Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama orders stop to detainee photo releases

SkinInsite

President Obama has ordered government lawyers to object to the planned release of additional detainee photos, according to an administration official.

The Defense Department was set to release hundreds of photographs showing alleged abuse of prisoners in detention facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"Last week, the president met with his legal team and told them that he did not feel comfortable with the release of the [Defense Department] photos because he believes their release would endanger our troops, and because he believes that the national security implications of such a release have not been fully presented to the court," the official said.

"At the end of that meeting, the president directed his counsel to object to the immediate release of the photos on those grounds. ... [Obama] strongly believes that the release of these photos, particularly at this time, would only serve the purpose of inflaming the theaters of war, jeopardizing U.S. forces, and making our job more difficult in places like Iraq and Afghanistan."

It's going to be a **** storm.

And the photo will probably be leaked anyways.

Wait, I thought Obama hated our troops and wanted to embarrass them at every opportunity. Rush and Hannity and Levin told me that Obama wanted to release those photos to gain political advantage. How can this be spun into a negative about Obama.... think, think....

I've got it. He's WAFFLING! He's a waffler!

No, wait... he wants to protect Nancy Pelosi! That's it... err, no...

No, no... he's going to leak them himself, then he gets the credit for opposing it and still does the political damage! errr... dammit...

Wait, I thought Obama hated our troops and wanted to embarrass them at every opportunity. Rush and Hannity and Levin told me that Obama wanted to release those photos to gain political advantage. How can this be spun into a negative about Obama.... think, think....

I've got it. He's WAFFLING! He's a waffler!

No, wait... he wants to protect Nancy Pelosi! That's it... err, no...

No, no... he's going to leak them himself, then he gets the credit for opposing it and still does the political damage! errr... dammit...

Careful or you're going to get a hemorrhage on the right side of your brain.

Good for Obama, we don't need to see these pictures, the world doesn't need to see these pictures.

The world didn't need for these atrocities to happen, but they did. Hiding the evidence won't make it go away, it will just let the weak-minded sleep better at night knowing that their troops are always the good guys.

Should the pictures of the holocaust and the genocide in Rwanda be hidden away some where because they are too shocking to the sensibilities? Should Muslim governments try to keep pictures of 9/11 from their people? It takes an image to fully illustrate the barbarism that went on in our names.

Who do you want this hidden from? Americans or Iraqis/Muslims?

The world didn't need for these atrocities to happen, but they did. Hiding the evidence won't make it go away, it will just let the weak-minded sleep better at night knowing that their troops are always the good guys.

Should the pictures of the holocaust and the genocide in Rwanda be hidden away some where because they are too shocking to the sensibilities? Should Muslim governments try to keep pictures of 9/11 from their people? It takes an image to fully illustrate the barbarism that went on in our names.

One difference there buddy, those are over with, these are still going on.

Good for Obama, we don't need to see these pictures, the world doesn't need to see these pictures.

Right. Because everybody knows that if we don't release photos that we have in our possession documenting the fact that we've been abusing prisoners, then the world will think we aren't abusing prisoners, and therefore the world won't get mad at us.

One difference there buddy, those are over with, these are still going on.

So, your argument is that it's morally OK to commit atrocities, and to hide the evidence that you're doing so, as long as you're still committing the atrocities?

You only have to 'fess up if you've stopped?

So, your argument is that it's morally OK to commit atrocities, and to hide the evidence that you're doing so, as long as you're still committing the atrocities?

You only have to 'fess up if you've stopped?

It is clear he is talking about the wars still going on not the attrocities. Unwind your panties a bit. ;)

Right. Because everybody knows that if we don't release photos that we have in our possession documenting the fact that we've been abusing prisoners, then the world will think we aren't abusing prisoners, and therefore the world won't get mad at us.

There's a legitimate argument for not publicizing certain things that would be very easy for hardliners in the Muslim world to show to easily-swayed populaces who live in a society in which they have been told thousands of times that America is a bloodthirsty empire that wants to kill Muslims and conquer their homeland.

(They're obviously going to be trying to manipulate those people anyway, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And I'm guessing that you know that I'm vehemently against torture and denying rights to prisoners in the WoT, so it's not about that. It's about what the pictures could be used for.)

There's a legitimate argument for not publicizing certain things that would be very easy for hardliners in the Muslim world to show to easily-swayed populaces who live in a society in which they have been told thousands of times that America is a bloodthirsty empire that wants to kill Muslims and conquer their homeland.

(They're obviously going to be trying to manipulate those people anyway, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And I'm guessing that you know that I'm vehemently against torture and denying rights to prisoners in the WoT, so it's not about that. It's about what the pictures could be used for.)

Well said Hubbs, and I'm pleased with President Obama's decision on this.

1. you are comparing dressing a terrorist in a pig outfit(not sure what all they did, just speculating) to genocide and The Holocaust?

2. I could care less what the leaders of the Muslim ran crap holes think

3. I am glad Obama is putting our soldiers lives and The United States before self gratification.

Who cares what it could be used for if it's the truth?

We're scared that they might use the truth for propaganda purposes while we cover up evidence of our wrongdoing?

I see your point but who is really getting manipulated here?

1. you are comparing dressing a terrorist in a pig outfit(not sure what all they did, just speculating) to genocide and The Holocaust?

I'm thinking of famous atrocities that none of us would really be able to grasp in our heads without pictures of what actually happened. Of course detainee abuse is not as severe as the holocaust. However, pictures of cruelty and barbaric acts are powerful. They win Pulitzers all the time. Do you feel the same thing when you read about waterboarding in a memo and when you see a demonstration on TV? I know I don't.

We're scared that they might use the truth for propaganda purposes while we cover up evidence of our wrongdoing?

I see your point but who is really getting manipulated here?

Who cares what it's used for? Um, if it results in things going boom, then I think the answer would be "pretty much everyone."

You're confusing truth with discretion (and I admit that the line between them is something people will argue over). We're not lying about what happened by not releasing the photos. If this were about covering up the very fact that we tortured, I would have a different opinion. Based on the information available, it's not. It's about keeping photos of things we've admitted to doing private. That's not hiding the truth, anymore than not releasing photos of a murder victim would be "hiding the truth" if the murderer had already confessed. The truth is already out. Releasing the photos won't change it. But releasing the photos does provide a horrendously easy propaganda tool for an area of the world in which an enormous chunk of the population is illiterate.

Do you feel the same thing when you read about waterboarding in a memo and when you see a demonstration on TV? I know I don't.

Easy answer from me, and not to derail the thread why does it matter if it protects Americans?

How does releasing the photos benefit you or any of us for that matter?

:doh: The naivete around here astounds me.

Answer this question: how does releasing these pictures benefit ANYONE?

We are addressing the situation, dealing with those involved, and trying to rectify the situation.

What will releasing pictures accomplish? Will they help further rectify this matter? Or will they piss a lot of people off over a matter that is already being addressed?

If this situation was completely being ignored, I could almost see the argument in releasing pictures to spur on reforming action. But since the situation is already being addressedd, releasing pictures will just incite people's emotions in a situation that is ALREADY BEING ADDRESSED.

But releasing the photos does provide a horrendously easy propaganda tool for an area of the world in which an enormous chunk of the population is illiterate.

Bingo, we have a winner. Aside from extremists using the photos, people like Sparkle could use them to continue the "Smear Bush Campaign".

So, if we instead simply release the fact that we have photos of abuse, but we won't release them, because they're too shocking, then that same audience will think . . .

Do you really want to try to claim that the actual photos are worse that what they are going to imagine?

Who cares what it's used for? Um, if it results in things going boom, then I think the answer would be "pretty much everyone."

You're confusing truth with discretion (and I admit that the line between them is something people will argue over). We're not lying about what happened by not releasing the photos. If this were about covering up the very fact that we tortured, I would have a different opinion. Based on the information available, it's not. It's about keeping photos of things we've admitted to doing private. That's not hiding the truth, anymore than not releasing photos of a murder victim would be "hiding the truth" if the murderer had already confessed. The truth is already out. Releasing the photos won't change it. But releasing the photos does provide a horrendously easy propaganda tool for an area of the world in which an enormous chunk of the population is illiterate.

I'd prefer the whole truth rather than filtered, discretionary truth.

To further your analogy, I see it as more of a trial. Sure we already know who the murderer is. But should the murderer himself have the discretion to decide whether or not the jury and the public are allowed to see photos of what he did to his victim?

Archived