Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is the O-line help coming from?

The Waterboy

The offensive line is not quite the concern some of you believe. If Samuels goes down, we're in trouble, just like last year. That's the case for any team with an elite left tackle. For the early part of last year some mentioned our line as the best in football. With Dockery we should be fine. Rinehart is a good prospect with a year in the system. I'd love to resign Kendall at the vet minimum to assure a quality guy in reserve. Mike Williams is a guy I expect nothing from.

If "X Geriatric Lineman goes down, then we will be in trouble" is not a reasonable risk posture. For starters we really don't have a starting RT, so if Samuels goes down, that means we won't have anyone of note on either tackle. I think a FAR more reasonable risk posture is to say, "We expect that our geriatric linemen will go down at some point, and therefore we've decided to expend resources in the way of draft picks and FAs to prepare for this contingency."

And no, I don't remember people putting the skins line as among the best in football. We have a mediocre center, a truly mediocre LG (up until Dockery), and no real starter at RT. Jansen doesn't cut it any more and Heyer is nothing more than filler.

Except apparently the guy hasnt been there for 5 years. That excuse worked for the first year. So many years later without taking any offensive linemen, it just doesn't fly anymore. If they wanted to make offensive line an emphasis, they could, but they havent. Last year we payed the price, hopefully we won't again this year.

Exactly. Nobody should be buying that excuse any more. It would be nice if they just came out with an honest position - their philosophy is that mediocre lineman in late rounds are adequate for our needs. They prefer to pay scarce resources on skill positions. Its just that simple. Follow the money if you have any doubt. We've paid for exactly what we've gotten - mediocre line play.

That said, I love the upgrades on the Dline this year. Perhaps they will get real results out of this, and the lightbulb will turn on in someone's head to the point they might consider this on the oline as well.

I don't care how crazy it sounds, I'm sticking with my conspiracy theory.

No O-line drafted on purpose because the FO wants JC to struggle and look like its his fault. Then they can wash their hands of him after the year.

In any of our picks from the 3rd round down, we could have got possible STARTERS on the O-line at RT, C, or guard.

Now we just have guys who are competing for backup spots and we still have the same old decrepit line starting.

Sorry, but its true.

This whole draft when it comes to Buges and the offensive line is like the movie that just ran a couple of weekends ago, The Ten Commandments.

Vinny is basically Ramses telling the Hebrews (Buges) : Tell them to make bricks without straw.

Are you sure Vinny isn't the character in the Ten Commandments who said "Sire, she is not worthy of your magnificense."

One of the greatest suck up lines ever.

No O-line drafted on purpose because the FO wants JC to struggle and look like its his fault. Then they can wash their hands of him after the year.

In any of our picks from the 3rd round down, we could have got possible STARTERS on the O-line at RT, C, or guard.

Now we just have guys who are competing for backup spots and we still have the same old decrepit line starting.

Sorry, but its true.

He doesn't need bad blocking to do that.

Sorry, but its true.

I wish they had found a way to get an OL just as much as the next guy but Starter? Really?

If "X Geriatric Lineman goes down, then we will be in trouble" is not a reasonable risk posture. For starters we really don't have a starting RT, so if Samuels goes down, that means we won't have anyone of note on either tackle. I think a FAR more reasonable risk posture is to say, "We expect that our geriatric linemen will go down at some point, and therefore we've decided to expend resources in the way of draft picks and FAs to prepare for this contingency."

And no, I don't remember people putting the skins line as among the best in football. We have a mediocre center, a truly mediocre LG (up until Dockery), and no real starter at RT. Jansen doesn't cut it any more and Heyer is nothing more than filler.

Even if we drafted a guy, we still wouldn't have a starter at RT. Someone would have to earn that right and there is no guarantee that who we drafted would earn that spot.

Overall, it was a pretty weak OL class and our drafting reflected that.

From Jim Zorn [Tandler's blog]:

On not drafting an offensive lineman in this draft:

"Well down the way, we've had five picks. Now we tried to move in different places all throughout this draft. Very active on the phones, trying to move around so we can capture one of these guys and it either hasn't worked or when we've had that chance to pick the guy hasn't really been there. We feel really fortunate in the guys that we do have though.

"I'm not disappointed that has happened either because we are developing some offensive players. We are developing some of our linemen. We are hoping that Chad Rinehart develops into an outstanding offensive lineman. D'Anthony Batiste, we hope he can develop. We just got Mike Williams. We just got Derrick Dockery, so there are some new faces that are going to be in that offensive line and we will see how they develop as well."

I read a report somewhere that Williams is losing weight and is at 370 down from 410.

Yeah, the line should be fine.;)

(sarcasm)

Sorry, but its true.

and that's why you're crazy

there were no starting calibre OT's left in the 3rd. ,duke robinson doesn't count either. he's a terrible pass blocker at OG,he'd do worse at OT.When vinny says that the OL depth was weak in this draft he isn't lying. every once in a while an OL would come off the board but it would be a no name guy,or a guy who would need grooming to start in the NFL. rarely do 3rd round rookies and later OL start in the NFL,and ever more rarely do they do well. I can only think of one late round rookie doing well in the past 5 years and that's jahri evans of the saints.

I'd much rather take a good value prospect like keven barnes who looks to be a very good player at a position of need. than reach for an OL just for the sake of getting an OL. we're in process of grooming some young players right now like stephon heyer/devin clark/batiste .

In addition to Kevin Dockery and Mike Williams, the FO signed the following players at the end of last year:

Devin Clark, 23

Rueben Riley, 25

D'Anthony Batiste, 27

Isaiah Ross, 28

Will Montgomery, 26

Both Batiste and Montgomery have started on other teams before so they do have experience.

These guys may or may not pan out but if they do at least they will provide, along with Rinehart, some depth on the o-line.

and that's why you're crazy

there were no starting calibre OT's left in the 3rd. ,duke robinson doesn't count either. he's a terrible pass blocker at OG,he'd do worse at OT.When vinny says that the OL depth was weak in this draft he isn't lying. every once in a while an OL would come off the board but it would be a no name guy,or a guy who would need grooming to start in the NFL. rarely do 3rd round rookies and later OL start in the NFL,and ever more rarely do they do well. I can only think of one late round rookie doing well in the past 5 years and that's jahri evans of the saints.

I'd much rather take a good value prospect like keven barnes who looks to be a very good player at a position of need. than reach for an OL just for the sake of getting an OL. we're in process of grooming some young players right now like stephon heyer/devin clark/batiste .

Yeah, they were saying that a lot late in ESPN's broadcast about all the linemen that were being picked were probably not worth a damn. Sometimes I think fans would feel better if we picked a guy who never had a chance of making the roster and saying we do draft guys rather than passing on them in the first place.

I really would of traded our 3rd rounder this year and a 1st next year for a 1st this year and another pick in order to trade for Ohur. Getting Oher and Erakpo would of been a great draft and satisfied our need.

So we were 19th in the league in total yards with our "crappy" O-Line.

13 teams had less yards per game.

We scored 265 points last season (3 less than Detroit).

Here's the point total of teams with less yards per game:

20. Jacksonville - 302 (Decent QB play)

21. Tennessee - 375 (Good QB play)

22. Pittsburgh - 347 (Good QB play)

23. San Fran - 339 (Average QB play)

25. Buffalo - 336 (Average QB play)

26. Chicago - 375 (Decent QB play)

27. St. Louis - 232 (Bad O-Line)

28. Seattle - 294 (Hasselbeck injured)

29. Oakland - 263 (Poor QB play)

30. Detroit - 268 (No QB)

31. Cleveland - 232 (Poor QB play)

32. Cincinnati - 204 (Palmer injured all season)

You can say it's solely because of O-line problems. Simple fact is we don't throw the ball down the field enough. We have an above average running game. We have a top notch pass catching tight end. We have a decent core of receivers. Why aren't we scoring more points? Campbell is clearly the issue right now. The O-line will be decent and slightly improved with Dockery. A middle of the road O-line and top level defense should be enough to be a contender.

the front office made it perfectly clear:

its campbell, not the oline. so when were sitting at 3-5 after the first 8 games, im hoping colt can take us 6-2 the rest of the way and get us the wild card at 9-7.

Since it's all Campbell and not one bit the o-line, how was JC able to have a 99.5 qbr for the first 8 games and then fall to a 72.3 for the last 8 games.

Your reasoning that Samuels' injury, which at the time was called season ending, and Thomas' injury which should have kept him off the field since he risk being paralyzed had no effect on the o-line's play or JC's play is totally absurd.

And I don't want the excuse that teams figured out they could stop Portis and JC wouldn't beat them. We ARE a run first team. Hello! They could stop Portis because our best two linemen, who are known for their run blocking and not pass protection anyway, shouldn't have even been playing.

With Samuels and Thomas healthy the o-line will be as good as it was the first half of last year, which means JC will put up the same numbers or better. Then there will be no need to put Colt on the field.

Since it's all Campbell and not one bit the o-line, how was JC able to have a 99.5 qbr for the first 8 games and then fall to a 72.3 for the last 8 games.

Your reasoning that Samuels' injury, which at the time was called season ending, and Thomas' injury which should have kept him off the field since he risk being paralyzed had no effect on the o-line's play or JC's play is totally absurd.

And I don't want the excuse that teams figured out they could stop Portis and JC wouldn't beat them. We ARE a run first team. Hello! They could stop Portis because our best two linemen, who are known for their run blocking and not pass protection anyway, shouldn't have even been playing.

With Samuels and Thomas healthy the o-line will be as good as it was the first half of last year, which means JC will put up the same numbers or better. Then there will be no need to put Colt on the field.

we are NOT a run first team. we were with joe gibbs, we have moved on to a WCO. why didnt it look like we were running one last season? ask big #17, he'll tell you. he cant run it, so we ran portis into the ground instead, just like gibbs was doing.

id love to see what this team would look like running a real WCO, were built for it already with the personel we have but campbell is such a below average starter that we cant run it.

and why did we do well to begin the season? portis was on fire, our defense was playing great, and campbell was playing BETTER. his first 8 games were nothing to write home about, he just wasnt screwing up.

and QB rating is a garbage stat, so please get that out of here. brunells QB rating in 06 was like a 90 and he was dreadful. throwing short and playing it safe with no INTs gets you a high rating, that is all.

Cool. No depth AND all starters on the OL over 33.

Did anybody take notes during the post-season brainstorming session? Remember, the one where the coaches said the reason for the collapse from 6-2 to 2-6 was because of the collapse of the OLine? Where one coach thought the question was a joke because the answer was so obvious?

And if Rabach gets hurt we have Guisinger. If Samuels or Jansen gets hurt we have either Samuels/Heyer or Jansen/Heyer. What if two of them get hurt? All three were injured last year. The point is we have no depth AND we have an OLine that has shown they can't play beyond half a season.

BPA is doing more than failing to create an elite team, it's destroying the one we have. At some point you have to abandon BPA when part of your team is in shambles. Do we have 5 Ray Browns out there and they're all going to play until they're 40? What is the BPA approach when OL are never the BPA?

If 28th in scoring wasn't bad enough to convince the Skins, wait until this year. The 2-6 we ended up with will be happy memories. I realize the solution for next year will be to turn it over to Colt and get rid of Zorn, but it's going to come down to no OL and no offense.

Maybe the whole purpose in Snyderrato's madness is to get to 2-14 and draft Bradford.

Archived