Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ORAKPO vs WILSON

PROSCOUT

Thanks to whoever posted the link about running a 4-3 "under". That scheme would seem to be a good use of Orakpo. Hopefully what we will see this year is a mixture of looks.

No problem! I think that D would not only be perfect for Orakpo but for the personnel on our entire defense...

I say bring Washington back rather then experiment w/Orakpo and Wilson. I dont think he has to learn the DE position (Rak) and if he plays there, it would be on passing downs/formations in which it will be a take the leash off and sick em boy role.

Comparing Orakpo and Wilson is like comparing Landry and Doughty. Orakpo is a much better athlete, larger, faster, more explosive, much stronger. The only advantage that Wilson has is experience. Orakpo is bigger than both of the Giant's starting DE's, so I don't think he is too small. He will probably wind up transitioning permanently to DE by his second year, but will spend time this year at both spots.

Clayton was on 980 sports and said that he will rush from DE on 3rd down, and on 1st and 2nd down's will blitz frequently. Based on last years percentages, he said that Orakpo should be rushing the passer about 78% of the time. I'm not sure how that number was calculated, but if true, it sounds fine to me.

That means Orakpo will be performing the short shuttle for 3 hours on Sunday afternoons. He wouldn't last 30 minutes like that.

I am glad we have Chris Wilson to share that duty. But I have to say Clayton is an idiot. Nobody can blitz and run 78 percent of the time. A team can do it, but one player cannot do it. He will get worn out and the offense will take advantage of it. And why not 75%? Where did he get the other 3%? WTF.

How does anyone know how these 2 are going to cover and rush the passer? They haven't even scrimmaged in pads or played a preseason game yet for us to know who can rush or play in space! Both of these guys are experimenting in new roles they are gifted athletes give it a couple of months we'll see then who balls or falls.

More than anything I'm loving the competition/battles for positions on defense.

I think Orakpo will eventually be higher on the depth chart as a LB and DE when compared to Wilson but having the ability to rotate these guys will make this defense much more dominant.

i know, the rotation will def help in keeping em fresh.

I remember one of our better LBs in recent memory made a living playing LB on first and second downs and then putting his hand in the dirt on third down.

Remember Ken Harvey?

I loved Ken Harvey..

People also forget that Wilbur Marshal rushed on third downs from outside linebacker positions even though he was our Mike backers. He led our team in sacks a few years.

But overall the LB who caused the most havoc for many Redskins QBs in the 80's was a hybrid LB/DE. Lawrence Taylor!! So see its always a valuable asset to defenses whether its a 3-4, 4-3, 4-4, etc

I loved Ken Harvey..

People also forget that Wilbur Marshal rushed on third downs from outside linebacker positions even though he was our Mike backers. He led our team in sacks a few years.

But overall the LB who caused the most havoc for many Redskins QBs in the 80's was a hybrid LB/DE. Lawrence Taylor!! So see its always a valuable asset to defenses whether its a 3-4, 4-3, 4-4, etc

Wilbur was an OLB not a Mike. Neal Olkewicz was a 2 down Mike backer in that era.

Archived