Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

National Law Enforcement Memorial Day- May 15th

ljs

This to tribute my friend and fellow officer killed in the line of duty- Steve Cox of the King County Sheriff Dept in Washington State.

I went to the Police Academy with Steve, and can say he was one of the best human beings I've ever known. It was an honor to know him. Below is a copy of the blog I wrote shortly after Steve was killed.

December 2, 2006, King County Deputy Steve Cox was viscously shot in the head and killed by a well-known gang member.

December 3, 2006, 9 years ago to that day I met Steve at the Washington State Police Academy. I had the honor of being a member of Basic Law Enforcement Academy Class #472.

Steve usually sat in the back row, middle seat. I liked to sit by him, as he had a law degree already and was better than an encyclopedia. He was a leader and we looked up to him. Steve was older than most of us, a man whom we all highly respected. He had one of the strongest work ethics I've ever seen in a person. He was honest, friendly, funny, intelligent and humble. If Steve wasn't perfect, he was damn close.

There is a bond with cops that others just don't understand. Even if we don't know each other, we are still like family. But the bond is even deeper when you become cops together, as a team. Even though we all lost touch shortly after the academy and some aren't even cops anymore, the bond is still deep. Now one of us is gone. The feeling is indescribable. Unrealistic.

The past week I have battled feelings of anger toward the criminals, distraught over not being able to attend his funeral and complete disbelief that someone could actually kill him. I try to focus on the great memories I have of us at the academy.

Steve would be in awe if he knew of the impact he had on the world. He will continue to have that impact with his memories. 4,000 people are expected to attend his funeral.

Rest now my big brother in blue. I know you didn't mean to leave us.

We will take the watch now.

cox.jpg

There are article upon article about how much Steve impacted the community where he worked. From every criminal he arrested, to every citizen he helped- the whole community mourned his death.

Articles on his death:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003463400_webporter05.html

They even named a park after him last year:

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/dnrp/newsroom/newsreleases/2008/april/0405SteveCox.aspx

Here is a link to the LE Memorial website. http://www.nleomf.com/media/press/flag09.htm

FLY FLAGS AT HALF STAFF ON MAY 15, PEACE OFFICERS MEMORIAL DAY

A fitting tribute to the 18,661 law enforcement officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice throughout U.S. history

Rest in Peace Officer Steve Cox

Today is definetly a day to remember those who serve their states and communities and risk thier lives to protect others. We here in Connecticut have a ceromony next week in honor of officers who have fallen in the line of duty.

Before going on shift tonight I will definelty say a prayer for those families who have lost fellow brothers in blue in the line of duty.

Stay Safe out there

10 posts. 39 views. Telling.

RIP, Officer Cox.

And rest well, Dep. John Burkett. Very similar story to yours, ljs. John and I were good friends, and traveled the 2 1/2 hours to and from the academy with each other every week. Gave me time to get to know a good man very well.

John was killed helping to extradite a prisoner from PA. He was in the passenger seat, another deputy was driving, and they were hit at a very high rate of speed by a driver going the wrong way on an entrance ramp. John was killed instantly, when the engine block was shoved through him.

The prisoner actually got out his window. Managed to get his hands in front of him somehow, and was desperately trying to get John out of the car when EMS arrived. Whatever his crimes, God bless him for trying to save my friend.

Rest well all that were lost in service to their communities. There sacrifice was not in vain.

10 posts. 39 views. Telling.

Are you really surprised hog?

It is intersting. One cop does a stupid act and this board will go freakin nuts, talking all sorts of smack. Yet you try to say something nice and no one cares.

I do want to add K9's to this. I had the chance to train quite a bit with the Everett PD K9's department. Ikon was chasing a suspect who ran across busy I-5. Ikon was hit and killed as he was "apprehending the suspect, the driver never stopped. The suspect was located the next day with a bite wound to his shoulder. There were over 2,000 people at this dogs funeral. Damn near every K9 officer in the state was there, well over 150 of us. The procession of cars was unbelievable. Not a dry eye in the church.

Ikon

k9ikonalone.jpg

tp.gif

tp.gif

tp.gif

While I was in the academy, a young man going for his Eagle scout created a Bronze statue of a K9. His dad is in law enforcement and this kid wanted to make a K9 memorial. It is at the state academy, with the officer memorial.

K3.jpg

It is intersting. One cop does a stupid act and this board will go freakin nuts, talking all sorts of smack. Yet you try to say something nice and no one cares.

so true so true... We get such bad reputations by those 10% who are in every job.. We just work in a fishbowl

I was there the other night at the candlelight vigil. I'm probably going to go back today to take pictures of the temporary stuff they put up for my dad.

Prayers for you and your family. That happened in our District. I rode down for the vigil. Good turnout. Nice to see. Your dad will be added next year.

so true so true... We get such bad reputations by those 10% who are in every job.. We just work in a fishbowl

No one will understand the crap we go through untill they live one day in our shoes. The fact is most wouldnt even think of being a police officer.

It's actually 5%.:silly:

Thankless job we have. Every year we lose officers "fallen heroes" and it rarely makes a splash on the news front, but let an officer get in trouble one video and it's over 2mill views on youtube full of haters.

but let an officer get in trouble one video and it's over 2mill views on youtube full of haters.
Because it's an exception. The problem would be if an officer got in trouble and it DIDN'T make news.

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately for so many American's at some point they are either too ignorant of the law to respect it and have disdain for people in uniform because they try to serve and protect, or they have been a victim of an abuse of power from one of the boys in blue, or need protection and service and neither was there.

I can't speak for all people but I can certainly tell the story of when a drunk police officer pulled a gun on me in the parking lot of a "COP" bar...because I asked him if he had seen a friend of mine in the parking lot.

I know a correctional officer that was shot and killed senselessly in G'town iirc, because he was protecting his wifes honor.

I know a cop that smoked up with HS aged kids in a hotel room.

I have more good stories than bad, but the bad experiences people will always remember more vividly. It's sad but true.

Media could help that problem. I know the local coverage here tends to lean towards letting us know about the fallen officers. Killed or injured. They'll cover the odd bad one as well,but it's refreshing to see more good coverage than bad. I've had some good and bad experiences,but I can remember those good ones with a smile fairly quick. Back in my bartender/bouncer days,we all knew the local cops and they knew us. For my part,they had my back and I had theirs. We knew it and several times,proved it.

Another thought: have the good cops not help the bad cops ("the thin blue line" needs to vanish).

more than you know.

please don't turn this into a "bad cop" thread- its ofensive to those of us trying to honor a fallen brother.

thanks

more than you know.

please don't turn this into a "bad cop" thread- its ofensive to those of us trying to honor a fallen brother.

thanks

I realize that, I'm just saying (responding to PCS's post).

Officer Cox seemed like one of the good ones though :(

One of the good ones ?!?:doh:

We have thousands of officers here in Maryland alone. 99% of us are good ones not one of the good ones.

:doh:

Ok, he seems like one of the bad ones. Happy? :rolleyes:

One of the good ones ?!?:doh:

We have thousands of officers here in Maryland alone. 99% of us are good ones not one of the good ones.

I don't think that post was meant as an insult in any way.

LJS, I am sorry to hear of your friend's loss and all of the losses in this thread. I greatly respect the men and women of law enforcement. You do difficult and dangerous jobs that, frankly, I myself lack the courage to do. Thank you.

Archived