Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scoutcom - Minicamp Impressions: Philadelphia Eagles

HapHaszard

http://was.scout.com/a.z?s=71&p=2&c=862899&refid=400

Scout.com's Adam Caplan gives an overview of what he saw during a recent minicamp from the Philadelphia Eagles.

Last week marked the first time that the Philadelphia Eagles practiced as a team since the playoffs in late January.

Here's a look at some quick impressions from what we saw from both sides of the ball.

Offense

OFFENSIVE LINE DEPTH VERY APPARENT: Much like last season, Philadelphia had pretty solid depth along their offensive line. Even with projected starters (LG) Todd Herremans and Stacy Andrews and key backup G Max Jean-Gilles out of this minicamp due to the rehab from their various surgeries, there's still a lot of depth to be found.

Returning to full-time practice was OT King Dunlap, who looks to be competing for the backup left tackle job. Dunlap had a strong training camp last year before suffering a season-ending injury late last August. Starting RG Shawn Andrews was moved to RT and that move looks to have a good chance of being permanent going forward. Second-year Gs Mike McGlynn and Mike Gibson will compete for backup jobs. Fourth-year OL Winston Justice looks to compete for the backup RT job. The versatile Nick Cole ran with the starters at RG. Once Stacy Andrews proves that he's ready to go, Cole might be given a chance to win the starting center job in training camp. 2009 draft selections Paul Fanaika and Fenuki Tupou will be given a chance to win jobs in training camp, but both would seem to be long shots at this point. And lastly, Chris Patrick, who was signed off their practice squad late last season, can play right tackle or either of the guard spots.

Just by watching practice and looking at their roster, Philadelphia has at least eight offensive linemen who are capable of playing guard.

WESTBROOK BACK TO NORMAL?: While it may not mean much to some, it might be very significant that starting RB Brian Westbrook was moving around well during the three-day camp. One of the noticeable things that the talented back accomplished was to show that he could go at full speed--albeit for a short time. Westbrook was also walking without the noticeable limp from last season. You could hardly go through the locker room last season and not see Westbrook moving around slowly. Westbrook, who had off-season knee surgery to remove a calcium deposit from his knee, looked smooth in the limited practice time he saw in this camp. The very fact that he was out there was a good sign that he could be back to relative normalcy.

MACLIN TAKING IT ALL IN:

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Have said Eagle fans realized that he's coming off ACL surgery that cost him all of last year yet?

Yes. Hence the reason he wasn't drafted first overall, and also the reason that he will be "a cinderella story outta nowhere" to take over Gonzalez as the best TE, by week 8.

You're just jealous b/c the skins don't have a "used-to-be-a-tackle" who is now a dedicated guard on the field goal team. Beat that!

Actually, he was removed the the field goal team after he gave up the blocked attempt in the second Giants regular season game.

Actually, he was removed the the field goal team after he gave up the blocked attempt in the second Giants regular season game.

Actually I did know/remember that fiasco. Seems patently unfair to penalize a guy for almost singlehandledly losing a "must win" game, on one of the 3 plays that he got in on, doesn't it?

Just by watching practice and looking at their roster, Philadelphia has at least eight offensive linemen who are capable of playing guard.

I don't quite get this statement...so he can tell how many players on the Eagles are "capable" of playing guard by looking at their roster?? lol...Are we supposed to be impressed by this?

And I notice he didn't say the Eagles had eight offensive linemen who are "capable of playing guard well" lol... :D

Besides the beating he took from Umenyoria, has he seen the field at all since then?

He played RT against the Bills in a meaningless end-of-year game in 2007. Had a false start but blended in otherwise, if I remember correctly. I vividly remember homers on the EMB saying "see, he's not so bad" and negative types saying "well, so much for him only sucking one night. He's done!" based on the same performance, so I imagine he was pretty neutral.

Then he had a pretty bad training camp last year (by most accounts). He started this year only on special teams squads but was yanked after allowing a blocked field goal against New York.

I think he might have played for a few series against someone else this year, maybe even in the playoffs, but I can't really remember.

I'd be shocked if he made the team.

Archived