Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TOT - Seven coaches, seven jobs in jeopardy

HapHaszard

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1241928357261190.xml&coll=5

With free agency and the draft behind us, minicamps -- or OTAs as they are now called -- in full swing and training-camp schedules being set, this is as good a time as any to take a look at the NFL head coaches who better win this season.

Here are seven:

Wade Phillips, Dallas -- When it comes to ranking head coaches based on what kind of person they are, this man might be at the top of the list. If he's not No. 1, he's darn close. He's also a pretty good defensive coordinator.

As a head coach this might be his last chance.

Phillips enters his third season as head coach of the Cowboys and, after a 13-3 first year that ended in disappointment with a playoff loss to the Giants and last year's collapse that ended in no postseason, the pressure is on for him to win, and win big.

In two years in Dallas, Phillips is 22-10. Not bad, and neither is his overall record as a head coach, 70-49. What sticks out is his 0-4 postseason mark.

Phillips has never won a playoff game. Dallas hasn't won a playoff game in what seems like forever, and with a new stadium and Jerry Jones running the show, both of those streaks better end this year.

Jim Zorn, Washington -- Most coaches going into their second year are not under any dire pressure to win.

Then again, most coaches don't work for Dan Snyder.

Since Snyder bought the Redskins in 1999, Zorn is his fifth head coach. In that same time frame, the Eagles have had Andy Reid, period.

click on the link for the rest of the article

I would say more than 7.

Cowboys- agree.

Redskins- agree.

Jaguars- agree.

Bills- agree.

Texans- agree.

Raiders- agree.

Vikings- agree.

I would add the following:

Packers- Mike McCarthy could be in trouble if the Packers miss the playoffs again, especially if Favre does join the Vikings and leads them to the playoffs and the Packers miss out.

Bears- Lovie Smith finally has a QB, if he can't make the playoffs this season and then he could be in trouble.

Saints- Sean Payton could feel the heat the Saints miss the playoffs again.

Panthers- If the Panthers miss the playoffs, especially after that playoff debacle, Hello Bill Cowher.

Bengals- Marvin Lewis ??? If they truely stink this year, he may finally get the ax.

Chargers- Turner ??? Is Norval really on the hot seat???

I was watching Montana vs Elway, Broncos vs Chiefs 1994 replay on NFLN. Wade was the coach of Denver at the time. Montana throws a game-winning TD pass with like 6 seconds left and the shot of Phillips on the sideline is just classic. Looking dumbfounded for 20 years now. Lol @ the Cowboys for thinking they can win with him.

Saints- Sean Payton could feel the heat the Saints miss the playoffs again.

I agree with this with the offense they have had they should have already make a splash in the postseason. I think there will be a lot of turnover at the head coaching position next off season because of the talent pool thats out there i hope we keep zorn though

I was watching Montana vs Elway, Broncos vs Chiefs 1994 replay on NFLN. Wade was the coach of Denver at the time. Montana throws a game-winning TD pass with like 6 seconds left and the shot of Phillips on the sideline is just classic. Looking dumbfounded for 20 years now. Lol @ the Cowboys for thinking they can win with him.

I noticed that exact same thing!

On a positive note, the guy has aged well. He doesn't look 15 years older than he did on that broadcast.

:hysterical:

Jim Zorn, Washington -- Most coaches going into their second year are not under any dire pressure to win.

Then again, most coaches don't work for Dan Snyder.

Since Snyder bought the Redskins in 1999, Zorn is his fifth head coach. In that same time frame, the Eagles have had Andy Reid, period.

click on the link for the rest of the article

Snyder will NOT fire Zorn after this season.

Period.

Dumb prediction based on some ridiculous tabloid opinion of Snyder :rolleyes:

Snyder will NOT fire Zorn after this season.

Period.

Dumb prediction based on some ridiculous tabloid opinion of Snyder :rolleyes:

Is it really that ridiculous? There was quite a bit of speculation last year, in his first year with the team, from people with intimate knowledge of the team.

I don't think Zorn should be on the hot seat, but can you definitively say that he is not in jeopardy? I'm not sure too many Skins fans would side with you on that one.

Is it really that ridiculous? There was quite a bit of speculation last year, in his first year with the team, from people with intimate knowledge of the team.

I don't think Zorn should be on the hot seat, but can you definitively say that he is not in jeopardy? I'm not sure too many Skins fans would side with you on that one.

It was definitely brought up on the radio both during game broadcasts and on shows like Czaban's. I don't think he should be in danger either; now that he has the job he deserves a fair shake. That being said, I would not have hired him myself. If I was an owner I would never trust that job to anyone who has not at least been an NFL coordinator for several years. But that's just me.

people can make hay with statistics based on how they are shaded :)

yes, Snyder has had 5 head coaches in 10 years - BUT in the last 5 years he has had only TWO.

most of the coaching carrousel occurred in 2000 and 2001 when Norv, Terry Robiskie and then Marty were in and out of the picture.

so, are we still going on the basis of what happened in 2000 and 2001 or what has happened SINCE 2004 when Gibbs returned?

Archived