Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for Cowboys Fans

jrockster21

Redskins are the biggest rivals, but my disdain for the Eagles and much of their fan base is greater after the Irvin and Juravicious incidents. I'm pretty sure that the Juraviciuos thing is the most tasteless and awful thing I've seen a crowd do.
Wait, what are these incidents?

But yeah, Cowboys biggest rivalry, Eagles fans biggest douchebags.

As a 26 year old, I have to say I did not consider the Skins to be our biggest rival. Most fans of my generation would say the Eagles. Partly because of their fans (no explanation necessary there) and partly because they were good for so many years while the rest of the NFCE sucked.

I do think the Boys-Skins rivalry is very different in DC than in Dallas. As someone who grew up in Dallas and moved to the DC area a few years ago, I experienced a bit of culture shock in football fandom. For Redskins fans, I feel like one of the most defining characteristics is a hatred of the Cowboys. The Redskins are almost defined by this, such as the whole "my two favorite teams are the Redskins and whoever is playing the Cowboys" mentality. The local (DC) sports talk radio is always talking about the Cowboys. If Redskins fans get together and start talking football, their hatred of the Cowboys is one of the first things brought up.

In Dallas, it's very different. It's all about the Cowboys. Being a Cowboys fan in Dallas is not at all about being anti any other team, it's about the Cowboys and nothing else matters. I never heard the local sports talk people talk about the Redskins unless they were playing each other or were in a tight divisional race. If I talked Cowboys with a fellow fan in Dallas, the Redskins would never come up. I also didn't know any Redskins fans until I moved to DC, so there really isn't the same sort of fan rivalry you see around here.

As a skins fan it will always remain a rivarly for me since my brother and dad are Cowbosy fans. Those 2 games are the most important for me every year. I will agree that it has definitely died down recently. I think if both teams become more competitve with consistent winning records it will renew the rivarly.

With regards to the fan bases of those teams, I order them like this, starting with the worst:

Eagles

Giants

Skins

Well that is obvious, you hang out here more than some of us Skins fan do, come on admit it, you LOVE the Redskins, it is written on your forehead in invisible ink ;)

As a 26 year old, I have to say I did not consider the Skins to be our biggest rival. Most fans of my generation would say the Eagles. Partly because of their fans (no explanation necessary there) and partly because they were good for so many years while the rest of the NFCE sucked.

I do think the Boys-Skins rivalry is very different in DC than in Dallas. As someone who grew up in Dallas and moved to the DC area a few years ago, I experienced a bit of culture shock in football fandom. For Redskins fans, I feel like one of the most defining characteristics is a hatred of the Cowboys. The Redskins are almost defined by this, such as the whole "my two favorite teams are the Redskins and whoever is playing the Cowboys" mentality. The local (DC) sports talk radio is always talking about the Cowboys. If Redskins fans get together and start talking football, their hatred of the Cowboys is one of the first things brought up.

In Dallas, it's very different. It's all about the Cowboys. Being a Cowboys fan in Dallas is not at all about being anti any other team, it's about the Cowboys and nothing else matters. I never heard the local sports talk people talk about the Redskins unless they were playing each other or were in a tight divisional race. If I talked Cowboys with a fellow fan in Dallas, the Redskins would never come up. I also didn't know any Redskins fans until I moved to DC, so there really isn't the same sort of fan rivalry you see around here.

My experiences in life are almost identical. I also grew up in Dallas...moved to Springfield, VA.....learned about the Skins hatred of the Cowboys...developed my own hatred of them...and then moved away. My hatred of them has followed me to South Carolina. :)

A lot of Cowboys fans have their top rival based on where their location is. As a Dallas resident, I am more in touch with the historical aspect, not the current aspect. Yeah, currently the Giants may be viewed as our top rival, but that is only current, and that changes. The Skins, however, will always be our top rival, and it will remain that way.

My most hated teams are, in this order:

Skins

Eagles

Giants

With regards to the fan bases of those teams, I order them like this, starting with the worst:

Eagles

Giants

Skins

Do you go to Eagles and Giants forums as well?

Any fan of Washington or Dallas who doesn't circle those two games every year hasn't been around long enough to appreciate what the rivalry is about. A Cowboys fan who doesn't remember the early 90's (before their streak against us) might mistake the importance of the rivalry. It is consistently ranked among the top 2 or 3 rivalries in the league (and one of the best in American sports) by people who know what they are talking about, both within the league and without.

Archived