Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2005-2006 QB Class: 3 Questions

I just realized...out of the 24 QBs listed in my OP, only two of them have been to the playoffs and actually played lol...(Young and Jackson). Or did I miss a few QBs?

The list is missing one quarterback drafted in 2005, though he never played the position in the NFL. Matt Jones was in the quarterback class of 2005. I always thought he was a good qb at Arkansas. He still holds the SEC record for most rushing quarterback yards. I was surprised that he never played quarterback in the NFL. He always gave Auburn fits everytime we played Arkansas.

The list is missing one quarterback drafted in 2005, though he never played the position in the NFL. Matt Jones was in the quarterback class of 2005. I always thought he was a good qb at Arkansas. He still holds the SEC record for most rushing quarterback yards. I was surprised that he never played quarterback in the NFL. He always gave Auburn fits everytime we played Arkansas.

I heard he's gonna be drafted next year under the pseudonym "Tim Tebow."

I think the comparion between Orton and Cutler is going to be one of the interesting things to see next year. I expect that Orton's stats will improve with the better supporting cast that they have there. I also think they were a big factor in making Cutler look good, since they took a lot of short passes and did a lot after the catch.

Cutler will probably be an upgrade over Orton in Chicago, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement. He was the beneficiary of some good receiver play. While he will benefit from having a stud running back, the WR play is going to be questionable and I'm not sure if Cutler is THAT good that he can make ordinary WRs look like good ones.

There was actually a good fantasy artice on that on NFL.com today.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d81067087&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think the comparion between Orton and Cutler is going to be one of the interesting things to see next year. I expect that Orton's stats will improve with the better supporting cast that they have there. I also think they were a big factor in making Cutler look good, since they took a lot of short passes and did a lot after the catch.

Cutler will probably be an upgrade over Orton in Chicago, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement. He was the beneficiary of some good receiver play. While he will benefit from having a stud running back, the WR play is going to be questionable and I'm not sure if Cutler is THAT good that he can make ordinary WRs look like good ones.

There was actually a good fantasy artice on that on NFL.com today.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d81067087&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

What if the Bears decide to land Plaxico (and he actually plays lol)?...

What if the Bears decide to land Plaxico (and he actually plays lol)?...

That would be interesting. But Plax is a very different mold than Brandon Marshall. Plax can go up and get passes, but he isn't exactly known as a tough tackle breaker, whereas Marshall is probably one of the hardest WRs in the NFL to take down. They got tons of YAC with him.

1. Rodgers - He was great, just no defense, that will change this year

2. Young - Defense won't be the same without Big Al and it will show on Offense

3. No - Mangini is wierd

It is funny that there are always excuses for other teams players but unless our players all play at HoF levels all the time they are trash .

Sure Rodgers put up BIG numbers but he lead the same team Brett Farve had at 13-3 to 6-10 . The defense was fierce compared to ours, leading the league in defensive touchdowns and interceptions . We were right at the bottom in those statistics .

Its the same argument I have against Cuttler . Sure he puts up individual superior stats but the Broncos as a team were far far better under Jake Plumber .

I am going with the homer pick and say Campbell is going to have the best year.

Dan Orlovsky has the best chance of being a starter

No . Anderson was a one year wonder.

Agreed. People are so stuck on Jay Cutler for some reason when it was Rodgers who had a statistically superior season and was failed on numerous occasions by his defense (moreso than Cutler, IMO).

why does everyone list the packers defense as the reason they went 6-10 as opposed to 13-3 the year before?

they were storming up the league in the first half and as i recall saved Rodgers ass on numerous occasions with a pick and even more so with a defensive TD.

i think rodgers will do better this year with the experience he gained but please don't say man, he would have lit the world on fire if only his d hadn't let him down because until woodson (or harris, whatever) got hurt and then later moved to safety they were in consideration for the top unit in the NFL.

The three questions:

1) Which QB from the first group do you think will have the best season in terms of both stats and wins?

I'll go through each...

Aaron Rodgers - He's got a decent offense as far as receivers go, but his runningback isn't all that great and his offensive line is decent. I think he'll do decently well this season, probably on par with his year from last season.

Matt Cassel - Kansas City will be an improved football team. I don't think that they will be as good as any of the other teams that have QBs on this list however. Losing Tony Gonzalez is going to hurt them a bit in the offensive categories unless Dwayne Bowe can step up and get the job done.

Jay Cutler - It's dependent on the defense. If their defense gets the job done and gets Cutler the ball with decent field position, I think Cutler will have a great year.

Kyle Orton - His team is looking pretty awful. That could prove to be different by the season... But hey, he's got 25 starting caliber runningbacks on the roster...

Jason Campbell - Also dependent on the defense... I think our D will be awesome again, but I can see problems offensively at least through the first few weeks. Hopefully he comes out firing, but I don't think he's going to have the best year of these guys.

OUTCOME: Jay Cutler with Rodgers RIGHT there...

2) Which QB from the second group do you think might end up as starter by week 8?

Alex Smith. Crabtree is his best chance to be a starter in this league again.

No, Anderson will not be the starting QB this year.

why does everyone list the packers defense as the reason they went 6-10 as opposed to 13-3 the year before?

they were storming up the league in the first half and as i recall saved Rodgers ass on numerous occasions with a pick and even more so with a defensive TD.

i think rodgers will do better this year with the experience he gained but please don't say man, he would have lit the world on fire if only his d hadn't let him down because until woodson (or harris, whatever) got hurt and then later moved to safety they were in consideration for the top unit in the NFL.

the packers scored a ton of points and their defense allowed a lot of points. when youre a QB throwing 25+ TDs and youre going 6-10, it isnt the offense. their D was ranked in the 20s for points allowed and yardage allowed. rodgers was not the problem.

and remember, theyre switching to a 3-4 this season, and if that doesnt click right away, theyre gonna struggle.

Archived