Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: ‘Skins Avoided $1 Million Roster Bonus By Cutting Jansen

JimmiJo

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/29/skins-avoided-1-million-roster-bonus-by-cutting-jansen/

‘Skins Avoided $1 Million Roster Bonus By Cutting Jansen

A league source tells us that, in addition to the $1.35 million base salary the Redskins won’t be paying to recently-cut tackle Jon Jansen, the team also is off the hook for a $1 million roster bonus.

The bonus would have been earned if Jansen had been on the roster as of July 1.

Jansen also was scheduled to earn a $150,000 workout bonus. Assuming he was on track to satisfy the required percentage of participation in offseason drills to trigger the payment, a grievance could be pursued, if the ‘Skins don’t pay him the money.

Jansen’s argument would be that he would have earned the bonus, that he substantially complied with his end of the bargain, and that he was prevented from getting to the goal by no action or fault of his own.

The move clears up a total of $2.35 million in cap space, but that amount will be offset by any bonus acceleration applicable to the final two years of his contract — 2010 and 2011.

Quite honestly, these are the types of moves that we haven't made recently. We give Eagle fans a hard time because their FO is willing to let older, declining players walk, but it's the right move sometimes.

Our answer, on the other hand has been to defer the cap hit as long as possible and then find ourselves locked into 35-year old players!

Tough to happen to the face of the team for the early 2000s, but it is what it is.

The move clears up a total of $2.35 million in cap space, but that amount will be offset by any bonus acceleration applicable to the final two years of his contract — 2010 and 2011.

So what is the offset? I keep hearing $900K flying around. Does that mean the bonus for his final two years was $2.25 mil?

Well that makes some sense as to why we would do it now. But I still think they must like what they see in Heyer, Williams, and Bridges if they cut him now. We've barely gotten into the OTAs and they cut him.

Well only Williams is someone who you're not sure what you have...

Heyer has been here for 2 years and Bridges is almost 30 and has played for the Panthers for several years. They probably had a good idea they'd make this move unless something was going terribly wrong with those 3...

I'm worried about the move, the redskins have to be planning something else, maybe a trade, I don't know. Heyer is a good solid player but I would have still liked to keep Jansen, just because of depth.

What really makes me wonder about this whole thing is the fact that they could have let him go sooner and made a play for some of the other Tackles that were out there. Maybe they went up to Jansen and said he would be a backup this year and he didn't like the sound of that so he asked for his release.

Well only Williams is someone who you're not sure what you have...

Heyer has been here for 2 years and Bridges is almost 30 and has played for the Panthers for several years. They probably had a good idea they'd make this move unless something was going terribly wrong with those 3...

That's a good point. I guess they believe Williams can regain his form and be a valuable guy on the OL. I'm sad to see Jansen go, but at the same time we do need to get younger. I know Bridges and Williams aren't exactly young, but Heyer definetley is and we know he can be productive when he is in there.

The writing was on the wall for the last couple years with Jansen. I appreciate his contributions but it was time for him to go.

They tried playing him along the line during minicamp to see if he would be adequate at a spot other than tackle and obviously that didn't work out.

If Williams (cross our fingers) works out, then we would have him or Bridges starting (the other as backup) and Heyer as the other backup. I'm fine with situation. If it doesn't work out, there are other veteran tackles out on the market who still hasn't been signed.

It was fun reading some of the financial wizards in the other thread pissing and moaning about the money we lost and disadvantages of doing it now when they (per usual) really don't have sufficient understanding of "how it works" or even enough lay information to know wtf they're yapping about anyway. :)

That's a good point. I guess they believe Williams can regain his form and be a valuable guy on the OL. I'm sad to see Jansen go, but at the same time we do need to get younger. I know Bridges and Williams aren't exactly young, but Heyer definetley is and we know he can be productive when he is in there.

Exactly!

And compared to a 33-year old, injury-prone Jansen...they seem like rookies!

The writing was on the wall for the last couple years with Jansen. I appreciate his contributions but it was time for him to go.

They tried playing him along the line during minicamp to see if he would be adequate at a spot other than tackle and obviously that didn't work out.

If Williams (cross our fingers) works out, then we would have him or Bridges starting (the other as backup) and Heyer as the other backup. I'm fine with situation. If it doesn't work out, there are other veteran tackles out on the market who still hasn't been signed.

I totally agree with this, Good post.

It is exactly the type of move many wanted the FO to make but didn't think they had the balls to do so. Either based on (over) loyalty or the cap hit.

Good luck JJ.

It was fun reading some of the financial wizards in the other thread pissing and moaning about the money we lost and disadvantages of doing it now when they (per usual) really don't have sufficient understanding of "how it works" or even enough lay information to know wtf they're yapping about anyway. :)
Well, we did "lose" money(or cap space) and there are disadvantages to making this move now. However, the FO felt the advantages outweighed the lost cap space.

For some of us, the actual challenge is remembering to do $ instead of £

:)

Archived