Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What stats do you find most significant?

Annonymous Source

I think many of the debates on this site about personell and sucess vs failure are largely responsible to how we as fans measure sucess (other than Wins). With this being the case just thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to debating the relative merits of different statistics.

Which ones do you find most important and most misleading?

for me most important is +/- turnover ratio, and # of 3 and outs that each defense gets.

I dont really feel like going into the turnovers, but with 3 and outs it always seems like the team that gets more 3 and outs is the team that is playing better football that day (Channeling Madden), so if that stat is combined with the turnovers it usually leads to a pretty commanding position for your team

most misleading stat is YPG.

this stat has next to nothing to do with the outcome of the game, and I feel that it is far too heavily relied on by people around the leauge and in this forum.

thoughts?

:helmet::helmet:

I definitly said besides wins...

It's the most important stat IMO, but besides that I'd have to say passer rating is a worthless stat but yards per rush, and yards per attempt are typically pretty telling stats.

As far as defenses go 3rd down efficiency.

:2cents:

The one that bugs me the most is CARRIES PER GAME -- every commentator and sportscaster in history sputters on and on about teams that give their RB's x # of carries per game win. Everybody knows that when your team is winning, you give the ball to the RB late to eat the clock. Stupid.

That said, incredibly important stats for me include: Punts inside the 20, Points off turnovers, Plays 20 yards or over, Field goal percentage, Red Zone efficiency (O and D), # of player touches (Spreading the ball around), and finally, simply yards per carry.

There are probably more but that's a good start.

- FUF

3-and-outs by the offense, sacks against our offense, QB hurries, and the stats you don't see, like missed blocks, lack of downfield blocks by OL, width of holes in running game, how close the DL was when the QB threw the ball.

I still remember the Skins of the 80's and early 90's, when the QB could have taken a lawn chair to the backfield, sat down, ordered a burger and still waited for his receivers to clear.

Besides the obvious, average starting feild position can tell a lot about a game. It never seems to bode well when the team we're playing is constantly starting drives in or very close to our side of a feild the majority of the game. A lot of factors go into these scenarios, but when are getting wipped in this stat, 9 times out of 10 we lose the game. I'm hoping the swing goes in our favor because it will help our offense a lot for them to still suck and only have to go 20-30 yards to get in feild goal range.

The most important stat that I like is how many times a QB looks at his 3rd and 4th recievers instead of just looking at the number 1 and number 2 WR then just throwing the ball to the check down.

Other than that I would have to say ankle to calf ratio

For a QB, I think yards per attempt is a pretty important stat.

For a RB, I like to look at yards after contact. Shows if a RB can get a way from tacklers and that they don't go down right away.

For a WR, yards after catch. I want to see if they catch it and fall down or catch it and make a big play.

For defense, I'd say points per game. If they do their job of not letting the other team score, it should make the offense's job that much easier.

thoughts?

:helmet::helmet:

I'm gonna focus only on the Redskins, these are the stats that imo will tell us what kind of success we'll have next year......

Sacks allowed

Cooley, Davis, Malcolm Kelly/Devin Thomas Redzone Targets

Redzone efficiency

YPA (yards per pass attempt)

Passing TDs

Defensive turnovers

Defensive sacks, hurries

Field Goal Efficiency

Punting Average

Punt return average

Kickoff Distance

imho this is one of the silliest questions ever asked......

there is only 2 stats that really matter, wins & losses. period. end of story.

All the other stats don't matter in the least little bit if the losses column outweighs the wins column.

just my 2cents

Peter King made a good point about measuring defensive success. 3 stats that tell the tale of a good or bad defense are Yards Per Carry, Yards Per Pass Attempt, and Turnovers forced. Its pretty obvious when you think about it, it's one of the better ways to compare one defense to another while minimizing outside factors that would influence success like possession time.

Archived