Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tito Jackson

Dcskins71

hey, i've been wondering about Rob Jackson. I havent heard or seen any news about him at all this offseason. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything because obviously if he could step up and become pretty good at DE it would be enormous. Thanks

Unfortunately, none of the beat reporters seem to find the time to find out what is going on with players like Jackson and none of us are inside the park to know. I would suspect that Wilson has proven himself more in practice, hence getting the playing time. Jackson may struggle to make the team if the skins go DE in the draft which I hope and acquire Everett Brown.

I remember him doing some pretty solid work last preseason. He got some very limited time last regular season. But the kid is like 6'4 260 lbs. and only 23 years old. Those are the kind of guys that we let go and someone like Philly picks up and turns into a perinial contributor. Lets see what he can do with a push up the middle.

The Skins are going to have to get lucky with a couple from a group of low expectation players to be successful this year given the lack of draft choices and cap space, much less if we trade up. Some guys have to emerge from: Buzbee, Jackson, Wilson (at SLB), Rheinhart, Devin Clark, Fincher, Heyer, (obviously the wrs/te from last draft have to step up too).

Unfortunately, none of the beat reporters seem to find the time to find out what is going on with players like Jackson and none of us are inside the park to know. I would suspect that Wilson has proven himself more in practice, hence getting the playing time. Jackson may struggle to make the team if the skins go DE in the draft which I hope and acquire Everett Brown.

I was completely pessimistic about Brown, because he's from FSU and I hate FSU, but after watching some video of the guy today, he is definitely the best pass rusher in the draft. He does EVERYTHING fantastic. I saw him throw linemen off balance, a swim move, a spin, he got through the line once with a hook move (or whatever you call it, I didn't play D-line obviously).

I've never ever ever ever seen a college D-linemen with those kind of moves. I'm starting to secretly hope we get that kid over anyone in the draft (if we can also get an OT or some help somewhere on the line).

I was completely pessimistic about Brown, because he's from FSU and I hate FSU, but after watching some video of the guy today, he is definitely the best pass rusher in the draft. He does EVERYTHING fantastic. I saw him throw linemen off balance, a swim move, a spin, he got through the line once with a hook move (or whatever you call it, I didn't play D-line obviously).

I've never ever ever ever seen a college D-linemen with those kind of moves. I'm starting to secretly hope we get that kid over anyone in the draft (if we can also get an OT or some help somewhere on the line).

He's only about 6'1 which is going to hurt him a lot in the pros. I don't know how long his arms are, but he'll need gorilla arms to make up for it. And he's neither as stout or polished as Freeney was coming out, so I don't think you can make the comparison between them.

Brown doesn't fit our scheme very well, and drafting a guy who doesn't fit your scheme is where a lot of teams go wrong. His place in the NFL is as a rush linebacker in a 3-4, which doesn't translate all that well into our defense. He certainly can't play LE, and he would struggle against taller LTs on the right side. Maybe we could use him as a strong side linebacker, and I think he would be a super-effective blitzer from that spot. But your still taking a guy with almost no experience in coverage, and I'm not certain he has the range to cover as much of the field as he'd have to playing OLB.

He's only about 6'1 which is going to hurt him a lot in the pros. I don't know how long his arms are, but he'll need gorilla arms to make up for it. And he's neither as stout or polished as Freeney was coming out, so I don't think you can make the comparison between them.

Brown doesn't fit our scheme very well, and drafting a guy who doesn't fit your scheme is where a lot of teams go wrong. His place in the NFL is as a rush linebacker in a 3-4, which doesn't translate all that well into our defense. He certainly can't play LE, and he would struggle against taller LTs on the right side. Maybe we could use him as a strong side linebacker, and I think he would be a super-effective blitzer from that spot. But your still taking a guy with almost no experience in coverage, and I'm not certain he has the range to cover as much of the field as he'd have to playing OLB.

If you can rush the QB, you can rush the QB. Forget the prototypical stuff. If that were the determining factor, a player like Johnson out of GT would be atop all the boards. Combine Browns first step with his array of moves and I'm willing to look past his size and what system he projects best in. When the pass rush is as anemic as the skins, I say you find a spot for a player like Brown. Moving Carter into rotation with Wynn and Daniels at LDE and letting Brown man the RDE wouldn't be that far fetched.

If you can rusher the QB, you can rush the QB. Forget the prototypical stuff. If that were the determining factor, a player like Johnson out of GT would be atop all the boards. Combine Browns first step with his array of moves and I'm willing to look past his size and what system he projects best in. When the pass rush is as anemic as the skins, I say you find a spot for a player like Brown. Moving Carter into rotation with Wynn and Daniels at LDE and letting Brown man the RDE wouldn't be that far fetched.

I like Brown's pass rushing abilities as well, but what concerns me is can he stop the run. a bit to small IMO and will get man handled in the NFL.

I like Brown's pass rushing abilities as well, but what concerns me is can he stop the run. a bit to small IMO and will get man handled in the NFL.

That is a legitimate concern but think about last year. Taylor is smaller and was hurt trying to play LDE with no Daniels or Wynn to rotate in and we still ranked 4th in defense. Add Haynesworth, Daniels and Wynn to the mix with a young stud like Brown and I doubt the run defense will be any worse than last year. You also have the benefit of someone who can actually sack the QB. Would much rather take the risk on giving up a few running plays and have someone that can be a disruptive force on passing plays. Getting sacks and forcing teams into obvious passing situations will only help our chances of getting off the field and keeping teams from sustaining drives.

No disrespect to Jackson intended, but the skins have largely ignored the DE position via draft since Kenard Lang and that was before Snyder took over the team. No DE has been taken higher than in the 7th round in that span. Yes, they have acquired talent via free agency but its just mind boggling that they haven't developed a DE in the last decade and extend contracts for players like Carter who has really only had one decent year. Not a good return on investment IMO. At this point, I'd rather take a chance on a player like Brown who is in a different league compared to the DE's on the current roster.

yall bout to see our if young ones are half-decent with Big Al causing the ruckus.

Translation:

"All of you are about to see if our young DL backup talent is good enough to propel our team to victory with the added assistance of Albert Haynesworth's formidable contributions to the effort."

That is a legitimate concern but think about last year. Taylor is smaller and was hurt trying to play LDE with no Daniels or Wynn to rotate in and we still ranked 4th in defense. Add Haynesworth, Daniels and Wynn to the mix with a young stud like Brown and I doubt the run defense will be any worse than last year. You also have the benefit of someone who can actually sack the QB. Would much rather take the risk on giving up a few running plays and have someone that can be a disruptive force on passing plays. Getting sacks and forcing teams into obvious passing situations will only help our chances of getting off the field and keeping teams from sustaining drives.

This is a very good point. Brown wouldn't be an every down player but he could certainly play in a rotation and give us pretty good production. Most DL take a few years to develop anyway so we really shouldn't be expecting to draft a 16 game, 3 down lineman in this draft.

Yes. He will have to make his living in the NFL speed-rushing off of the edge. He gives up 60 pounds probably 4-5 inches in arm length to the average NFL offensive tackle. He is going to get punched just about every snap he takes from a 3-point stance. Especially playing on the left if he's doubled by a tight end.

No disrespect to Jackson intended, but the skins have largely ignored the DE position via draft since Kenard Lang and that was before Snyder took over the team. No DE has been taken higher than in the 7th round in that span. Yes, they have acquired talent via free agency but its just mind boggling that they haven't developed a DE in the last decade and extend contracts for players like Carter who has really only had one decent year. Not a good return on investment IMO. At this point, I'd rather take a chance on a player like Brown who is in a different league compared to the DE's on the current roster.

Brown needs to play as a rush linebacker in a 3-4. We saw what happened with the Jason Taylor experiment last year and it sucked. And Taylor was significantly taller, more experienced, and more technically refined last year than Brown is now. Also, we relied heavily on Demetric Evans to pick up the slack and he's no longer around.

I bet at least half the time the reason a player busts is because they get taken by a team where they don't fit their schemes. It's why Jason Taylor didn't work out.

I'm not against drafting a defensive end at 13. In fact, it's what I'd prefer. But Brown isn't the one for us. Robert Ayers is much better suited to play LE for us, and he can rush the passer and destroy the run. Plus, the consensus opinion is that he is at least the 2nd or 3rd best DE in the class behind Brian Orakpo and maybe Aaron Maybin (who looks like a 3-4 LB too).

This is a very good point. Brown wouldn't be an every down player but he could certainly play in a rotation and give us pretty good production. Most DL take a few years to develop anyway so we really shouldn't be expecting to draft a 16 game, 3 down lineman in this draft.

Jason Taylor failed here, we don't want to repeat that mistake! Plus, you'd be OK taking a guy who'd never be more than a situational pass-rusher for us at 13? That would pretty much be the definition of a bust. We'd be better off taking a workhorse like Tyson Jackson.

No we shouldn't necessarily expect a DE we take in the first round to start every game this season, but we should be able to expect a 1st round DE to play almost every snap when he finally is ready to start. We can get that if we draft well.

Archived