Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama orders stop to detainee photo releases

SkinInsite

I am about free speech and transparency so:

----

Release the pictures that are absolutely provable as torture. After you arrest the people that were doing the torture at the time.

----

The problem is, putting a cricket in a terrorists cell is considered torture now a days.

:doh: The naivete around here astounds me.

Answer this question: how does releasing these pictures benefit ANYONE?

We are addressing the situation, dealing with those involved, and trying to rectify the situation.

What will releasing pictures accomplish? Will they help further rectify this matter? Or will they piss a lot of people off over a matter that is already being addressed?

If this situation was completely being ignored, I could almost see the argument in releasing pictures to spur on reforming action. But since the situation is already being addressedd, releasing pictures will just incite people's emotions in a situation that is ALREADY BEING ADDRESSED.

Releasing the photos won't undo what has already been done. It probably will piss off alot of people, including alot of Americans.

Here's why I think they should be released:

Photos get released. People are horrified because they are able to see exactly what happened and vicariously feel the pain of the victims. There's a public outcry against detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan. The American people say loudly and clearly that they will not tolerate that type of stuff going on in their name. The next time some yahoo prison guard thinks about getting his jollies by torturing a prisoner, he won't be as apt to do it.

Call me naive. I think when someone does something shameful, they should be publicly shamed instead of coddled.

The problem is, putting a cricket in a terrorists cell is considered torture now a days.

Exhibit A as to why we need to see the photos.

If none of us can see what happened with our own eyes, you are free to spew the nonsense that all we are talking about is pig suits and crickets.

Releasing the photos won't undo what has already been done. It probably will piss off alot of people, including alot of Americans.

Photos get released. People are horrified because they are able to see exactly what happened and vicariously feel the pain of the victims. There's a public outcry against detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan. The American people say loudly and clearly that they will not tolerate that type of stuff going on in their name. The next time some yahoo prison guard thinks about getting his jollies by torturing a prisoner, he won't be as apt to do it.

I think you couldn't be more off, I think you would find Americans saying, do what ever it takes to protect Americans lives. It's a small majority of whacked out hippies like yourself that are hell bent on prosecuting and exposing our troops for making two naked terrorists hug each other.

There are defined torture procedures. Pictures will not prove or disprove a 1 seconds capture in time. IF these are going to be released as evidence then a judicial process should come before the release to ensure they are correct in what they depict.

It is my understanding that the bug in the room was discussed but never done.. hence the follow through to ensure these pictures speak more than 0 words.

Exhibit A as to why we need to see the photos.

If none of us can see what happened with our own eyes, you are free to spew the nonsense that all we are talking about is pig suits and crickets.

To be honest, I don't care if we give a few beat downs, and put cobras in their cells if it means protecting Americans lives and gaining intel. I don't need to see pictures, it doesn't do me any good.

I think you couldn't be more off, I think you would find Americans saying, do what ever it takes to protect Americans lives. It's a small majority of whacked out hippies like yourself that are hell bent on prosecuting and exposing our troops for making two naked terrorists hug each other.

Making two naked terrorists hug each other protects American lives how?

Has anyone seen the Nat Geo documentary on Gitmo?

I was amazed at what our troops put up with, especially the females. These guys spit, throw feces, sperm and piss at our ladies in uniform, cuss at them all day, no wonder why they get thier asses whipped.

It doesn't, however showing pictures of this to Muslim communities would create outrage and put our troops in harms way.

I can't really argue with someone who thinks that the evidence of crimes we committed is more damaging to us than committing the crimes in the first place.

Making two naked terrorists hug each other protects American lives how?

So you're saying its torture to make two terrorists hug each other?

So the CareBears and TelleTubbies and Fat ass purple dinosaur are "promoting" torture?

Clothing is only at best 1/16th of an inch thick so it can't be that part.

Who cares what it could be used for if it's the truth?

We're scared that they might use the truth for propaganda purposes while we cover up evidence of our wrongdoing?

I see your point but who is really getting manipulated here?

Reality check. No one got away with anything. Investigations continue and people have been and will be punished. Photos don't change any of that. The only thing they do is create anti american propaganda. Now I'm sure that in your mind, that would be just fine. But thankfully, Obama is a hell of a lot smarter than you. :doh:

So, if we instead simply release the fact that we have photos of abuse, but we won't release them, because they're too shocking, then that same audience will think . . .

Do you really want to try to claim that the actual photos are worse that what they are going to imagine?

What exactly do you think most of the Muslim world already imagines? That's not gonna change. But to ignore the power of an image is to ignore basic psychology.

Reality check. No one got away with anything. Investigations continue and people have been and will be punished. Photos don't change any of that. The only thing they do is create anti american propaganda. Now I'm sure that in your mind, that would be just fine. But thankfully, Obama is a hell of a lot smarter than you. :doh:

It's not just fine. But to me, the propaganda was created by the abuse occurring in the first place. The way to stop that type of abuse from occurring again is to expose it and condemn it, not by coddling the military and the public by not showing us the evidence of the crimes that were committed in our name.

Which do you think is a better recruiting tool for these people? The fact that there is a foreign army in their country that they know abuses prisoners or the release of these photos?

What exactly do you think most of the Muslim world already imagines? That's not gonna change. But to ignore the power of an image is to ignore basic psychology.

That's precisely why the American people need to see the images. Maybe if we had to live with the nasty side effects of occupations, we wouldn't be so quick to occupy other countries without having some idea of when to get out.

That's precisely why the American people need to see the images. Maybe if we had to live with the nasty side effects of occupations, we wouldn't be so quick to occupy other countries without having some idea of when to get out.

Let me guess, you are one of those people that whine about atrocities, yet have a problem when the US lays the smack down. What's odd is, we almost actually agree, I say screw em. If they want to blow up busses, kill millions of innocent people and treat women like crap, let them. My dilema is.... we are Americans and that isn't what we do.

Let me guess, you are one of those people that whine about atrocities, yet have a problem when the US lays the smack down. What's odd is, we almost actually agree, I say screw em. If they want to blow up busses, kill millions of innocent people and treat women like crap, let them. My dilema is.... we are Americans and that isn't what we do.

We just blow up houses, kill thousands of innocent people, and treat prisoners like crap.

Call me naive. I think when someone does something shameful, they should be publicly shamed instead of coddled.

They aren't being "coddled." The issue is being addressed, that is not coddling, that is handling the issue responsibly and intelligently.

You and others with your mindset just want to release these photos to play on people's emotions...something that is completely irresponsible when the issue is being taken care of by Obama and his administration.

What can Americans' emotions do to deter this type of behavior? It's legal proceedings and administrative policy that deters this type of behavior, not a divided American population, which is what these pictures will do...further divide America. Obama is being smart by listening to the higher ups in the DoD.

This really puts people in a spot doesn't it? Obama doing the same thing as Bush and using the same reason.

Well, not quite the same thing.

Bush's people actually did the deeds at issue.

Obama is just deciding how best to handle the aftermath.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that an overwhelming majority of Americans wouldn't support another Iraq with or without the release of these photos.

Well, not quite the same thing.

Bush's people actually did the deeds at issue.

Obama is just deciding how best to handle the aftermath.

With respect to releasing the photos I believe it is about the same outcome...and the same justification.

Of course Obama's "people" aren't doing this...they are just shooting people at PTSD clinics.

Archived