Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What stats do you find most significant?

Annonymous Source

On offense, I look at 3rd down conversions and Redzone % mainly. If I want to see what an offense is about i look at the individual position stats.

QB: Completion % and INT's. I dont look at TD's because your RB can be cherry picking a lot of those in the redzone.

WR: YAC, Drops, Average catch, Longest catch.

RB: Average yards per down, yards after contact, red zone td's, ect

On Defense, I look at Average yards against, points against, redzone % and turn over ratio.

Sacks,

Pressures,

Int's

FF

and FR.

I look at the D as more of a unit unless i see glaring problems or stand out stats, then ill look at the player analysis.

I seem to pick apart and criticize the skill positions on offense because that is what this team has lacked for quite some time. With Williams we always had a staunch D, last season top five again. We need an offense to match the play our defense gives us.

Peter King made a good point about measuring defensive success. 3 stats that tell the tale of a good or bad defense are Yards Per Carry, Yards Per Pass Attempt, and Turnovers forced. Its pretty obvious when you think about it, it's one of the better ways to compare one defense to another while minimizing outside factors that would influence success like possession time.

That certainly makes more sense than the NFL rankings based on yardage.

Coming from a Colt fan, I have to say Time of Possession means very little. Hawaii always lost the time of possession battle but it was because Colt would drive the field 80 yards in four plays and take about a buck-twenty off the clock while the other team would grind off about five or six minutes on their possession.

Archived