Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mission Impossible? The Code Even the CIA Can't Crack

DButz65

I love this kind of stuff, nice read

The most celebrated inscription at the Central Intelligence Agency's headquarters in Langley, Virginia, used to be the biblical phrase chiseled into marble in the main lobby: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." But in recent years, another text has been the subject of intense scrutiny inside the Company and out: 865 characters of seeming gibberish, punched out of half-inch-thick copper in a courtyard

ff_kryptos_f.jpg

Rest of Story

Remembering a story I'd read about in a Jacques Cousteau book.

Seems that he'd once met Picasso. At the time, Picaso was the media darling as the Greatest Artist Ever. And one of the "things" about Picaso was the firm belief that if Common People "got it", if they figured out what "the message" was, then it wasn't Art. That to be Art, it must be incomprehensible.

Picasso supposedly related to Cousteau that there had recently been an auction of his sketches. Often, things being auctioned were things from his wastebasket, but they were still fetching huge prices anyway, to the amusement of the artist.

According to the story, one such sketch showed a man, nude (at least so far), upsede down. He appeared to be suspended from one outstretched leg (the other leg was bent), reaching downward with one arm, his hair spread out around his head, perhaps suggesting violent motion.

And people had written interpretations of the hidden symbolism of this piece. How it clearly symbolized Man dangling over some kind of Abyss. Or perhaps the man was being tortured for some purpose.

And, according to the story, Picasso had confided to Cousteau that "actually, I was thinking about drawing a SCUBA diver".

Digital Fortress (Dan Brown) is a great book if you enjoy this type of thing!

It was my favorate of the Brown books actually, and Tom Hanks cant ruin the main charactor of this one!!

Archived