Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsday: ESPN officially hires Adam Schefter, late of NFL Net

bubba9497

Pick your top 4  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your top 4

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2009/06/espn_will_announce_wednesday_t_1.html

Click link for entire article

ESPN officially hires Adam Schefter, late of NFL Net

ESPN will announce Wednesday that Bellmore JFK's own Adam Schefter will join the network in mid-August - as soon as his contract with the NFL Network expires. His first day likely will be Aug. 17, when the Panthers face the Giants in a preseason game.

Schefter had been with the NFL Network since 2004 but has been off the air for several months after negotiations for a new contract went sour.

"I had a great time there and appreciate everything they did and I wish them the best in the future," he said by phone Tuesday. But . . .

"ESPN treated me the way I thought and hoped the NFL Network would - and I don't mean financially."

Schefter would not elaborate beyond that on his departure from the NFL Network, where he was among the biggest names in a smaller, less visible operation than ESPN's.

Speaking of which, how is Schefter, 42, going to get a word in edgewise as part of a crowded group of NFL reporters that includes Chris Mortensen, John Clayton, Len Pasquarelli, Ed Werder and Sal Paolantonio?

Click below for his response to that question.

"It's a little like the New York Yankees," Schefter said. "Just because they have a team full of people who are great players, that doesn't stop them from signing free agents."

Schefter is expected to have a presence on various ESPN platforms, including the Sunday and Monday NFL studio shows. "My role is still being defined," he said.

He added there is room for all of the network's reporters and analysts.

"They have so many vehicles for all of this, if I come up with news stories the way I hope to, they'll have an outlet for them," he said.

By moving from the NFL Network to ESPN, Schefter's visibility will skyrocket, especially on Long Island, where Cablevision does not carry the NFL's channel. (Schefter plans to live on Long Island and commute to Bristol when needed in the studio.)

"Visibility is not something that ever drove me," he said. "It's not something I ever paid attention to."

The NFL Network recently replaced Schefter with Jason La Canfora, formerly the Redskins beat reporter for the Washington Post.

"ESPN treated me the way I thought and hoped the NFL Network would - and I don't mean financially."

Schefter would not elaborate beyond that on his departure from the NFL Network, where he was among the biggest names in a smaller, less visible operation than ESPN's.

What the heck is all that about???

Don't care for Schefter. He was one of the guys who tried to keep Art out of the Hall of Fame for years.

Will never forget when he was on The Sprts Reporters and Czabe just poked holes in every single argument that Schefter had for Art didn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

Don't care for Schefter. He was one of the guys who tried to keep Art out of the Hall of Fame for years.

Will never forget when he was on The Sprts Reporters and Czabe just poked holes in every single argument that Schefter had for Art didn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

I remember that. That interview always left an impression on me as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Does he need his ego stroked a lot or is something else going on?

He seems like a smarmy lil' ass. For reasons unkown, I never really liked him. I just remember the video on NFLN when he kept getting up and down and leaving a conference room full of people when his Blackberry blew up with info on Tony Romo sits to pee's contract. Everyone in the room (Eisen, Soloman, Rod, Marshall, etc...) were sort of smirking and rolling their eyes. It doesn't surprise me that he insinuated he wasn't shown much respect.

Probably not a good reason to dislike someone. I'm just assuming he had a bad case of Little Man's Syndrome.

He probably didnt like it when Terrell Davis was making fun how short he is. Them 2 were going back and forth about something (I can't remember). Schefter takes a jab at Davis, then Davis said, "At least I don't have to stand on a wooden box when I interview somebody."

Then like a few days later, it showed Schefter interviewing some player and as the Total Acess went to commercial, the camera panned back and you could quickly see the box he was standing on.

Archived