Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Campbell confident he can prove himself to be right man for the job

SteveFromYellowstone

Campbell confident he can prove himself to be right man for the job

By Thomas George | NFL.com

Senior Columnist

Susan Walsh / AP Photo Amid speculation he was on his way out, Redskins QB Jason Campbell has been more of a vocal leader this spring.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810f996f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BETHESDA, Md. -- The grass was rich green on this side when Jason Campbell maneuvered 18 holes on Monday with three others at a country club course. The trio had donated generous dollars to engage with Campbell at this Make-A-Wish Foundation charity event, dollars that will help fulfill the wishes of children facing life-threatening medical conditions.

So Campbell, sometimes hacking, sometimes stroking, said he jumped in because this cause was unique and worthy. He said that people in the Washington, D.C., region have invited him into their homes and hearts over the past four years. That makes him want to build long-term relationships and keep giving here.

But as Campbell enters his fifth season as a Washington Redskins quarterback and the final year of his contract, he is still mending in his mind and heart what he considers an offseason full of rejection and challenge from his franchise.

Campbell vs. Cutler

The Redskins reportedly made a strong move to get Jay Cutler in the offseason before the quarterback landed in Chicago. See how Jason Campbell's 2008 stats compare with Cutler's:

CAM375235.jpg Jason Campbell

Games/Starts: 16/16

Passer rating: 84.3

Passing yards: 3,245

TDs/INTs: 13/6

Rush yards: 258

CUT288111.jpg Jay Cutler

Games/Starts: 16/16

Passer rating: 86.0

Passing yards: 4,526

TDs/INTs: 25/18

Rush yards: 200

"It looked like they were trying to move me up out of here," Campbell said.

The first shot was Washington's March interest in the Jay Cutler fest that concluded with Cutler being traded from the Denver Broncos to the Chicago Bears.

"I was hearing I would wind up in Tampa in a trade involving us, Tampa and Denver," Campbell said.

Next was the April draft and Washington's flirtation with drafting quarterback Mark Sanchez, who landed with the New York Jets.

"You don't just think about bringing in people like that unless you expect those people to play," Campbell said. "I didn't understand it. It didn't make sense. You are down on the wrong person. Other stuff needs to be done and resolved before challenging me. Sure, a lot of quarterbacks have been through this in their careers. You have to look at it as sport, a business, a profession and understand there is competition all the time and nothing is in stone. No guarantees. But you still get mad deep inside. And how you handle that helps determine if you are going to make your career successful."

Bottom line is that Campbell is sure he is a "franchise" quarterback. But he is not so sure the Redskins believe it.

On that last thought, he is absolutely correct.

"Y-E-T," spelled Redskins general manager Vinny Cerrato when asked if the franchise believes Campbell is a franchise quarterback. "As in, yet to be determined. Hopefully he is. We have talked honestly. It's past and we are looking forward. We hope he can play 16 games like he played the first eight last year. Consistency throughout.

"I think he's made a lot of progress. What he has done is take charge and be more vocal with the team. It showed in his offseason and in the camps. We want that. Absolutely. He's more comfortable now in the second year of the offense with (coach Jim) Zorn. That should enable him to provide more leadership."

You get it? Campbell does. This is a huge season for this quarterback if he is to remain in a place he considers home.

"But you can't think like that, play like that," said Campbell, "Because one bad pass leads to another and one interception leads to another and the losses come. But I know I have to have a big year and have them come to the table or get more options for myself. You know, this is a big year for me, but it's a big year for the Redskins as a whole, as a group from top to bottom. Everybody has to come together. It's hard to win without coming together."

Let's keep this in mind about Jason Campbell, age 27:

Click link for rest of article

If Campbell want to stay, he had better play. This is not something you want from a franchise QB,

In a career total of 36 starts, he has thrown 35 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions.
. I don't believe he has an entire year to prove himself. He may be lucky if he gets half of the season. So, I hope for his sake, if he wants to stay, he starts hot and stays that way.

Nobody "hates" Campbell and no one is rooting for his demise. Everyone wants him to succeed (his succeeding = Redskins having more success...do the math), it's a matter of whether or not people have faith in his ability to get the job done.

What? Do you even read ES? Maybe I need to import your ignore list.

The loud minority of fans who hate Campbell don't speak for the rest of us. We're behind you, Campbell, and we think you can do it.

Nobody's calling out Portis for stinking it up in the second half, because we all know that was an anomally. Why can't it be that whatever caused Portis to stink was the same thing that caused Campbell to stink? We all saw the flashes of greatness in that first half. Are we really that forgetful?

The loud minority of fans who hate Campbell don't speak for the rest of us. We're behind you, Campbell, and we think you can do it.

Yeah, I'm behind him and all, but this is his final year for sure...no more excuses after this year. I dont have much confidence in him though because he is inconsistent and plays flat way too often.

Nobody's calling out Portis for stinking it up in the second half, because we all know that was an anomally. Why can't it be that whatever caused Portis to stink was the same thing that caused Campbell to stink? We all saw the flashes of greatness in that first half. Are we really that forgetful?

Or are we just very liberal with what actually happened?

The very reason we had little to no passing game was in turn the main reason Clinton's yards dried up in the second half of the year. When team's finally got a read on Zorn, and figured out the run game was all the real O we had; they stacked the box, took away the run, and took their chances on the QB beating them through the air. Throw in that Clinton was beat up through carrying the O, and an ageing, struggling line, and it's not hard to see where the run game went.

Flashes of greatness the first half? Those flashes were few and far between.

He had the two real good back-to-backs in Dallas and Philly, and the odd "flash" like the game winner in the Saints game, but in the main, he was hardly the MVP that he was being made out to be in certain quarters, mainly on here. (8 TD's in 8 games, with 2 games bereft of any doe's not a Pro-Bowl/MVP caliber QB make. :doh:).

And I'd say judging by most every poll that's run here on the QB situation, it's hardly a "minority" of fans that have little faith left in the current starter.

But all this is just spurious debate that we can re-hash, and talk over until were all blue in the face with the arguments and counter arguments from the so called "homers" and "haters."

The simple fact of the matter, no matter how many articles are put up in his favour, talk is cheap in June. The real talking needs to be done from him on the field of play to finally prove he deserves the job out right.

Actions speak WAY louder than words.

Hail.

The very reason we had little to no passing game was in turn the main reason Clinton's yards dried up in the second half of the year. When team's finally got a read on Zorn, and figured out the run game was all the real O we had; they stacked the box, took away the run, and took their chances on the QB beating them through the air. Throw in that Clinton was beat up through carrying the O, and an ageing, struggling line, and it's not hard to see where the run game went.

So why is that Campbell's fault? Seems more like a Zorn issue and a partially-installed offense issue. I've been trying to hammer this point for a while, but before the 2008 season, it was widely discussed-- and I assumed widely understood-- that it took more than training camp to install a brand new offense. I heard everyone from Zorn to the media to people here talk about how it could take 2 or even 3 seasons to get things together, and people pointed to Seattle as an example. In his first couple seasons in Seattle, Hasslebeck played worse than Campbell did last year, but he and Zorn coached him up, got the offense going and things came together.

Campbell ran a new, partially installed offense darn well the first half of the season, and while I didn't like to watch it, I wasn't surprised to see the collapse.

Aside from all that, what's the over/under on how many more "Can JC be a good QB?" threads until the season? 500? 10,000?

The loud minority of fans who hate Campbell don't speak for the rest of us.

Nobody "hates" Campbell and no one is rooting for his demise. Everyone wants him to succeed (his succeeding = Redskins having more success...do the math), it's a matter of whether or not people have faith in his ability to get the job done.

I don't believe he has an entire year to prove himself. He may be lucky if he gets half of the season. So, I hope for his sake, if he wants to stay, he starts hot and stays that way.

The only ways he doesn't play out the balance of this year is if he gets hurt or he plays badly. The latter isn't likely because he hasn't played badly for most of his career.

That doesn't make any sense - teams focused on the run, which made the passing game WORSE???

I was curious' date=' how do other QB's lose their jobs?

He hasen't played badly for most of his career, has he played goodly?[/quote']He's played averagely. Averagely for a starting quarterback is pretty good, when you consider his upside.

It's good to hear that JC is getting some of the support that his fans are showing. I was wondering if the few negative outspoken fans were drowning out the multitude of supporters.

The sports media has very few true thinkers and way to many parrots, just repeating what they hear. For some reason, it seems like most everyone in the media believes he can do it. They seem to all want him to get a chance this season, and I don't really see anyone saying JC is a bust, except certain Redskin fans.

Now finding a good replacement... that's another issue.

Exactly right. There aren't a lot of good options. Trading up in next years draft will cost us plenty and will certainly affect what we can do along the offensive line. There are no UFA QB's that are realistically going to be available that I would consider to be an upgrade. If Colt is not ready to take over, then explore extending JC and even that may not be possible. Trade for Billy Volek? Have Volek handle it for two seasons and draft a QB?

Archived