Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ORAKPO vs WILSON

PROSCOUT

Just listened to Chris WIlson talking about his weekend working at SAM linebacker. Lots of reporters questions directed at him and they talked a bit about Orakpo.

Seems like Chris has a great outlook because he spoke about it being tough on a rookie to come in and play 2 positions back and forth so the Skins will need depth. So whether Orakpo is the linebacker on 1st down or Wilson is the linebacker on 3rd down, may not matter that much.

I see both of these guys as being very similar in thier pass rushing ability, and tackling ability, but needing to work on their coverage skills. I would say at this point that basically Wilson/Orakpo are the two guys sharing the starting linebacker spot on the right side, and that is a GOOD thing because we have 2 very similar players physically so we don't lose anything when one takes a break or gets injured...and both will continue to improve going against Cooley and Fred Davis in camp.

ANY THOUGHTS?

The linebackers aside -- Coach Blache has got to be loving the kind of options he's going to have this year. A good amount of talent on the defensive side of the ball this season for sure -- lots of youth and speed.

More than anything I'm loving the competition/battles for positions on defense.

I think Orakpo will eventually be higher on the depth chart as a LB and DE when compared to Wilson but having the ability to rotate these guys will make this defense much more dominant.

I don't like a rookie playing dual roles like that... I don't like any hybrid DE/LBs in a 4-3 personally... I was for orakpo but did hear enough "he's an OLB in a 3-4" talk from the experts to have me concerned... there's enough tape of him getting eaten up on some running plays, I guess, that a lot of the experts questioned his transition to a true hand in the dirt DE.. and I guess since we are moving him around, we are too...

I know blache said JT didn't fit our scheme (when there was talk of trading for him in the pre-season last year) and I'd love to hear what he thought of orakpo before we drafted him... will be interesting to see how we use him..

I am started to hate Orakpo pick if he play OLB. I am thinking because rocky miss Minicamp that the reason Orakpo getting rep at OLB. Orakpo is best rushing the passer

Orakpo will be rushing the passer. They're saying they MIGHT play him at strong-side linebacker on 1st downs and what not. You can bet than when 3rd and long comes around, he's gonna be on the line.

I see both of these guys as being very similar in thier pass rushing ability, and tackling ability, but needing to work on their coverage skills. I would say at this point that basically Wilson/Orakpo are the two guys sharing the starting linebacker spot on the right side, and that is a GOOD thing because we have 2 very similar players physically so we don't lose anything when one takes a break or gets injured...and both will continue to improve going against Cooley and Fred Davis in camp.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Given we picked Orakpo with the 13th overall pick in the 1st round this year and what he cost us to draft him I seriously hope Orakpo is a better pass rusher than Wilson.

I don't like a rookie playing dual roles like that... I don't like any hybrid DE/LBs in a 4-3 personally... I was for orakpo but did hear enough "he's an OLB in a 3-4" talk from the experts to have me concerned... there's enough tape of him getting eaten up on some running plays, I guess, that a lot of the experts questioned his transition to a true hand in the dirt DE.. and I guess since we are moving him around, we are too...

I know blache said JT didn't fit our scheme (when there was talk of trading for him in the pre-season last year) and I'd love to hear what he thought of orakpo before we drafted him... will be interesting to see how we use him..

Demarcus Ware and Sean Merriman ring any bells? I'd assume you would be happy if either was a Redskin.

While I don't see us switching to a 3-4 base I think Orakpo gives us the flexibility to switch up looks and keep the offense guessing as to who is rushing who is playing coverage and makes our blitz much less predictable.

Dont expect a pro bowl type year from Orakpo. Id love for it to happen but history is against us on this one. Not too many pass rushers have came in their rookie year and dominated. It can happen. Most often it doestn. Playing two different positions doesnt help either.

Demarcus Ware and Sean Merriman ring any bells? I'd assume you would be happy if either was a Redskin.

While I don't see us switching to a 3-4 base I think Orakpo gives us the flexibility to switch up looks and keep the offense guessing as to who is rushing who is playing coverage and makes our blitz much less predictable.

yeah, they are outside rushers in a 3-4 scheme... show me guys in their mold who have made the transition to a 4-3 and been as effective and I'll be more optimistic... facts are 4-3 teams stay away from them in free agency and drafts because schemes are schemes for a reason are we are not going to be switching up to a 3-4... and I disagree about orakpo making us less predictable... blitzing the SLB is nothing new, we tried it with marcus all the time, the difference won't be that it's unpredictable but that orakpo might actually be able to get to the QB which marcus could not do late in his career... but can orakpo cover like marcus could when he was healthy? we can't hide players on the field in certain situation, especially rookies.. guess we'll see..

yeah, they are outside rushers in a 3-4 scheme... show me guys in their mold who have made the transition to a 4-3 and been as effective and I'll be more optimistic... facts are 4-3 teams stay away from them in free agency and drafts because schemes are schemes for a reason are we are not going to be switching up to a 3-4... and I disagree about orakpo making us less predictable... blitzing the SLB is nothing new, we tried it with marcus all the time, the difference won't be that it's unpredictable but that orakpo might actually be able to get to the QB which marcus could not do late in his career... but can orakpo cover like marcus could when he was healthy? we can't hide players on the field in certain situation, especially rookies.. guess we'll see..

That fact that he switches from OLB to DE does make us less predictable. Is he blitzing as a LB or is he in zone/man coverage? When he has his hand in the dirt is he coming or is he dropping back? Is the LB behind him coming as well?

Obviously there are limits to how "unpredictable" you can really be but it certainly does add options.

The biggest problem as I see it is that they are both very similar types of players. They predominately rush the passer and both are weak in coverage. This will make it easier to adjust the defensive scheme for personnel, but it will also make it easier to adjust the offensive gameplan based on their percieved weaknesses.

I'm against the move to LB for Orakpo. Play him at DE. He needs to become acclimated to the position at this level and he'll need the reps so to speak. Wilson should be up to the task. Neither guy will be stellar in any zone/coverage package, so IMO it seems like a futile effort.

I haven't done my homework on Orakpo but from what i have heard, he should be destined for great things as a "Defensive End." All the other talk about Wilson, Wynn and Daniels will soon decease. I project Orakpo to start right DE by the beginning of the season.

Hail

I'm really not feeling the idea/prospect of Rak doing double duty and thrown into this tweener sometimes a LB somtimes a DE crap. I loved the draft pick at first...oh well will have to wait and see. maybe he can be effective in that kind of roll. I was really hoping he would be an every down DE.

More than anything I'm loving the competition/battles for positions on defense.

I think Orakpo will eventually be higher on the depth chart as a LB and DE when compared to Wilson but having the ability to rotate these guys will make this defense much more dominant.

That's right. Being able to keep guys fresh is going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses. We've got quality depth at DT, DE, arguably LB, Safety and Corner.... the whole defense!

I'm really not feeling the idea/prospect of Rak doing double duty and thrown into this tweener sometimes a LB somtimes a DE crap. I loved the draft pick at first...oh well will have to wait and see. maybe he can be effective in that kind of roll. I was really hoping he would be an every down DE.

Every down DE...... Don't think so.... Not with veterans like Wynn and Daniels on the squad.... Keep RAK fresh....

Either way, we as fans have to be optimistic and just think postive. We all forgot who our defense cordinator is??? Blache took this old defense last year that cannot catch any balls thrown right at them and we were the 4th best defense in the league. Blache is probably just seeing if he will be a better LB then a DE. I would love to just see Orakpo and Wilson on the field at the same time. Our D-line is so old and I just guess that Blache is trying to make them both more versatile and make our defense better

I would say at this point that basically Wilson/Orakpo are the two guys sharing the starting linebacker spot on the right side,

ANY THOUGHTS?

Just a clarification...

They are competing for the SAM Linebacker position, which lines up on the strength of the offensive formation. The linebackers are not assigned Right/Left.

I think Orakpo's pass rushing ability is far superior to Wilson's.

He also would probably play linebacker better, so you have to pick between the 2. If I had to use both, (on passing downs) I'd pick Wilson at DE and Orakpo at LB, but that would only be temporary

Archived