Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK..I admit it...

Tarhog

Its still officially the offseason.

Thats my out.

So I'm going to admit something. I GARDEN. I'm not kidding. I garden my @ss off. I plant flowers. Hell, I even grow a lot of them from seed in my bedroom, and not for recreational use either. I gather their seeds in the fall so I can grow more the next Spring. I have plowed up nearly all of my 1 1/2 acres and planted grapes, fruit trees of every kind, and a huge vegetable garden that will serve me faithfully when the government-induced Armageddon some predict hits. I take pride in hip high purple coneflowers. I 'can' and make homemade pickles and jelly. I sniff the foxglove, and I don't care who sees me. While you guys agonize over which Anna K. bootie shot shall reign supreme (PS - pm me on that one, I have the definitive answer), and whether or not its the Palestinians or the Israeli's that deserve support, I'll be fretting over squash vine borers, and whether I should stake the tomatoes again, or not. I don't have Hustler, Easy Rider, or Playboy in my loo, I have Burpees, RH Shumways, and Parks Seeds ready and waiting for my easy reading moments. I watch HGTV. I watch 'Gardening by the Yard'. I even watch...gasp....'Iron Chef'. God help me....I love it.

Alright. There. I've said it. Am I alone? Am I 'way too in touch with my soft feminine side'? Laugh if you will, but I wonder if there are other closet nature lovers out there? If not.

Well....I'll get over it...you manly ****s ;)

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

OK I admit it. I think women are crazy. Yes absolutley crazy. If you any of you old timers have any real good advice on girls please let me know because mabey that will work. After hearing an argument about "what a hook up means" with some girls tonight I officialy think they are crazy. A lot of you are married...... tell me how you survive it!

Originally posted by Tarhog

Its still officially the offseason.

Thats my out.

So I'm going to admit something. I GARDEN. I'm not kidding. I garden my @ss off. I plant flowers. Hell, I even grow a lot of them from seed in my bedroom, and not for recreational use either. I gather their seeds in the fall so I can grow more the next Spring. I have plowed up nearly all of my 1 1/2 acres and planted grapes, fruit trees of every kind, and a huge vegetable garden that will serve me faithfully when the government-induced Armageddon some predict hits. I take pride in hip high purple coneflowers. I 'can' and make homemade pickles and jelly. I sniff the foxglove, and I don't care who sees me. While you guys agonize over which Anna K. bootie shot shall reign supreme (PS - pm me on that one, I have the definitive answer), and whether or not its the Palestinians or the Israeli's that deserve support, I'll be fretting over squash vine borers, and whether I should stake the tomatoes again, or not. I don't have Hustler, Easy Rider, or Playboy in my loo, I have Burpees, RH Shumways, and Parks Seeds ready and waiting for my easy reading moments. I watch HGTV. I watch 'Gardening by the Yard'. I even watch...gasp....'Iron Chef'. God help me....I love it.

Alright. There. I've said it. Am I alone? Am I 'way too in touch with my soft feminine side'? Laugh if you will, but I wonder if there are other closet nature lovers out there? If not.

Well....I'll get over it...you manly ****s ;)

You know it was coming...

What? Garden? An exmarine? Semper Fi my a**! Oh. And a couple of you at that Yeeeeeeeeeeesh! :silly:;) No prob Tarhog. We all need a little stress management. Aside from drinking of course. :pint: Especially if one is spending time in Tailgate. Several of the hardass, old school fellow construction workers I work with do the same thing. Hey, gets you outside. Personaly? I don't do that garden thing. Too ga----- just kidding. :D No place to garden actually. That and I'm not sure I have the patience. Though yes, ( looks around.....hangs head), I have watched the Iron Chef and Emeril. sigh. Watch This Old House.....and since I am an aspiring artist, sigh, I watch........ Bob Ross painting show. I don't paint, but, well, ahem.

Oh and SHF, disregarding that old timers statement, ahem, I'll say this. Figure out? Women? A man? :laugh: As for surviving, well, just remember this. And it will help once you figure it out. Crazy is a two way street. Works both ways.

:cheers:

Originally posted by SkinsHokie Fan

OK I admit it. I think women are crazy. Yes absolutley crazy. If you any of you old timers have any real good advice on girls please let me know because mabey that will work. After hearing an argument about "what a hook up means" with some girls tonight I officialy think they are crazy. A lot of you are married...... tell me how you survive it!

Excuse me?

Crazy? Crazy?

Crazy!

Blondie

Being a man isn't about riding bikes, shooting guns, or drinking, (although all of them are fun) it's about doing what you do, and standing up for what you beleive in, and not giving in to pressure. If you were scared away from gardening because of what others may think, then that would be one thing, but you didn't. If you want to be a gardener, then go right ahead and put your mind at ease. You can ignor all those insecure individuals who try to put you done, to make them selfs feel better about their own insecurities.

Mywife does the flower thing. We have planted several cherry trees.

I do enjoy my veggie garden. It's a joint project between my

neighbor and I. We specialize in peppers. He do the Habaneros,

Cayenne, Jalepenos, Banana, and Bell peppers. We grow own

cilantro and tomates. We make some killer salsa.

You guys are killing me :laugh: Hey fan...doesn't count if there's no one else in the room at the time (you'll go blind my friend! and no, you can't do it until you just need glasses).

Thanks for the laughs guys, and the moral support panel. Truth be known, I'm pretty secure. Keeps me out of Hooters and trouble (mostly).

Ignore all these buffoons Tarhog. :)

Without gardening and farming they'd be out gnawing on tree bark...... :)

You are not alone. I was extremely lazy the last quarter, sr. year at tech, (taking the bare minimum necessary so as to have more time for leisurely pursuits) or I'd actually have a minor in horticulture. And there were some very attractive girls majoring in horticulture back then. I remember one named Eileen... :D ( The horticulture class back in high school was predominantly female as well .....)

What's really disgusting is I have very limited gardening space; I've converted half the front yard. And expanded the beds in back.

Parks seeds; I also look at Thompson and Morgan seeds catalogs. I've ordered live plants and bulbs from several other nurseries across the country. I see MUCH more variety through the catalogs than I can find in the common everyday nurseries (which carry the same stupid things all the time. (petunias, pansies, common marigolds, impatiens, yada yada yada...) That's how I got the huechera varieties I have which everyone love, as well as other plants I've never seen before.

My family always had gardens going back to my grandfather. He had grape vines all the way around his tiny yard in the Bronx, with a section for tomatos and peppers on one side. He made killer dago red. I got into it when we moved to the burbs when we had about an 8th acre vegi garden every year. Had a small garden of tomatos and peppers when I bought the house in CT, but haven't had one since I moved to FL. Too friggin hot, which is great for the peppers but doesn't work for me.

You would love the long season down here Tarhog, and I must be twice as gay bro, I love to sew.

:cheers:

"There's only 2 things that money cant buy, and that's Ture Love and Home grown tomatos"

Guilty as charged. Maters, cucumbers, squash, and every spice imagineable. Ive got a persian lime tree that should bear fruit next year and a juice orange tree that's probably 3 or 4 seasons from having good fruit. I also grow a bunch of different types of peppers and even had a pineapple last year (big pain in the ass).

My wife handles the flowers, but I do the grunt work.

All right, twist my arm, I garden too!

I'm the primary pruner of roses in my household, and I've been more fanatical about planting flowers along our front walk, and doing landscaping work. After working in an office all week, it's nice to get out in the sun and sweat a little, and get your hands dirty.

A couple of weeks ago, I pruned back an enormous bougainvilla bush in my back yard, then I bought several 4'x8' lattices, and affixed them to the block wall in the back yard and pinned the now tamed bush up. Very proud of that one, expecially given how much of my skin that *&%*$ bush's thorns took off me while I was pruning it! :cuss:

It's funny because this is my first house (since November 2002) and I was just talking to a buddy of mine who just bought his first house. We now absolutely love doing all of the things that we hated doing in the yard when our parents asked us to while growing up. :laugh: It's different when it's yours. :)

Originally posted by Tarhog

Am I alone? Am I 'way too in touch with my soft feminine side'?

I tried getting in touch with my feminine side, but she turned out to be a lesbian...

Being the manly sort that I am, I can honestly say that when I tried to take up landscaping/gardening, everything I planted died. :king: :king:

In my off time, I pursue the most manly of pursuits - Woodworking! It's the American way. I build Guitars. I go deep into debt buying tools and figured hardwoods. I inlay dazzling abalone into fretboards. I spray toxic lacquers into the environment. I am Man - Hear me Growl. Listen to the sound of my router grinding out cavities in fine Honduran Mahogany.

:pope: :pope:

Redman, I know exactly what you mean. everytime my parents come over they ask why I never put that much effort in around their house.

I don't have much land (duplex), but I've put in a few small gardens. My current project is build a free standing stone wall (no mortar) across the back of my property along the tree line. I'm excited, I've gone about 20 ft and I only have a few more feet to go. The neighborhood I'm in has a ton of field rock, and the cemetary behind me just dumps theirs in the woods, so the rock is free. That doesn't make it any lighter to drag to my back yard.

My goal when I finish the wall is to put a thin garden in front of the wall with miniature rose vines to climb the wall. I'll probably also carve out a semi circle garden in the middle. I just haven't figured out yet whether I'll put in a fountain or a birdbath. it depends how lazy I get at that point. Regardless, I'll be planting flowers around it (probably annuals but depending on when everything else is one, that may be next year).

Your a brave man Redman. Friggin bougainvilla grow like weeds. I have to tend to the one my parents have, and put on leather welding sleves and gloves to do my triming. Calling them things thorns is an understatment.

Archived