in. That was my solution to a very similar situation.

After reading everybody's advice on this issue. I have realized that there are still too many 18th & 19th century laws still on the books. Squatters rights are stupid & should be removed from modern law. When someone purchases a piece of property that piece of land should remain theirs until they sell it or die. Nobody should be able to claim it by any means except purchasing it from the legal owner. I do know in Virginia that property lines never change. My old neighbor try to claim more property on both sides of his yard by having new fences put up & moving them out. Well, he ended up getting in an argument with the official surveyor when he was selling his house because they marked the official property line 2 to 3 feet inside his fence. Which made the fence he had put up legally mine. He tried to tell the surveyor that the fence was the legal property line. The surveyor had to explain to him that the property lines are kept in state & county records & that they never change.

After reading everybody's advice on this issue. I have realized that there are still too many 18th & 19th century laws still on the books.

This thread is going way to far.

A neighbor mowing a peice of your land with your knowledge does not equate to squatters rights.

Now if he built a shed on it and you let him without asking him to cease is one thing. If he started growing vegetables on it and making use of it for a purpose, then I would tell him to cease.

If I can just take over property by mowing it, I would start mowing my neighbors lawns for free. :silly:

The surveyor had to explain to him that the property lines are kept in state & county records & that they never change.

They can change if you have a surveyor do a replat and subdivide or combine lots or parcels. When lots are combined you may see a dotted line indicating where the former lot line was located. Such was the case on one of my properties where two parcels were acquired (in the 50's) and combined to make the building lot my previous residence was built upon.

Place a natural fence with a row of Leyland Cypress trees. He can keep maintaining that part of the property till the trees fill the area in. That was my solution to a very similar situation.

that's what I was thinking. plant a series bushes to form a hedge. even if you keep it trimmed to 4' high, it is in essence a fence defining your property line.

large_instant_hedge_58.JPG

Adverse possession... he has to continuously, openly, actually and in a hostile manner possess your land for 20 years.

Adverse possession, that was the term. I wish I could remember things one year later after I've been through the classes.:silly:

Anyway, the discussion of squatter laws probably is beyond the OP's situation, but there is a good point to make there. Why do they still exist?

Archived