Extremeskins

WP: PBA to give Smoot entry into PBA event

SonOfWashington

This should be something to watch for. :laugh:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/06/pba_responds_to_smoot.html

PBA Responds to Smoot

smootbowlingpic2.jpg

Photos by Ned Dishman via the Redskins.

Yesterday, I wrote about Fred Smoot's ambition to become a pro bowler and bring his unique flair to the PBA after he retires from football. Redskins blogger Matt Terl did me one better, with a first-hand account of Smoot's bowling skills and a video of said skills. Meanwhile, longtime Bog reader Bob Moss wrote in, pointing out that Smoot would fit in much better with his new peers were he named Smootski.

Anyhow, the PBA has responded to Smoot's dreams, with a statement from Deputy Commissioner Tom Clark:

The PBA will give Fred Smoot entry into a PBA event and he can see where he stacks up against the best bowlers in the world. We think he might be in for a rude awakening because our pros are to bowling pins what he is to wide receivers.

Smoot would learn a lot about his game and get some tips from the best. We are sure he has a long way to go to get to the pro level but his enthusiasm for the sport can carry him far.

Anyhow, a PBA spokesman sent me some follow-up information to help us judge Smoot's chances for success. PBA exempt pros, he explained, "average 220-230 on PBA lane conditions, which are much tougher than what you see in a local bowling center (picture a U.S. Open golf layout when the rough is up and the greens are fast) Non-exempt pros are a notch lower and generally average 210 and up. Our amateur fields average 190-210 depending on how much experience they have."

But if he puts in the work, who knows. Regardless, the spokesman said the PBA could offer Smoot entry into an actual event this season, which would undoubtedly be the highlight of my year. More to come, clearly.

Fred Smoot Wants to Be a Pro Bowler [bog]

Fred Smoot Bowls With Tremendous Enthusiasm [Redskins Blog]

Fred Smoot Bowling: the video [Redskins Blog]

smootbowlingpic1.jpg

By Dan Steinberg | June 10, 2009; 10:29 AM ET

I haven't bowled in quite a while, but they are right about the lane conditions. The pattern of oil laid down for the pros is extremely difficult to play on. My Dad played in a league where they used that pattern (not sure how close it really was) and his "regular" average was down by 30-35 pins.

You have got to be kidding me.. because he bowled a 212? :hysterical:

After watching him bowl in the video's, his form is horrible and he cant even make a 10 pin, GL with that Smooot , you're going to get smoked lol Hell i averaged 212 when i was serious about bowling, and even then i wanted to turn pro, but didnt have the sponsors lined up to do so, and i knew it would be HARD so i decided not to.

I haven't bowled in quite a while, but they are right about the lane conditions. The pattern of oil laid down for the pros is extremely difficult to play on. My Dad played in a league where they used that pattern (not sure how close it really was) and his "regular" average was down by 30-35 pins.

:wtf: Bowling is hard enough as it is...well, for us scrubs that can barely get to 100 anyway. :)

:wtf: Bowling is hard enough as it is...well, for us scrubs that can barely get to 100 anyway. :)

My Dad has always been better than I am, but I just never played as much. Also, I had a compressed disk in my lower back (from sitting on my teeze eight hours a day) that made things rather uncomfortable.

The first time he played in a "sport" league with that pattern, he was used to averaging 190-200, depending on the league. His first time trying that same pattern the pros used, he averaged somewhere around 170 for that league. I think you need a combination of more speed and touch, which is what makes it difficult.

Archived