Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People.Com: Farrah Fawcett R-I-P (sadly merged)

ECU-ALUM

Okay, she was an actress right? I thought I saw her in a movie where she was being held captive by some guys who broke in her house.

The Burning House?

Like, look at this, just mind boggling how pretty she was.

farrah.jpg

And yes, that is the highest selling poster ever, more than the Cowboy cheerleader and Marilyn Monroe ones.

The Burning House?

Like, look at this, just mind boggling how pretty she was.

farrah.jpg

And yes, that is the highest selling poster ever, more than the Cowboy cheerleader and Marilyn Monroe ones.

Thanks. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what here career was.

Okay, she was an actress right? I thought I saw her in a movie where she was being held captive by some guys who broke in her house.

She was the #1 draw, of the #1 TV show, with the #1 poster of maybe all time. Her then husband had the #1 show before her for about 5 years, which she regularly guest stared on. Together they were the power couple of the early 1970's. Think of Cruize/Nicol Kidman, Prince Charles/ Pricess Die, Brad/Angilina, or Obama/Michele; now combine and magnify; give the entire stage to Lee Majors and Farah. Not like today when there are 1000 tv chanels. Back then there were 3 national TV networks everybody watched, so basically everybody watched the same shows every evening. Everybody knew her, everybody liked her, most people wanted to be her, or date her.... ahum... even 12 year olds.

Farah had it written into her contract on her show that shooting had to end at 4 pm so she could get home to make dinner for Lee. It sounds corny today and it did then, but the nation ate it up with a spoon.

Then she further magnified her apppeal, by leaving that power marrage without any fuss; just a silent separation; with the nations gaping mouth following and seaking any tidbit of scandal; which never came..... Unheard of. Then she withdrew from her #1 TV show, for no explainable reason when the show was at it's height of it's popularity. Un heard of. They were throwing money at her, which she declined. She withdrew from the public for years, coming out with a movie every now and then. Which really magnified the attention she recieved for any project she was in. It might be hard for you to even comprehend what type of following she had. There really isn't anything like it today. She was the last of this type of TV star, who really ecliped movie stars of her day. I think media and information are so fragmented today; we may never see anything like her again. Today we have 12 or 20 ladies who all own a piece of the kind of attention Farah had pretty much to herself.

I think she could be more accurately described as a national obsession for 5-8 years... I don't think her apeal was for her acting which was always mediocre to poor. Folks are talking about the burning bed, but what folks are missing is the critics were not kind to Farah's for that movie. She was playing a woman who was brutalized by her husband, and who struck back and murdered her husband setting his bed on fire. Farah's sex appeal, which she didn't diminish but accentuated for the role, was roundly critisized at the time. Wearing skimpy outfits and still trying to appeal to her same Charlies Angels audience with a totally different role. She was the same Farah.

Farah's appeal was her looks, style, charisma, values and her character; which were all rather unique and closely followed by men and women alike for years and years during the 1970's. Her appeal really never wore out, cause she never really got over-exposed but was a pretty intensely private person for most of her prime and beyond her prime. ( 70's and 80's )

I don't know of anybody else who just turned away from sucess and super stardom like Farah did. Now it's true she tried to reclaim her glory with an unfortunate interview on the David Leterman show in the 90's where she came across extremely poorly; she also did a nude shoot for Playbody about 30 years late which was a poor carreer choice. But that was all 20-30 years after her national appeal was at it's height and she was caste in cement in most folks who watched how she handled herself in the 70's.

Think of Princess Diana, multiple by 100, and limit it only to the United states. Think of walking down the street and seeing half the women you meet with a replica of Farah's big hair, going to school and half the guys owning her poster, and 100% of the people boys and girls knowing and talking about her posters.. Folks selling polaroids of the poster for 1$ in the cafateria. That's what you missed, having missed the 1970's. Farah was a significant part of the entire 70's decade.

She was the #1 draw, of the #1 TV show, with the #1 poster of maybe all time. Her then husband had the #1 show before her, which she regularly guest stared on.

Then she magnified her apppeal, by leaving the #1 show, and basically withdrawing from the public for years, coming out with a movie every now and then. Which really magnified the attention she recieved for any project she was in. It was before the internet, when TV with only 3 networks was king. It might be hard for you to even comprehend what type of following she had.

I think she could be more accurately described as a national obsession for 5-8 years... I don't think her apeal was for her acting which was always mediocre to poor. Her appeal was her looks, style, charisma and values which were rather unique and closely followed by men and women alike for years and years during this period.

Think of Princess Diana, multiple by 100, and limit it only to the United states. Think of walking down the street and seeing half the women you meet with a replica of Farah's big hair, going to school and half the guys owning her poster. Folks selling polaroids of the poster for 1$ in the cafateria. That's what you missed, having missed the 1970's.

She was great in The Burning House.

She was great in The Burning House.

It was the Burning Bed, not the Burning House.

I remember reading Gene Siskal and Rodger Ebert who both panned Farah at the time.. ( 1984).

Mostly because she chose to introduce sexy, or was unable to stop herself from being sexy; for a role which called for anything but.

It was the Burning Bed, not the Burning House.

I remember reading Gene Siskal and Rodger Ebert who both panned Farah at the time.. ( 1984).

Mostly because she chose to introduce sexy, or was unable to stop herself from being sexy; for a role which called for anything but.

Really? So the Emmy nomination wasn't deserved (legit question, not sarcasm)?

As JMS says, she was literally inescapable in the late 70s and early 80s. If it wasn't the poster (which was everywhere, not just on teenage boys' bedroom walls. ) it was the TV show, or the trading cards, or the t-shirts, or her face on every magazine cover every month. You could not go a day in America without seeing her.

~Bang

As JMS says, she was literally inescapable in the late 70s and early 80s. If it wasn't the poster (which was everywhere, not just on teenage boys' bedroom walls. ) it was the TV show, or the trading cards, or the t-shirts, or her face on every magazine cover every month. You could not go a day in America without seeing her.

~Bang

You forgot ES.:)

farrah-fawcett-retro.jpg

Damn what a pretty girl she was.

Archived