Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAToday:Okla. trooper, paramedic nearly come to blows

SkinInsite

Gannett TV station WFMY offers this account:

Highway Patrol troopers and a paramedic nearly come to blows while a patient waits to be taken to the hospital. The encounter was caught on a cellphone camera by Kenyada Davis, the son of the patient in the ambulance.

The incident started when the ambulance failed to yield to state troopers en route to a call. Davis says the ambulance driver was trying to avoid hitting a car that slowed down and wasn't aware that troopers were nearby until it was too late.

After the troopers finished their official business, they pulled the ambulance over. A struggle ensued as they tried to arrest the driver.

According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, the paramedics assaulted the trooper just before the fight broke out.

The Okfuskee County District Attorney's Office is reviewing footage and could file criminal charges against the paramedic by the end of the week.

So much for inter-agency cooperation

full link

more videos

How are they charging the paramedic? Look, if I'm transporting someone in am ambulance and I make a legitimate move to adjust to some moron behind me and the cops decide to pull me over and then they TRY TO ARREST ME--what the??

Why would they try to arrest the paramedic before he even did anything other than make a bad (in their eyes) decision?

The person in the ambulance is important too, not just the troopers. I don't know all the facts of the case but from common knowledge, it's far more likely that a cop is an a-hole and aggressive or violent than a paramedic.

• 1 month later...

The punishment has been handed down.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/23/oklahoma.trooper.suspended/index.html

Trooper suspended 5 days for scuffle with paramedic

(CNN) -- An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper was suspended Wednesday for five days without pay following a highly publicized scuffle with a paramedic in Okfuskee County in May, according to the Highway Patrol.

The incident, which was caught on dash-camera and cell-phone video, showed Trooper Daniel Martin pulling over a Creek Nation ambulance for a traffic-stop violation. During the incident, Martin is heard repeatedly using profanity and twice getting into a scuffle with one of the paramedics.

Both paramedics and family members of the patient in the ambulance informed Martin several times by there was a patient inside, but he did not allow the paramedics to continue to the hospital while the video continued.

In a news conference Wednesday, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Captain Chris West said Martin "failed to recognize that it would have been more reasonable and appropriate to immediately allow the ambulance to continue to the hospital once he understood there was a patient onboard the ambulance."

Click on the link for the rest.

Archived