Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You choose the captains 2009-2010 season...

Gart Monk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/02/AR2007100202457.html

"What the heck is a captain's patch?" the Baltimore Ravens' Jonathan Ogden asked.

Oh. It's a square patch with the letter "C" and four stars across the bottom. A player receives a gold star for each year he is a team captain and . . . "I don't even know what the captain's patch is about," the Ravens' Ray Lewis said.

Well, the purpose, according to the NFL, is to "support and recognize the importance of team leadership through the role of captains."

... at the recommendation of the league's six-member player advisory council (which includes Washington Redskins wide receiver James Thrash). Teams that designate season-long captains can have up to six players wear the "C" patch on their uniforms. The patches are not mandatory.

http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2008/09/team-captains.html

'We now have 2 captains from the offense, defense, and special teams. I'm sure that most Skins' fans could have made their team captain assumptions and came very closely to the actual selection but here they are. On offense Jason Campbell and Chris Samuels. Defensively London Fletcher and Cornelius Griffin (I thought both were obvious choices). And finally, not trying to leave out our special guys, Rock Cartwright and Khary Campbell made the cut." Cooley

OK lets choose six captains for 2009-2010

Sellers should be the 2nd special teams captain. He plays with intensity and energy like you want from a leader.

But hey, it's hard for us to choose captains because we don't see these players in a leadership role. We based things on performance, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Offense Cooley and Samuels

Defense Fletcher and Andre Carter

ST Cartwright and James Thrash

No way is Cooley captain material. He is a goof ball and a likable guy, but he is not all that focused sometimes. Listen to him on Elliott in the morning and he seems like he has no idea what's going on with the team sometimes. Like he literally seems like he wouldn't be able to name all the guys on defense.

Portis

Samuels

Fletcher

Griffin

Suisham

Cartwright

Is it hard to type while wearing a straight jacket?

Give me:

JC

Samuels

Fletcher

Landry

Rock

Sellers

I chose Landry because I think it's important that he becomes more of a "team guy" -- You hear all this talk of him kind of doing his own thing a lot of the time, and maybe giving him a "C" on his jersey would be motivation to lead this defense. We need a young leader on D to emerge.

(Another nice start would be getting rid of the purple shoulder pads and accepting the fact his team colors are now Burgundy and Gold.)

What has JC done to deserve a C? I wouldn't give one to Cooley either, he's still a tad bit immature(love him nonetheless!).

Offense:

Chris Samuels

Randy Thomas

Defense:

London Fletcher

Cornelius Griffin

Special Teams:

Rock Cartwright

James Thrash

making someone a captain is not only a way to honor a player, but also to challenge him

make a guy a captain who you really want to see step up and be accountable for the team's play.

id go with

Campbell

Portis

Andre Carter

Landry

Sellers

(another young ST guy who emerges)

guys like Fletcher, Rock, etc. - they dont need Cs on their jerseys for guys to know that they are leaders, whereas giving Portis or Landry the captainship would give them a hint that they need to put this team on their backs at times.

I personally think having a set captain is sort of pointless. Different players have different leadership strengths and weaknesses. Telling one guy he's the captain and the other he isn't is just kind of stupid. We have understood leaders like Fletcher and Samuels. I don't really think having a patch is important to designate someone as a leader. Someone becomes a leader from his play and teamwork. Other than having a captain for coin tosses, I don't see it as something to sweat.

Archived