Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meeting Redskins in Public...

HRNY4ZRNY

I have run into a lot of players while at work. I work at Best Buy right now...so...they come in quite frequently.

My first day last year I met Orakpo and talked to him for a couple of minutes. I sold Phillip Daniels a laptop. I told Keenan McCardell that we didn't have any iPads in stock :ols: I felt kinda bad. He was a really nice guy though. I've run into and briefly spoken with a bunch of other guys too. Suprisingly, all of them have been very nice. For some reason I was expecting them to be somewhat snobby.

Oh, and one day Vinny Cerrato came in the store and wanted a deal since he was buying two computers. What a db. I saw him and really did not want to help him out but my co-worker didnt know the answer to a question so I had to talk to him. Anyhow, he had to leave and gave us his cell phone number so we could call back and tell him if we could do a deal or not. Poor **** thought he was negotiating a contract or something. But yeah...I really though about putting his phone number on the board. Then I realized that would be a horrible thing to do. :ols:

I have run into a lot of players while at work. I work at Best Buy right now...so...they come in quite frequently.

My first day last year I met Orakpo and talked to him for a couple of minutes. I sold Phillip Daniels a laptop. I told Keenan McCardell that we didn't have any iPads in stock :ols: I felt kinda bad. He was a really nice guy though. I've run into and briefly spoken with a bunch of other guys too. Suprisingly, all of them have been very nice. For some reason I was expecting them to be somewhat snobby.

Oh, and one day Vinny Cerrato came in the store and wanted a deal since he was buying two computers. What a db. I saw him and really did not want to help him out but my co-worker didnt know the answer to a question so I had to talk to him. Anyhow, he had to leave and gave us his cell phone number so we could call back and tell him if we could do a deal or not. Poor **** thought he was negotiating a contract or something. But yeah...I really though about putting his phone number on the board. Then I realized that would be a horrible thing to do. :ols:

lol vinny blows

Besides the usual Fan Appreciation Day at FedEx... I actually met Tre Johnson (the old #77) maybe about 8/9 yrs ago. He was in the Circuit City that used to be across the street from the stadium. He was shopping & we actually got to talk to him for about 5 min. He seemed really cool & dwn-to-earth. Aftr we made our purchase.. he autographed our receipt

EDIT: Oh yeah i 4got, i've ran into LaVar Arrington on numerous occasions.

Another name i 4got to mention was Mike Sellars. Ran into him at Arundel Mills Mall. He took alot of pics with us & joked around with us for about 10min. This was about 3 yrs ago.

Also wntd to include my fav moment frm Fan Appreciation Day was gettin Joe Gibbs to autograph my football:)

Darrell Green came down to my brother's highschool football practice. One of the Skin's chaplains (who was a friend of Darrell's) had a son who was on the team, and brought Darrell down to give a pep talk and prayer.

He didn't act like a super star at all. He was really chill, stayed for the whole practice, hung out, and talked with coaches and parents. He's very down to earth.

Darrell Green came down to my brother's highschool football practice. One of the Skin's chaplains (who was a friend of Darrell's) had a son who was on the team, and brought Darrell down to give a pep talk and prayer.

He didn't act like a super star at all. He was really chill, stayed for the whole practice, hung out, and talked with coaches and parents. He's very down to earth.

First time I've ever heard that about Darrell Green.

Not terribly exciting, but I once served Neil Olkewicz a short stack of pancakes at a Bob's Big Boy in Aspen Hill. Didn't bug him, though... he just ate and left.

I see Dexter Manley ALL the time at the deli I eat at near my office. He's always hanging out in a hair salon across the street... maybe he's dating one of the hairdressers. :)

Really? He seemed like he enjoyed being there chillin with people.

Yep. Any story I have heard about him usually involves him not being kind or slyly disappearing from people. My Dad was at training camp once up in Carlisle or Frostburg, forget which one and he was hanging around a bunch of people waiting to get DG's autograph. DG said he wanted to use his own sharpie to sign stuff and said he would go get it and come right back. He got in his car and left. :ols::(

i served carlos rogers, santana moss, and marcus washington before all at the same restaurant.

marcus was the coolest by far and carlos was actually pretty good guy much to my surprise.

i've also met lavar arrington twice at a local bar. he is the freaking man i don't care what anyone says. he bought the entire bar a round of shots and beers. cool as hell.

i also met haynesworth, jeremy jarmon, and andre carter last year all at the same bar in lansdowne

I work for CNN, the Wednesday after Sean Taylor's death, I was sitting feeling low. Someone came into my room and said you need to go over to make-up to see someone. So I went over there. And getting ready to go one the air was Joe Theismann. He saw me come in, through the mirror and noticed my Sean Taylor Jersey on. I introduced myself to him and what I what my job is, He asked me if I was doing OK, we talked about it. Then I went on to tell him how much his play meant to me as a kid, and that he was one of my all time favorites. Then the subject went back to Sean. He couldn't say enough good things about him. He told me that he had gotten his son a Taylor Jersey for Christmas already, and that Sean was his son's favorite player. I felt better, then I just sat there in silence. Then I told him thanks and goodbye, he told me everything is going to be alright. Then I left. He was incredibly nice and was solid in strength mentally during such a tough time for all who love the Redskins.

Yep. Any story I have heard about him usually involves him not being kind or slyly disappearing from people. My Dad was at training camp once up in Carlisle or Frostburg, forget which one and he was hanging around a bunch of people waiting to get DG's autograph. DG said he wanted to use his own sharpie to sign stuff and said he would go get it and come right back. He got in his car and left. :ols::(

Yeah, DG does not do autographs well. To him, as it is for many players, current and former, it's a business venture. He gets paid to autograph things and in turn some business gets money for selling it. I can see that I guess, though I hate that signing simple autographs is big business.

Case in point, a friend and I had a really good two hour lunch with DG a few years ago (it was a gift from our wives they won at a silent auction). He was very candid and open, but refused to sign anything saying basically his people took care of that. No big deal really since I'm not a big autograph collector anyway. The time spent with DG was well worth it for us.

I've met several Redskins over the years, but my favorite is Pat Fischer whom I've met and chatted with on two occasions. The most recent time was at a golf tournament a couple years ago. As he stood outside the clubhouse with Phil Chenier and others enjoying a smoke (they weren't smoking, just Pat), I came up to him, shook his hand, and told him the last time I met him I said to him that Mel Gray did not catch that ball (the old timers here know the play I'm referring to). He got a big smile, laughed out loud, and said "now there you go, I was having a great time up until now!"

Anyway, we hung out and talked to Pat and Phil for a little while. Great guys and you could tell they really enjoyed reliving the old days with fans.

Hail,

H

Sat on the couch & had a chat & ****tail with Sonny in the owners club. On another occasion I was sitting at the bar & a guy came up & leaned against the bar beside me and started talking. Asked me if I was having a good time. When I raised my glass to take a swig I realised it was Joe T I was grunting at. He laughed out loud when I realised it was him & nearly had rum come out of my nose. Told him about my # 7 Hutch uniform I got for Christmas When I was a kid & he was very proud. There are so many players in there it's hard to keep track, but not the kind of place you run up to them & act like that guy.

I know people that have said the same thing about Green.

I couldn't disagree more.

Many moons ago, I worked for a financial institution, which shall remain nameless, in Tysons Corner. The guy that owned this company knew Daryl Green and invited me to lunch with them one day at Clydes. Daryl was as gracious and nice as could be. After we ate lunch, there were some kids that spotted him and he took the time to talk to them and sign autographs for everyone who wanted one.

You have to remember, these guys get pelted by people all the time. I am sure it's hard to have a life when in the public eye. I would imagine it becomes required to be a dick sometimes to maintain your personal life.

You have to remember, these guys get pelted by people all the time. I am sure it's hard to have a life when in the public eye. I would imagine it becomes required to be a dick sometimes to maintain your personal life.

I can absolutely understand that. In any of my encounters, I have never asked for an autograph or anything. I just chat with them like anyone else. It is just more interesting because they happen to play on my favorite football team! :D

You know, that's funny because when he was there he said he doesn't like giving out autographs. So he didn't sign any while he was there. But he took all the time in the world to hang out and talk to people one on one. He was in a rush to move on at all.

Archived