Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Elementary school policy rant

Grizz

Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?

• The Boondocks
    • Josie and the Pussycats
    • Dilbert
    • Angry Beavers
    • Rocko's Modern Life
    • Thundercats
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion
    • Dexter's Laboratory
    • The Critic
    • Powerpuff Girls

Ugh!!!!! I hate that people are so concerned with kids getting their feelings hurt. Everyone's a winner!! Hate it hate it HATE IT! Kids need to learn to fail, need to feel disappointment. This PC world we are living in is detrimental to those growing up in it.
+1 for truth. I thought it was bad when I was in high school, but the stories I hear from others about their kids and the schools now makes it sound like a communist system of feelings. you're all equally special and brilliant! :doh:

edit: since so many people seem to share this sentiment, it begs the question:

how did these people get in charge of our public schools? it seems like this is commonplace with everyone.

Unfortunately privacy laws won't allow them to put out a directory.

All the PTA/PTO needs to do is have parents sign a form saying whether they want phone number, address, and/or email listed. I couldn't live without my school directory! Here, everybody mails invitations (not everybody lists email addresses in the directory).

In your situation, I agree that your child should ask his friends to write their addresses and phone numbers on a sheet of paper. Then you can mail invitations, and you'll have the phone numbers to follow up with all of the parents who don't RSVP (huge pet peeve of mine how people can be so inconsiderate and not bother RSVPing and you have to hunt them down to figure out how many people you'll be having :mad:).

Argue all you want...it's an opinion and you have every right to believe that. However, I would point out that those who truly believe in civil disobedience as a way of making a point also typically are OK with accepting the consequences of their actions. Typically they try to get arrested, in trouble, etc. to draw attention.

They do not break the rules or laws and then try to talk their way out of facing the ramifications.

Your initial post said that Civil Disobedience (you did not use that term) is the cause for our problems as a society. You did not state it was an opinion, and you're clarification does not show how out contributes to a poor society.

On that note:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -Thomas Jefferson

Its not that he was intentionally breaking the rules to make a point. The child did something children do and the rule was broken. The father is making a point now that the rule is broken of how stupid the rule is. He told his child he was wrong so I dont see where you think this is a big deal to fight the rule?

That's fine. I wasn't saying that this kid in particular was attempting to make a statement...I was replying to a poster who compared the situation to Rosa Parks.

Back on topic, if this family is truly going to fight the rule itself and not just try to get the rules bent for them this one time and then forget about it, that's one thing and something I'm all for. There are 1,000 bad rules/laws out there and it's our job to do just that.

However, if the rule was broken, punishment was set, and this family is simply attempting to skirt their responsibility and get by, that's completely different. Do you see the distinction there?

Your initial post said that Civil Disobedience (you did not use that term) is the cause for our problems as a society. You did not state it was an opinion, and you're clarification does not show how out contributes to a poor society.

On that note:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -Thomas Jefferson

If that's how you took my opinion, I apologize for being unclear. Civil disobedience is different than feeling entitled and not taking accountability...those are the two traits I meant to portray as contributing to the societal problems we have.

Once again...

Scenario 1: A kid intentionally breaks a rule in order to draw attention to the lunacy of the rule. He's willing to accept the consequences of breaking the rule with the intention of getting the rule changed = civil disobedience.

Scenario 2: A kid makes a mistake and breaks a rule. Upon having to deal with the consequences, his family complains that the rule is dumb and asks the authorities in the matter to change the consequences FOR HIM <> civil disobedience. As innocent as this particular example may be, it's a symptom of entitlement (if I challenge this on a personal level, maybe I won't have to actually accept consequences) and lack of accountability (blaming the rule, not the fact that he knew the rule and disobeyed it).

Note: My opinions are not meant to throw this 10-year old under the bus. I'm just providing my take on some of the reactions in this thread. As I've stated, the rule itself is dumb. What I'm challenging is the opinion that we can just pick and choose which laws/rules apply to us and then attempt to sue or talk our way out of it...

Lastly, quoting people is great, but something tells me that TJ wouldn't be in love with many of the traits that are being attributed to his quotations...

If that's how you took my opinion, I apologize for being unclear. Civil disobedience is different than feeling entitled and not taking accountability...those are the two traits I meant to portray as contributing to the societal problems we have.

Fair enough. :cheers:

On that note:

Obay.bmp

Archived