Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iowan style gay marriage comes to Vermont

Cooked Crack

Do my facts frustrate you?

Its not hard to do a search and see that what I posted is true.

You wouldn't know a fact if it lubed up and...well nevermind.

Your hatred for gays and everything else left of center is amusingly pathetic.

Get over yourself.

If "marriage" is a religious term, it should be stricken from every law book in the country and kept solely for those who wish to use it in a private religious ceremony.

If it’s a legal term, it should have no meaning besides the union between two people for tax purposes, living together, adopting children etc.

We're arguing over, and withholding basic rights for red-blooded, patriotic citizens over a word. They're gay, deal with it.

If they can have a divorce rate that's lower than 50% then how the hell are they "ruining the sanctity of marriage"?

Make every legal union a civil union or whatever you want to call it, then let the people who want to have their marriage that will be recognized by the church.

Why do you care what people do behind closed doors? Who are you to judge these people? They didn’t chose to be gay, so discriminating against them is the same thing as discriminating against someone for their skin color, and I’m pretty sure that we all agree that that’s unacceptable right?

It’s despicable to me that in 2009 there are people that still cling to this idea that homosexuals are somehow evil or dirty or trying to ruin some part of our society. Take a second to think about what it must be like to be a member of the most hated minority on the face of the planet through no fault of your own. Walk a mile in their shoes, think about how you would feel if homosexuals were in the majority and a heterosexual marriage was only allowed in 4 states. Yes, they’re different, and no its not what you define as normal but damnit its straight up un-American to deny these people what is rightfully theirs.

Just buy yourself some KY and bend over and get used to it.

This country is seriously messed up and this legalized perversion is one of many steps. Pretty soon it will be legal to marry your dog, your cat, or your goldfish. When nothing is "Right" then by definition, nothing can be "Wrong"

RIP U.S.A. Welcome U.S.S.A:(

Damn the engayifying of America leads to legalized bestiality? How did we exactly jump over polygamy to bestiality? I def thought that would be the next step.

Yeah it is amazing that I'll never embrace positions of the morally corrupt because its the in thing nowadays..

You don't have to embrace it but everybody would be much happier if the issue was kept out of the government entirely and left as a churches vs. gays battle (FYI THE GAYS PROBABLY COULDN'T WIN THAT, WHEN IT'S GAYS VS. THE GOVERNMENT THEY PROBABLY CAN WIN THAT.)

So its not about blurring the line of right and wrong, normal and perverse further eroding the moral foundation of society.

Sure :rolleyes:

Discrimination and bigotry is moral and Christian?

Glad I'm Jewish :whew:

So its not about blurring the line of right and wrong, normal and perverse further eroding the moral foundation of society.

no, you're right, I despise everything related to christianity and submit myself to allah. I also pee on cats every time I get the chance. Oh, and gay sex. lots of gay sex.

I'll never understand why the people who defend the sanctity of marriage so fervently don't realize they are picking the wrong ground on which to fight. If it's gays vs. the government and this country is getting more immoral daily you're going to inevitably lose. 4 states down, 46 to go right?

If you pick a different ground on which to fight a.k.a. take marriage out of the government and make the gays fight a church or group of churches banded together rather than fight the government for the use of the word marriage, religious groups pretty much can't lose.

They're choosing to lose right now mainly because they have the delusion that America is a country with a national religion just because it was founded upon christian values the last of which are slowly going extinct. America isn't going to be a christian nation officially, gays will get the right to the institution of marriage in all 50 states the way things are going. You need to be fighting to get it out of the government's hands and into your own hands while you still can.

Nobody will listen though.

If you pick a different ground on which to fight a.k.a. take marriage out of the government and make the gays fight a church or group of churches banded together rather than fight the government for the use of the word marriage, religious groups pretty much can't lose.

Different religions will certainly have different takes on whether or not they will allow gay marriage, but the anti-gay groups don't care about that. They don't want gay marriage at all, either civil or religious. So this won't work for them, since under your solution they will have already "lost."

That sounds a lot like what people said when the SCOTUS struck down laws prohibiting interracial marriages. People have been crying about the "erosion of the moral foundation of society" since the days of Cicero. Since that time, most societies have abolished slavery, curtailed the abuse of women, repealed anti-miscegenation laws, prohibited the lobotomization of the mentally handicapped, condemned religious persecutions and pogroms, etc. Yeah, we're really going to hell in a handbasket.

Gay marriage has become one of the polarizing issues thats handy to campaign around at election time and useful for the media to have something to talk about.

again, just get government out of the marriage business (like it was always supposed to be anyway) and there really isnt any more debate needed. This is simply establishment politics from both right and left and only serves as a distraction for real issues.

We disagree on many issues, but that is one excellent post. I am glad to see that you are pretty consistent and true to your quasi-libertarian politics.

That sounds a lot like what people said when the SCOTUS struck down laws prohibiting interracial marriages. People have been crying about the "erosion of the moral foundation of society" since the days of Cicero. Since that time, most societies have abolished slavery, curtailed the abuse of women, repealed anti-miscegenation laws, prohibited the lobotomization of the mentally handicapped, condemned religious persecutions and pogroms, etc. Yeah, we're really going to hell in a handbasket.

They're ruining all the fun!

Different religions will certainly have different takes on whether or not they will allow gay marriage, but the anti-gay groups don't care about that. They don't want gay marriage at all, either civil or religious. So this won't work for them, since under your solution they will have already "lost."

Yeah I guess so, I had almost forgotten about that pleasant group of people who, if they had their way, would probably have a nazi-esque persecution and final solution for all people who aren't christians and don't follow the teachings of christ to the extent that would please them.

*sigh* why can't people just say "I think gay marriage is ****ed up, but as long as I know who I am and what my religious community stands for, I've done what I've supposed to do in life"

*sigh* why can't people just say "I think gay marriage is ****ed up, but as long as I know who I am and what my religious community stands for, I've done what I've supposed to do in life"

Wouldn't that be nice?

Its not about what you think is right, its about "Justice for all", not just the moral majority.

Who are these anti-gay groups???

Sorry.....but I don't approve,but don't keep up or join.

The strictly civil unions for all and let the religions set their own standards bit works for me....after all ,I disagree with a lot of them already;)

Who are these anti-gay groups???

Well, my state just passed a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting gay marriage, civil unions, or "any other condition which is substantially equivalent to marriage" (as best as I can recall the specific language).

Frankly, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the well-funded groups who successfully led the campaign for this amendment at least claimed to be doing so based on their religion.

Archived