Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

April 24, 2004: The Redskins select...........

hokie4redskins

Remember?

I remember this board still being punch-drunk about Gibbs' return. After three months, the majority could still not believe it. But the board was slowly returning to business-as-usual bickering.

The subject?

Sean Taylor versus Kellen Winslow Jr. Who do we pick at #5?

I was clamoring for Taylor as I remember my beloved Hokies facing him every year. Dude redefined the position and the game itself. I couldn't believe anybody with even an iota of football knowledge would've wanted Winslow over Taylor. Yet the debate raged.

(Did the Winslow supporters ever fess up for being imbeciles, btw?)

Unfortunately, the Commonwealth of Virginia decided to schedule the GRE on draft day and I was stuck drafting some meaningless writing sample when the Skins selected. I didn't find out about Taylor until about 3pm. Talk about rejoice. Might've been the last time I felt confident about the direction this organization was going.

Would Snyder have even picked Taylor if Gibbs/Williams weren't here, or if, God forbid, Spurrier decided the third year's the charm?

Imagine that for a second.

Damn memories of yesteryear...........can't believe that was five years ago. Can't believe that was one of the last times I was confident about the Redskins.

Anyway, I never start threads in the Stadium, but I thought this very important date in Redskins history should be highlighted.

Damn.

I remember I was firmly on the fence.

Either player was okay for me.

I was intrigued by Winslow and had visions of his father but at the same time Gibbs won the first time around without a stud H-back/Tight End so I wasn't sure it was really a need.

Taylor was a player that you just had to be giddy about simply because everyone who talked about him just said how great of an athlete he was and that he was doing things that nobody at his size could do. I usually don't like safeties that high, but Taylor was the one and only exception.

all i know is u need to get rid of that silly ass marcus vick sig
I think that is Tyrod Taylor....

But yea I was on the fence and was leaning towards Winslow. I didnt really know alot about Taylor honestly. I just knew that Winslows father had some connections to the skins because of playing with Gibbs and the Skins supposedly according the Winslow said they were picking him. If I had to do it all over again I would take Taylor 10 out of 10 times. The guy was a freak of nature and made watching our defense fun.... Damn I miss that man..

same number same results whatever he's still a bum, and yes a went to VT and yes Tyrod is a bum

last decent qb that doesnt have guns at mcdonalds in blacksburg and steps on defenders on natinal tv for the hokies was brian randall

You went to VT? Looks like you dropped out in the 3rd grade.

Try contributing to the thread.

:thumbsup:

I remember watching this draft and hoping that we got Sean Taylor. I even remember them doing the split screen with Taylor and Winslow, and showing the percentages. Winslow had the highest percentage when the commissioner walked up to the podium...I was pissed until they said Sean Taylor. :)

I remember the furor leading up to that draft. Huge debates at the time on the pros and cons of drafting a safety in the first round. Especially as high as he went. Of course,there was Winslow there as well. It quite the time here on ES. Just like any other draft day. Somebody is bound to be pissed and somebody is bound to be happy.

I remember being all over Sean Taylor too. I didn't want the diva TE at that time. I remember jumping up and down when they took Taylor and my neighbor (a Giants fan) saying "your that excited over a Safety". I told him this kid is something special and is as big as a LB, wait and see. Still brings a tear to my eye to think his life was taken so early. Outside of his football talents, which he would of been a HOF-er, I can't imagine (being a father myself) not being able to see my children grow up, or them growing up without a father. RIP #21.

Great thread :)

I remember being nervous that the Skins would select KWJ.I was hoping,praying that we would get Sean Taylor. It was a no brainer to me. Sean Taylor was too good to pass. He was everything we could have hoped for and more for us the time we was here. It doesn't seem like it was only 5 short years ago does it?

I wasn't on the fence. Miami was still in the Big East back then, and the way Taylor played against my 'eers. I've always disliked miami in College, but Sean Taylor earned my respect and admiration. That's not an easy thing to do frankly :D

Snyder might have picked one of the quarterbacks Roethlisberger, Manning, or Rivers.

:wtf:

Both Rivers and Manning were gone by #5.

Roethlisberger didn't go until 11 and probably wasn't "sexy" enough for Snyder. Seriously, Miami of Ohio? For Snyder?

:no:

Methinks Snyder probably would've craved the attention by picking the "soldier." That would've been a disaster.

We should all feel wistful for the 2004 draft because when all is said and done, that will go down as one of the single greatest draft classes in the history of the league along with 1983. It's easily been the best of the decade.

There might be as many as 4 or 5 potential hall of famers that came out of that class (Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Larry Fitzgerald, Bob Sanders, Phil Rivers if he gets a ring?), and I will always hold that Sean Taylor would have been one of them if not for his murder. But there were an ungodly amount of pro-bowl selections from that class, with a pro-bowler coming out of every round except for the seventh. Not only that, 4 future pro-bowlers went undrafted that year because it was so stacked (Wes Welker, Matt McBriar, Willie Parker, and Jason Peters).

It was so good that Chris Cooley had to fall to the third because there were too many good prospects ahead of him. We won't see another class like that for a long time.

Great thread :)

I remember being nervous that the Skins would select KWJ.I was hoping,praying that we would get Sean Taylor. It was a no brainer to me. Sean Taylor was too good to pass. He was everything we could have hoped for and more for us the time we was here. It doesn't seem like it was only 5 short years ago does it?

Sean Taylor does seem like forever ago ......I still have drunk nights with my friends talking about what could have been (probably will for each season over the next 5-6 )

We should all feel wistful for the 2004 draft because when all is said and done, that will go down as one of the single greatest draft classes in the history of the league along with 1983. It's easily been the best of the decade.

There might be as many as 4 or 5 potential hall of famers that came out of that class (Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Larry Fitzgerald, Bob Sanders, Phil Rivers if he gets a ring?), and I will always hold that Sean Taylor would have been one of them if not for his murder. But there were an ungodly amount of pro-bowl selections from that class, with a pro-bowler coming out of every round except for the seventh. Not only that, 4 future pro-bowlers went undrafted that year because it was so stacked (Wes Welker, Matt McBriar, Willie Parker, and Jason Peters).

It was so good that Chris Cooley had to fall to the third because there were too many good prospects ahead of him. We won't see another class like that for a long time.

That was a great class. Speaks volumes about Taylor that a safety went #5 overall. Such a good class, Parcells thought Cooley would be nothing but a good special teams player.

:laugh:

Archived