Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Productive offseason for McIntosh

Rocky52Mc

As some of you may know, I'm a big Rocky McIntosh fan :logo:. I found this article a little late from the Washington Times and found it very interesting. Wanted to know some thoughts from fellow fans about this. With Rocky being 2nd in tackles on defense, I think he's ready for a comfortable steady 2009/2010 season. I was surprised to not even find this posted, so here it goes. Hail.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/12/productive-offseason-for-mcintosh/

By David Elfin| Sunday, April 12, 2009

"During his first two years as a starting linebacker for the Washington Redskins, Rocky McIntosh was as quiet as can be.

Middle linebacker London Fletcher served as the defense's unquestioned leader. Marcus Washington always chatted and danced on the strong side. McIntosh, on the weak side, was all business, on and off the field.

But McIntosh has shed some of that shyness this offseason. Fletcher hasn't attend conditioning workouts at Redskin Park, Washington was released in February because of injuries and a high price tag, and veteran backup Khary Campbell remains unsigned.

McIntosh, heading into his fourth season, suddenly is the senior linebacker at Redskin Park.

"I never played that role in the past, but I'm vocal when I have to be," he said. "I've got the most playing time here, so I can definitely be a help to guys."

McIntosh said he hasn't heard from Fletcher or Washington since the season ended, but he sees Campbell since they're Northern Virginia neighbors.

"Those are my guys," McIntosh said. "I learned from them. They set the tempo, Khary with special teams and Marcus on defense. ... It would be great to have them back and try to build on what we did last year."

The Redskins ranked fourth on defense in 2008; McIntosh, who suffered a major knee injury in December 2007, played all 16 games, starting 15. He ranked second on the team with 88 tackles.

Campbell called McIntosh one of the Redskins' "do-it-all guys."

Said McIntosh: "I'm an OK guy, an average guy, but I'm not great. As a defense, we weren't great. We were No. 4, but why not be No. 1? I didn't make it to the Pro Bowl, and we didn't make it to the playoffs. That's what's you're striving for."

McIntosh has loftier goals for 2009.

"Last year, I was rehabbing to get back, and I went straight into training camp [without a break]," McIntosh said. "This time around has been a lot less stressful. This year, I want to be a very explosive guy. I want to blow guys up every play. In college, that's the way I was, a little bit more relaxed out there, creating a bigger impact."

McIntosh is doing that at Redskin Park. After nearly three years of staying "behind the curtains," McIntosh had become more involved in community service and in players association matters. He also commandeered an empty work space in the public relations department, acting as a quasi-intern to learn what happens behind the scenes.

"Rocky's overcome adversity," Campbell said. "When you're able to do that, [you] tend to be more confident and have fun."

But McIntosh, who was involved for two years in a South Carolina commercial real estate company, didn't attend a recent three-day seminar for NFL players at Penn's Wharton School of Business just for fun.

"Football isn't going to last forever," said McIntosh, who has degrees in English and criminology and will consider graduate school or law school when his football career ends. "I want to make sure that I keep my mind rich. ...

"You've got a little window when you're not working on football during the offseason, and I take advantage of that. Don't just go home and sit on your butt. Be productive somehow.""

Campbell called McIntosh one of the Redskins' "do-it-all guys."

Said McIntosh: "I'm an OK guy, an average guy, but I'm not great. As a defense, we weren't great. We were No. 4, but why not be No. 1? I didn't make it to the Pro Bowl, and we didn't make it to the playoffs. That's what's you're striving for."

McIntosh has loftier goals for 2009.

"Last year, I was rehabbing to get back, and I went straight into training camp [without a break]," McIntosh said. "This time around has been a lot less stressful. This year, I want to be a very explosive guy. I want to blow guys up every play. In college, that's the way I was, a little bit more relaxed out there, creating a bigger impact."

That is what I wanna hear!

:D

Good writeup on someone who a lot of people are forgetting about, rightfully so, because he hasn't made an "impact" yet. I'm glad he sees that and is reflecting on it and using it to improve.

Yea, McIntosh is a hard working guy. I'm looking for more big hits out of the fan to tell ya the truth. When he says blow someone up, I want him to put those fricken muscles to use. The faces on our defense are just fricken scary. When you add Orakpo's ugly face to the mix, DAMN.

Is it me or does Orakpo look like a mixture of McIntosh and Chris Samuels combined?

Nice to read something other than more Campbell twaddle lol :applause:...I really hope Rocky can make it back to that fierce LB we had in the beginning of 2007. :cheers:

I saw him at draft day, the dude like's the stud he is more then ever. Of course, I didn't see him run, but still lol.

Rocky is a humble, hard working guy. To be second in tackles after recovering from a major knee surgery just shows you how hard this man works. Keep up the good work Rocky!

Gotta give credit to the coaching and FO for putting together this unit. They've done their part and it's now up to the players to put on a show. This defense just needs to stay healthy and play with swagger and confidence and 2009 should be a good year for the defense.

I thought to start the season last year Rocky was playing great football. He was all over the field. I am not sure if it was his knees or that he was missing assignments towards the end of the season because he was taken off the field. I really hope his knee holds up and he has a pro-bowl this year. The guy is a beast.

Also not sure why they say he is a shy guy because watching him on the field he seems to talk **** to the opposing team players constantly. Not that I have any issue with it but on game day I would not cold Rocky shy.

I'm looking forward to the D this year. We were great last year but with Rocky getting healthy, Haynesworth and now Orakpo we should be no 1. I can't wait to see these guys against Dallas now.
Not to mention Rogers going through this off-season completely healthy after his own knee injury.

And another year for Horton/Moore to learn the ropes at safety.

This could be one of the nastiest defenses we've fielded in a long time.

Archived