Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is the O-line help coming from?

The Waterboy

Cool. No depth AND all starters on the OL over 33.

Did anybody take notes during the post-season brainstorming session? Remember, the one where the coaches said the reason for the collapse from 6-2 to 2-6 was because of the collapse of the OLine? Where one coach thought the question was a joke because the answer was so obvious?

And if Rabach gets hurt we have Guisinger. If Samuels or Jansen gets hurt we have either Samuels/Heyer or Jansen/Heyer. What if two of them get hurt? All three were injured last year. The point is we have no depth AND we have an OLine that has shown they can't play beyond half a season.

BPA is doing more than failing to create an elite team, it's destroying the one we have. At some point you have to abandon BPA when part of your team is in shambles. Do we have 5 Ray Browns out there and they're all going to play until they're 40? What is the BPA approach when OL are never the BPA?

If 28th in scoring wasn't bad enough to convince the Skins, wait until this year. The 2-6 we ended up with will be happy memories. I realize the solution for next year will be to turn it over to Colt and get rid of Zorn, but it's going to come down to no OL and no offense.

Maybe the whole purpose in Snyderrato's madness is to get to 2-14 and draft Bradford.

its blatantly obvious that our FO and coach thinks its jason not the oline. we tried to get cutler, and we tried to trade up and get sanchez.

yet we do nothing to address the oline? if its such a problem, why arent we addressing it, after weve already addressed the dline with haynesworth which was our other big concern? we added dockery, and our other guys are solid.

maybe our QB is just not very good? ever think of that? our FO and coaching staff sure have lol.

i disagree whole heartedly, the oline is a problem. it has no ability to make the big push when need it. pass blocking is a problem inside and out. we have little depth and the fact is all of the olinemans play has slipped over the last 2 years. injuries happen to all but happen more often and are worse to older players. put that with the fact that they are small in weight by nfl standards at about 305 or less. i still remember the giants game where we had the game locked up and yet they fought back. in the end we needed just to score one touchdown. we had multiple chances from the goalline and couldn't do it.against detroit, the rams and the bengals our oline was unable to control the game and we lost or barely hung on to beat the worst teams last year. this problem has gone on long enough and yet they keep lieing to themselves that their line is kickin.even portis and others said the line needs to be addressed.it is an issue,i am glad we got the manster haynesworth, but it is our offense that is the biggest weakness. not the defense.and we have a lb position without a viable starter and please don't say anything about hb blades. he's a good special team players and pt back up and thats it.

Overall, it was a pretty weak OL class and our drafting reflected that.

Your assessment differs widely from the experts. Most have called this one of the deepest Oline drafts there are. I'm bettin we'll find that Olinemen drafted in the 3rd round and down stick around - some of which will start.

i i still remember the giants game where we had the game locked up and yet they fought back. in the end we needed just to score one touchdown. we had multiple chances from the goalline and couldn't do it.

I'm sure that's also JC's fault. Nope, no line problems - our G-Force line (G for Geriatric, of course) is more than adequate. Had we had a good QB our RBs would have punched that TD through!

we are NOT a run first team. we were with joe gibbs, we have moved on to a WCO. why didnt it look like we were running one last season? ask big #17, he'll tell you. he cant run it, so we ran portis into the ground instead, just like gibbs was doing.

id love to see what this team would look like running a real WCO, were built for it already with the personel we have but campbell is such a below average starter that we cant run it.

and why did we do well to begin the season? portis was on fire, our defense was playing great, and campbell was playing BETTER. his first 8 games were nothing to write home about, he just wasnt screwing up.

and QB rating is a garbage stat, so please get that out of here. brunells QB rating in 06 was like a 90 and he was dreadful. throwing short and playing it safe with no INTs gets you a high rating, that is all.

I don't really disagree with what you're saying, but I'll add that Zorn did a less-than-stellar job of adjusting his scheme when the other teams got some film on his stuff.

I guess this year is it, for Zorn AND Campbell. For better or worse, they are tied at the hip. If the Skins win a playoff game, they both come back in 2010. If we don't, well, a new HC comes in and hand picks his franchise QB next April.

I don't really disagree with what you're saying, but I'll add that Zorn did a less-than-stellar job of adjusting his scheme when the other teams got some film on his stuff.

I guess this year is it, for Zorn AND Campbell. For better or worse, they are tied at the hip. If the Skins win a playoff game, they both come back in 2010. If we don't, well, a new HC comes in and hand picks his franchise QB next April.

youre probably right, although i think zorn should have some more time to get a real QB in here to run his system. everything seattle was doing with hasselbeck was working fine and im assuming he was trying to implement his own version of that. i just dont think campbell is capable of doing it.

ive said it in other threads, i have a bad feeling this is gonna be 2004 all over again. brutal crushing defense with no offense. were gonna be a poor mans baltimore ravens.

im really bummed we didnt draft any olineman for depth, but again, oline wont make campbell a better QB.

our offense is doomed.

Too bad you have no idea what JC can do behind a good/healthy O-Line. None of us do. All I know is he has talent waiting to be unleashed because ive seen flashes of it. I would think we would see more of this talent if the line could give more time, but I dont know either because it hasnt happend!!

Couldn't we integrate Fred Davis as an additional blocker in passing situations? Sure he's raw and untested but at least it's a start. The guy does have solid skills that we haven't even seen yet (despite what you may read on this board).

Then hope we can coach up guys like Rhinehart and Heyer and pray that Samuels returns to form? The lack of depth is still startling but I also don't buy the argument that JC needs Fort Knox standing in front of him to succeed. We'll see soon enough. Maybe we can find someone in the FA market.

For now I'm just trying to stay stoked that we FINALLY draft on D-line and got someone who looks like he'll be a beast. Go O-SACK-po!

its blatantly obvious that our FO and coach thinks its jason not the oline. we tried to get cutler, and we tried to trade up and get sanchez.

yet we do nothing to address the oline? if its such a problem, why arent we addressing it, after weve already addressed the dline with haynesworth which was our other big concern? we added dockery, and our other guys are solid.

maybe our QB is just not very good? ever think of that? our FO and coaching staff sure have lol.

the thing with the OL is

Chris Samuels is a beast

Derrick Dockery is obviously a starter

Casey Rabach gets more blame than any center should,he's solid,beastly centers are a rare breed.

Randy Thomas should be solid after healing up. I don't see how anyone could pencil in a 3rd rounder or later rookie starting over him :doh: . we already have OG depth in Rinehart.

when it comes to RT,none were worthy of the 3rd rounder,and anyone taken in the 5th round or later would probably get dominated if they had to start as a rookie.

if a team would have taken the skins 3rd rounder and next years 1st for us to go up and grab oher I would have done it in a heart beat,but after the 1st and 2nd round, quality OT's are tough to find.

I think the team felt like they possibly had an answer for RT already on the roster,albeit a solid not flashy solution. but still passable. where as the LE spot was being fought over between philip daniels and Renaldo wynn.... seriously... daniels and wynn both battleing for a starting job? somethings wrong there. If the light truely went on for Rinehart I wouldn't be surprised if he's the leading canditate for the RT spot by the time the season's about to start.

Cool. No depth AND all starters on the OL over 33.

Did anybody take notes during the post-season brainstorming session? Remember, the one where the coaches said the reason for the collapse from 6-2 to 2-6 was because of the collapse of the OLine? Where one coach thought the question was a joke because the answer was so obvious?

Exactly right. We're all theorizing about where the real weakness of the offense lay last year but the team's own internal review, right after the season, pointed to the offensive line.

Zorn confirmed this later when he addressed the play of the line and the need to get younger players up to speed.

So, regardless of what we may think now about whether it's Campbell's fault or the line's fault, we know that at one point in the offseason, the coaching staff felt that the o-line needed to be addressed. What has changed between then and now? Please don't say Derrick Dockery. He's an incremental improvement over Pete Kendall, not a game-changer.

Either there's a major disconnect between what the coaches think and what the front-office thinks (which does not bode well for the team) or the team is just going to trot out the same cast of characters on offense next year and expect the unit to be more productive. Einstein famously defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In either case, the team is obviously befuddled as to what they really need to do to get better.

They are definitely rolling the dice this year.

LT - Can Samuels stay healthy?

LG - Can Dockery get back to being at least a solid starter after struggling in Buffalo?

C - I think Rabach is the 2nd surest thing they have behind Samuels

RG - Thomas is another huge injury question

RT - Heyer needs to mature, JJ needs to get younger/healthier, and Mike Williams is a complete wild card

It was disappointing that they didn't address OL depth. But really, what killed them there was the Jason Taylor trade as the OL value really fell off after the 2nd round, especially at tackle after Beatty went to the Giants.

Too bad you have no idea what JC can do behind a good/healthy O-Line. None of us do. All I know is he has talent waiting to be unleashed because ive seen flashes of it. I would think we would see more of this talent if the line could give more time, but I dont know either because it hasnt happend!!

he had an amazingly great line in 06, a great line in 07, then when he started showing he wasnt anything other than mediocre, its all about how bad the line is. lol.

if the FO thought the line was the reason campbell sucked, theyd have upgraded it. did they touch it? no. did they try everything to get two other QBs in here? yes

campbell has tons of time, hes just slower than molasses so he gets sacked. simple as that.

something else too, the bengals just said levi jones is available for trade or they might release him. hes 29, will be 30 at the start of the season. might be good for a RT if hes not too expensive and hes healthy enough.

im waiting for vinny to trade our 2nd rounder next year for him lol.

Do not even joke like that.

the thing with the OL is

Chris Samuels is a beast

Derrick Dockery is obviously a starter

Casey Rabach gets more blame than any center should,he's solid,beastly centers are a rare breed.

Randy Thomas should be solid after healing up. I don't see how anyone could pencil in a 3rd rounder or later rookie starting over him :doh: . we already have OG depth in Rinehart.

when it comes to RT,none were worthy of the 3rd rounder,and anyone taken in the 5th round or later would probably get dominated if they had to start as a rookie.

if a team would have taken the skins 3rd rounder and next years 1st for us to go up and grab oher I would have done it in a heart beat,but after the 1st and 2nd round, quality OT's are tough to find.

I think the team felt like they possibly had an answer for RT already on the roster,albeit a solid not flashy solution. but still passable. where as the LE spot was being fought over between philip daniels and Renaldo wynn.... seriously... daniels and wynn both battleing for a starting job? somethings wrong there. If the light truely went on for Rinehart I wouldn't be surprised if he's the leading canditate for the RT spot by the time the season's about to start.

im pretty sure the team is not interested in rhinehardt being a T, hes definitely a G from what i remember hearing. but another young body on the oline is good no matter what position he is.

im really bummed we didnt draft any olineman for depth, but again, oline wont make campbell a better QB.

our offense is doomed.

This, BLC, is exactly what I'm talking about in other threads. This thread had NOTHING to do with Campbell, but you just hijacked it to rip on him and the rest of the thread went to ****. There was literally NO reason to bring him up.

Come on, man. Just get over it already. Did he punch a member of your family in the face or something?

I was hearing that the primary reason why they didn't draft a tackle is because they're banking on Mike Williams. IMO, that's a huge risk.

I was hearing that the primary reason why they didn't draft a tackle was because of a lack of draft picks, and that no OT that was available in round 3 was worth it.

I think they're counting way more on Jansen and Heyer than they are on Williams. Those two players would be more of a reason to skip OTs late in the draft than Williams.

I was hearing that the primary reason why they didn't draft a tackle was because of a lack of draft picks, and that no OT that was available in round 3 was worth it.

I think they're counting way more on Jansen and Heyer than they are on Williams. Those two players would be more of a reason to skip OTs late in the draft than Williams.

Lack of picks are nobody's fault, but their own. I just hope Heyer can hold up otherwise they're in serious trouble.

Archived