Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funerals and Viewings

RedlightG20

So my grandfather's viewing is tomorrow, and the funeral is Thursday.

This will be maybe the 3rd funeral I have been to. So I was wondering, what is the main point of the viewing? To me, it seems that its just for getting people together, but this can also be done after the funeral ceremony. So is there some other reason for viewings, perhaps religiously or traditionally?

it's so you can go up and have closure and final words with your loved one in private....

My grandpa's memorial is next Saturday.... he died in January but his memorial was postponed to the spring. I'm going to be a mess. I'm sorry for your loss, I have been dealing with the same.

That's the same day as the 2-year anniversary of my Dad's death :(

It's been 2 YEARS, Mick?! Wow. Where has the time gone?

I have been to 4 viewings (both grandfathers, only Uncle, and best friend) and each time I said my final goodbyes and just have closure.

It's been 2 YEARS, Mick?! Wow. Where has the time gone?

I have been to 4 viewings (both grandfathers, only Uncle, and best friend) and each time I said my final goodbyes and just have closure.

Yea, but at least I had a chance to say goodbye while he was still alive, so that was "some" degree of closure

I worked as an Undertaker at Sarasota Memorial Park for over a year when I was a kid. (18-19). I drove the backhoe, tractor, trucks, ect. As far as I know and saw, the viewing is the last time loved ones will be able to be close to thier loved one who has passed, wether or not it is open casket. If closed like for some organ donars, lots of people leave hand prints on the casket, Ive even oversaw a funeral where people signed the guys casket in silver (dark wood grain metal casket, silver trim and handles) like a year book, at the viewing. If its open casket, people leave trinkets and things with the body before the casket is sealed. Lots of people touch the loved one for the last time as well. Hugs, holding the hand, even hands on the chest are not uncommon for family at a viewing... that stuff always raised the hair on my arms and neck when i saw it though.

Sorry for your loss :( Never easy.

Personally, my family has used my grandparents'/uncle's viewings as time for relatives and friends to get together and remember the happy times we've all shared. Of course there are lots of tears and sadness, but there are also many funny stories told and happy memories recalled. Maybe that's just us though...

Archived