Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gil Brandt responds to me.

Vooskin

First time I ever bothered doing one of these question things. Anyways heres the link to it going on now http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/218

And here is the question I asked.

Mike H., Virginia Beach

02:20 PM ET

Do Dan Snyder and the Redskins really like Mark Sanchez as much as the media has been reporting or do you think its a smoke screen? I find it hard to believe that the organization would let the world know how much they love this kid. Any chance they could be trying to entice teams above them to take him so maybe one of the top 3 tackles drops to them?

brandt40x55.jpg

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Mike, I think that is a very, very good thought. It's been known to happen in the past. If that's the case, the Redskins would love to see one of the teams that is looking at the tackles trade down with a team that wants Sanchez. We'll see.

agreed.... terrible answer. say what you actually think, thats why people are asking questions

He doesn't have any more clue than you do...thats the thing these guys don't know so for some questions they don't care how "good" of an answer they give...

Brandt is saying the Skins could be showing false interest in Sanchez in the hopes that one of the teams who really wants him trades up ahead of us to pick Sanchez. Hopefully the resulting trade down team wants one of the OT's we actually do want and moves out of position to get one.

That made my head hurt a little.

All I hear you Skins fans do is whine about how Campbell is learning his 4th system, he doesn't have elite receivers, or his offensive line sucks (though it was fine up until it was exposed by the Steelers ).

These are all terrible excuses. Look at Big Ben. He has played with a piss poor OL, has average receivers, and still manages to get the job done. I know our defense is the best but yours isn't too shabby either. Skins have a great secondary and are good at stopping the run (even though your pass rush needs an upgrade). The bottom line is Jason Campbell is a horrible quarterback. He can't convert on 3rd and anything past 8 (checkdowns for 4-5 yards to help his stats) and doesn't take any risks downfield.. Last time I remember you guys making the playoffs is when Collins had to fix the mess Campbell caused during the regular season and win out. If I were any of you, I would pray you guys draft Sanchez!!!

All I hear you Skins fans do is whine about how Campbell is learning his 4th system, he doesn't have elite receivers, or his offensive line sucks (though it was fine up until it was exposed by the Steelers ).

These are all terrible excuses. Look at Big Ben. He has played with a piss poor OL, has average receivers, and still manages to get the job done. I know our defense is the best but yours isn't too shabby either. Skins have a great secondary and are good at stopping the run (even though your pass rush needs an upgrade). The bottom line is Jason Campbell is a horrible quarterback. He can't convert on 3rd and anything past 8 (checkdowns for 4-5 yards to help his stats) and doesn't take any risks downfield.. Last time I remember you guys making the playoffs is when Collins had to fix the mess Campbell caused during the regular season and win out. If I were any of you, I would pray you guys draft Sanchez!!!

I take it that Ben, to you, sets the standard for "average QB's" such that everyone should meet or exceed what he has done? I mean it must be, otherwise why bring him up?

I take it that Ben, to you, sets the standard for "average QB's" such that everyone should meet or exceed what he has done? I mean it must be, otherwise why bring him up?

I'm a Steelers fan, so I bring up Ben. And I wouldn't call him "average" at all. Top 5 definitely (arguably top 3 since he always finds a way to win).

Mike (the topic starter) is actually a good friend of mine from VA and we usually talk friendly trash between teams (I have nothing against the Skins, just putting in my 2 cents that Jason Campbell is the problem with your team).

I'm a Steelers fan, so I bring up Ben. And I wouldn't call him "average" at all. Top 5 definitely (arguably top 3 since he always finds a way to win).

Mike (the topic starter) is actually a good friend of mine from VA and we usually talk friendly trash between teams (I have nothing against the Skins, just putting in my 2 cents that Jason Campbell is the problem with your team).

We are already training our QB of the future in Brennan. I think JC is just a fill-in for this year. I think every coach wants to have their guy and JC was Gibbs' choice for his outdated offense with MB as a fill-in and next year we will find out if Zorn was right with Brennan, or whether he missed on not drafting Sanchez. Sanchez will not be drafted by the Skins. Period. I agree that we will go nowhere with JC but we are stuck with him for another year....and hopefully we will have a great OL for Colt to learn behind.....The OL wasnt exposed by the Steelers. The OL just gave up on JC....they dont respect his leadership.

We are already training our QB of the future in Brennan. I think JC is just a fill-in for this year. I think every coach wants to have their guy and JC was Gibbs' choice for his outdated offense with MB as a fill-in and next year we will find out if Zorn was right with Brennan, or whether he missed on not drafting Sanchez. Sanchez will not be drafted by the Skins. Period. I agree that we will go nowhere with JC but we are stuck with him for another year....and hopefully we will have a great OL for Colt to learn behind.....The OL wasnt exposed by the Steelers. The OL just gave up on JC....they dont respect his leadership.

Which is odd because the OL always talks about how great of a leader he is.

Oh but but but but but but they're just saying that. In reality, the OL kisses Brennan's feet and worships the ground he walks on. Have you made your daily sacrifice of 50 cows, 100 goats and 300 chickens to Colt yet?

I'm trying corrupted but 100 goats is hard to come by.

Btw in reponse to your sig, yah everyone has different ways of leading, jason may be a great leader in his own way but not all styles of leadership work effectively on a large group of people. Sometimes simple vocal leadership and showing of emotions is the easiest and most effective way to motivate a group of people. Teachers in school with different styles can effectively motivate different children but the teachers that are remembered the most and typically influence the most are the ones that that display the characteristics opposite of what Jason shows.

Being competitive acting professional and classy are all great qualities which I agree Jason seems to show, Art Monk was that way too and may have been thought of as a quiet leader. Thats fine when you play the WR position, but when you are the General of the offense I'm not one to believe that in most situations it is a very effective style of leadership. You can be the fiercest competitor but have no influence on others and with the way I saw the skins slack off and almost quit trying towards the end of games especially like they thought there was no hope I am to believe that Jason lacks ideal leadership. We don;t come back from games behind, specially not on the shoulders of jason and we dont put teams away either. Rams, Browns, 49ers games are all easy examples. Games statistically dominating and leading only to have teams come from behind and win, didnt lose to the browns but it came down to the wire.

You must be a Steeler fan ... nonetheless your viewpoint is held by many Skins fans including moi.

I suggest you read the posts on this site. its about 50/50 on love/hate for Campbell

He doesn't have any more clue than you do...thats the thing these guys don't know so for some questions they don't care how "good" of an answer they give...

You are wrong my friend. Gil is retired, but still does a couple shows on Sirius NFL radio. Gil is the best talent evaluator in the history of the NFL. That man's brain is a CPU. He knows names of all recruits, the city they were born, the city they played high school ball, how many siblings, and the parent’s name of every draft eligible players dating back to the 1950's. Listening to him roll this stuff out to callers is like a real live episode of stump the Schwab. In the 5 years I've been listening to him on the radio, I can only count a handful of times when he had no clue about a player from back in the day.

Also Gil doesn't do Mock Drafts because he is widely respected by all teams in the NFL. Instead of a Mock Draft, he has a way of actually getting inside information on how teams actually rank the current year's prospects. Gil does a show on Sirius during the draft. He’ll never tip the players name, but once the card has been placed at the podium he'll call the pick before the commissioner opens the envelope. His success rate is high 90% over the last five years.

If anybody knows, it's Gil. A couple years ago I heard Adam Schein call-out Mayock when the Dolphins were on the clock. I forget who Mayock was calling as the lock for their pick when Gil chimed in "this is going to be a shocker to most, but not me: then he called "Tedd Gin Jr." right before the Commission opened the envelope. Mayock was like "I didn't see that one coming. It perplexes me why they would take Ginn at this spot." Gil went on to say how Miami had him drafted as the third best WR on their board for a multitude of reasons and the two WR's that were before him were off the board.

I hate giving a lifelong cowboy props, but the man is a human CPU.

Archived