Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is the O-line help coming from?

The Waterboy

Let's just say they had a 2nd round pick, who's to say they would've definitely gone OL. It depends on what their draft board said.:doh:

I said that they'd go offensive line? Must've missed that.

I'm pretty sure that I said that it hadn't been argued that the Redskins had no one but themselves to blame for only having a few picks, none of those being in the second round. I never, ever said that it would've gone towards the offensive line.

Try reading before criticizing, mmkay? :doh:

I said that they'd go offensive line? Must've missed that.

I'm pretty sure that I said that it hadn't been argued that the Redskins had no one but themselves to blame for only having a few picks, none of those being in the second round. I never, ever said that it would've gone towards the offensive line.

Try reading before criticizing, mmkay? :doh:

I don't know if Vinny would've agreed with you though.

and that's why you're crazy

there were no starting calibre OT's left in the 3rd. ,duke robinson doesn't count either. he's a terrible pass blocker at OG,he'd do worse at OT.When vinny says that the OL depth was weak in this draft he isn't lying. every once in a while an OL would come off the board but it would be a no name guy,or a guy who would need grooming to start in the NFL. rarely do 3rd round rookies and later OL start in the NFL,and ever more rarely do they do well. I can only think of one late round rookie doing well in the past 5 years and that's jahri evans of the saints.

I'd much rather take a good value prospect like keven barnes who looks to be a very good player at a position of need. than reach for an OL just for the sake of getting an OL. we're in process of grooming some young players right now like stephon heyer/devin clark/batiste .

You're right. No offensive lineman drafted in the 3rd round or lower has ever started the next year. What was I thinking. :doh:

And they definitely couldn't have just been capable backups, better than our current ones either. Did you forget we have the oldest line in the league and within 2-3 years most/all of our starters will not be there anymore?

Catching the sarcasm?

I also am tired of the argument that it makes sense to take LBs, WRs, etc. in late rounds as "projects" because one out of however many will make a capable player. Why isn't the same true of lineman? We've drafted ONE lineman in 16 picks in two years, even though that's our weakest unit. We can't only take first/second round lineman and expect them to be starters, we have to actually SCOUT late round lineman as well. There were plenty of guys who could have been AT LEAST 2nd stringers.

Now that we're set on D (excluding some additions that are not urgent...MLB, OLB)...how differently would people feel if we spend the next couple off-seasons bolstering the OL so that we backfill guard, center, and tackle positions?

Is it possible that our FO is gambling a bit and hoping the aging, yet relatively talented players along our OL can make it through one more season before the calvary comes? In fact, we have SOME depth (Heyer, Rinehart, etc.) in emergency situations.

Now that we're set on D (excluding some additions that are not urgent...MLB, OLB)...how differently would people feel if we spend the next couple off-seasons bolstering the OL so that we backfill guard, center, and tackle positions?

I'd feel great. I hope that's what happens.

Is it possible that our FO is gambling a bit and hoping the aging, yet relatively talented players along our OL can make it through one more season before the calvary comes? In fact, we have SOME depth (Heyer, Rinehart, etc.) in emergency situations.

Yes, this seems to be the strategy. I'm not exactly sure it will work, but I'm hopeful.

and that's why you're crazy

there were no starting calibre OT's left in the 3rd. ,duke robinson doesn't count either. he's a terrible pass blocker at OG,he'd do worse at OT.When vinny says that the OL depth was weak in this draft he isn't lying. every once in a while an OL would come off the board but it would be a no name guy,or a guy who would need grooming to start in the NFL. rarely do 3rd round rookies and later OL start in the NFL,and ever more rarely do they do well. I can only think of one late round rookie doing well in the past 5 years and that's jahri evans of the saints.

I'd much rather take a good value prospect like keven barnes who looks to be a very good player at a position of need. than reach for an OL just for the sake of getting an OL. we're in process of grooming some young players right now like stephon heyer/devin clark/batiste .

You draft o-linemen in late rounds with the intention to develop them so they can contribute either by starting or being a back up in a couple of years. There were plenty of guys we could have bought in for that purpose alone. When someone says "possible starter", it means "possible" not garaunteed starter. Plenty of late round linemen have come in and started for other teams by outplaying the guy ahead of them or just having to step in due to injuries. Look at the Giants starting linemen most of them were late round selections. In fact there are more success stories of late round o-linemen than any other position. Its very stupid to neglect the offensive and defensive lines in each draft because they make it easy or difficult for the people playing behind them. And if you try to address those positions via free agency, you will always pay a premium price for their services. (Haynesworth, Dockery w/Bills) So the FO should always be in search for the "next guy" in the draft, especially if all of your linemen are members of the 30 and over club. This of course doesnt happen with the Skins and the consequence is we stay mediocre every year. Hopefully the 2 new d-linemen we added make it easier for the overall team this upcoming season but if they don't, look for another 8-8 year, because when our o-linemen start hurting and injuries pile up, who will be there to step in.... Oh yeah, we'll play a backup center at left tackle again... That'll give Jason plenty of time to throw, and it'll give Clinton plenty of room to run!!!! Can't wait!!

78 Batiste, D'Anthony OL 604 313 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 03-29-1982

62 Clark, Devin OL 6-4 312 1 New Mexico 05-22-1986

74 Heyer, Stephon OL 6-6 325 2 Maryland 01-16-1984

63 Montgomery, Will OL 6-3 312 3 Virginia Tech 02-13-1983

71 Riley, Rueben OL 6-4 305 2 Michigan 09-20-1984

75 Rinehart, Chad OL 6-5 311 1 Northern Iowa 05-04-1985

72 Ross, Isaiah OL 6-3 320 1 Nevada 11-06-1981

71 Williams, Mike OL 6-6 360 5 Texas 01-11-1980

68 Burley, Scott OT 6-5 335 R Maryland 01-02-1986

76 Jansen, Jon OT 6-6 297 10 Michigan 01-28-1976

60 Samuels, Chris OT 6-5 317 9 Alabama 07-28-1977

50 Williams, Edwin C 6-3 315 R Maryland 12-10-1986

I believe the FO feels no one in the draft was better than these guys we have already!

I guess it's possible but doesn't it seem like each offseason, a new set of priorities comes up? Last offseason, the priority was a big WR (two of them, evidently). This season, with the departure of Marcus Washington and Jason Taylor, they emphasized DE and OLB. Who's to say next year, they won't decide that it's time to replace Clinton Portis or London Fletcher or Carlos Rogers or Jason Campbell or... you get my point.

I hate to belabor this, but I come back to this article about their offseason evaluation meetings. It seemed clear that everyone felt the offensive line needed improvement.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-la-canfora/skins-first-set-of-personnel-m.html

Especially telling are these two paragraphs:

Cerrato was looking for reasons for the team's 2-6 finish, which some coaches at first thought was a joke given personnel issues and the continuing age and injury problems of the line. Rarely could the entire line practice together save for some lighter Friday sessions and the players' technique and chemistry suffered. Veteran football coaches know the importance of having a line on the practice field as a unit. With most of this bunch coming off surgery again, that issue is unlikely to go away if they keep the group together.

Third-round pick Chad Rinehart is not seen as a capable player at this point, according to numerous sources involved in the meeting, and is not projected as being anywhere close to able to replace Pete Kendall or Randy Thomas at guard. Many coaches, including Bugel, worry about his confidence and ability, sources said. He is not being counted on to produce much in 2009, and if he did it would be a surprising development. Similarly, Stephon Heyer is not viewed as a starter; he's okay for depth purposes but with Jon Jansen no longer deemed a starter, either, they need to do something at right tackle (I still expect them to draft a tackle with their first pick).

That was in January. Can their fortunes on the offensive line really have changed so much since January that they can completely ignore the offensive line in the draft? I really doubt that adding Derrick Dockery and Mike Williams significantly changes the above assessment. I just think the organization is confused and there's a disconnect between what the coaching staff thinks they need and what the FO decides to do in the offseason. That just doesn't bode well for the team...

There is zero excuse for not taking Duke Robinson in the fifth. Even Cody Glenn said he was surprised he got picked in the 5th, and not the 6th or 7th round. Some scouts even projected Duke as a potential tackle, he'd be a perfect swing guy for us, not saying we could pencil him at tackle, but who exactly wants our #1 backup plan to be Chad Rinehart should Thomas go down?

I guess it's possible but doesn't it seem like each offseason, a new set of priorities comes up? Last offseason, the priority was a big WR (two of them, evidently). This season, with the departure of Marcus Washington and Jason Taylor, they emphasized DE and OLB. Who's to say next year, they won't decide that it's time to replace Clinton Portis or London Fletcher or Carlos Rogers or Jason Campbell or... you get my point.

I hate to belabor this, but I come back to this article about their offseason evaluation meetings. It seemed clear that everyone felt the offensive line needed improvement.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-la-canfora/skins-first-set-of-personnel-m.html

Especially telling are these two paragraphs:

Cerrato was looking for reasons for the team's 2-6 finish, which some coaches at first thought was a joke given personnel issues and the continuing age and injury problems of the line. Rarely could the entire line practice together save for some lighter Friday sessions and the players' technique and chemistry suffered. Veteran football coaches know the importance of having a line on the practice field as a unit. With most of this bunch coming off surgery again, that issue is unlikely to go away if they keep the group together.

Third-round pick Chad Rinehart is not seen as a capable player at this point, according to numerous sources involved in the meeting, and is not projected as being anywhere close to able to replace Pete Kendall or Randy Thomas at guard. Many coaches, including Bugel, worry about his confidence and ability, sources said. He is not being counted on to produce much in 2009, and if he did it would be a surprising development. Similarly, Stephon Heyer is not viewed as a starter; he's okay for depth purposes but with Jon Jansen no longer deemed a starter, either, they need to do something at right tackle (I still expect them to draft a tackle with their first pick).

That was in January. Can their fortunes on the offensive line really have changed so much since January that they can completely ignore the offensive line in the draft? I really doubt that adding Derrick Dockery and Mike Williams significantly changes the above assessment. I just think the organization is confused and there's a disconnect between what the coaching staff thinks they need and what the FO decides to do in the offseason. That just doesn't bode well for the team...

They only mentioned Rinehart as not being capable, we have other young OL that they must feel are capable to fill the RT spot. Let them go thru camp first and the other teams make cuts then if we really need it we will bring in a T to fill the void. I trust Buges!

Archived