Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dave Grohl vs Kurt Cobain

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Cool beans. I think that both bands are decent. I am proud of Grohl for picking up the pieces, learning a new instrument and hitting the road. One thing I do not like about the Foos though is their concert setup. I saw them open at Nissan for the Chili Peppers years ago. Their sound system stunk to high heaven. I was very disappointed. The Peppers rocked the house and sounded as good as ever.

Grohl lives and records his albums in Mt. Vernon. He uses his grammy as a door stop. Very cool. It's nice that he has a tie to the DC area. Our music scene is pretty barren compared to cities like Seattle.

we actually hung out with him at the black cat one night. all the fighters were there because they were on a break i think and they were just hanging out like normal dudes. they actually got on stage and dave said "ok, well play our hits and then well just play whatever you guys yell out". people were yelling out **** like "bennie and the jets" "night fever" and random crazy stuff...they actually played it all.

dave always seemed like a down to earth dude and when i shook his hand he was really cool. taylor is just like him...never dug on pat smear though.

I think I am telling you that you have the reading comprehension and logical argument skills of a toddler. I think I am telling you that you have repeatedly proven your sever lacking of mental fortitude in this thread. I am saying that in this thread, you have said some true things, and some things that you are 100% talking out of your ass about.

I dont give a **** about Nirvana or how much you like them. I like arguing with people and I just handed your ass to you. Thats all I care about.

You need to get a job, move out of your mother's basement, comb your hair, buy cologne, and GET A GIRLFRIEND. Who cares... you're the King of ExtremeSkins!! Wooo hoooo! :saber:

we actually hung out with him at the black cat one night. all the fighters were there because they were on a break i think and they were just hanging out like normal dudes. they actually got on stage and dave said "ok, well play our hits and then well just play whatever you guys yell out". people were yelling out **** like "bennie and the jets" "night fever" and random crazy stuff...they actually played it all.

dave always seemed like a down to earth dude and when i shook his hand he was really cool. taylor is just like him...never dug on pat smear though.

He does covers like nobody else. They are regular dudes. I am not sure if I've met Dave before because it would've been at a party and much drinking would have taken place. His face always looked familiar to me though and weirdly that unusual smile. I'm really happy that he's a feather in the cap of the DC area. Bet he's a Skins fan too.

You need to get a job, move out of your mother's basement, comb your hair, buy cologne, and GET A GIRLFRIEND. Who cares... you're the King of ExtremeSkins!! Wooo hoooo! :saber:

Nobody cares, that is the point. I wasn't posting back and forth with Mike to impress anyone, I was doing it because it was fun for me to try and prove him wrong. Just like Mikes hobby is following Nirvana, mine is arguing on the internet.

I learned a bunch of cool stuff about Grohl and Foo from this thread, which is pertinent to me because I enjoy Foo Fighters. The things I learned about Nirvana will be useful in musical discussions in the future, I'm sure of it.

edit: and I live in my own place thanks, just graduated and living the life of a young professional, its pretty fun.. I like living 3 blocks from like 10+ bars.

The beginning of this article that I was forced to find to prove you wrong (:cool2:) had some good insight on the personalities of Grohl/Smear

http://www.fooarchive.com/features/guitarworld.htm

You will probably understand the lingo a lot more considering you follow the genre and Nirvana so much.

He does covers like nobody else. They are regular dudes. I am not sure if I've met Dave before because it would've been at a party and much drinking would have taken place. His face always looked familiar to me though and weirdly that unusual smile. I'm really happy that he's a feather in the cap of the DC area. Bet he's a Skins fan too.

I bet he is too.

Remember when they did the PSA on MTV in favor of smoking?

him and taylor were both on there puffing away saying how cool smoking was and how people just try to bring you down but that smoking is the best. it had me rolling..

I always think of this when I think of Grohl covers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igLVEvvxmSs&feature=related

edit: and I live in my own place thanks, just graduated and living the life of a young professional, its pretty fun.. I like living 3 blocks from like 10+ bars.

Sounds like Arlington to me. Good for you, enjoy life now and don't get tied down to one female until you are at least thirty. (Friendly advice.) You seem to have a need to be dominant and that comes from deeply felt insecurity amigo. The good thing is that deeply felt insecurity is what drives all great athletes, artists, and people who accomplish anything in life. So, we expect greatness from you Padwan! :saber:

Sounds like Arlington to me. Good for you, enjoy life now and don't get tied down to one female until you are at least thirty. (Friendly advice.) You seem to have a need to be dominant and that comes from deeply felt insecurity amigo. The good thing is that deeply felt insecurity is what drives all great athletes, artists, and people who accomplish anything in life. So, we expect greatness from you Padwan! :saber:

I live in Federal Hill a downtown Baltimore neighborhood bordering the harbor.

And funny, when I was a nerd in my moms basement your advice was to get a girlfriend. Now your advice is to not get tied down? :evilg:

I'm surprised there were so many votes for Grohl. I like Dave and all, but Nirvana is considerably more significant as a band. For all the talk about how AIC, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam were better, none of those bands were put in the National Recording Registry as voted by the Library of Congress.

The National Recording Registry is a list of sound recordings that "are culturally, historically, or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States." The registry was established by the National Recording Preservation Act of 2000,[1] which created the National Recording Preservation Board, whose members are appointed by the Librarian of Congress.

Nevermind was voted in and it shares that honor with such Albums as Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, Are you Experienced by Jimmy Hendrix and Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen.

Nirvana was 100% Kurt. The music, the lyrics, the themes, the attitude towards stardom. I think his suicide turns a lot of people off, but for some of you to attribute his popularity or his critical acclaim to him killing himself, you're way off the mark. Cobain was recognized right away as a gifted songwriter with a knack for coming up with catchy hooks that came across not only in the grunge rock of Smells like Teen Spirit, but also in the more punk offerings like Tourettes, Very Ape, or Breed. He took 70's rock and punk music added a pop quality to it. Dave does kind of the same thing, but his bed of music is a lot less abrasive.

And sure Kurt wasn't a great guitar player or a polished singer, but if you watch his Unplugged session, you can't deny that he knows how to put it all together. He took several covers and completely transformed them into something all his own. He had a quality to his voice that conveyed a lot of pain and emotion. I don't think Grohl has that. At least it doesn't come across to me.

Anyway. I'm not here to convince anyone otherwise. I just found it surprising that so many votes went to Dave. To each their own.

I live in Federal Hill a downtown Baltimore neighborhood bordering the harbor.

And funny, when I was a nerd in my moms basement your advice was to get a girlfriend. Now your advice is to not get tied down? :evilg:

Yes, I reassessed you. I surmised you aren't a virgin in other words. You aren't that far away from mom's basement so no backsliding ok? Baltimore is amazing. Whenever I'm in town it's the Cat's Eye (older crowd) or the Power Station. Restaurants are fantastic there, people are extremely cool, not as pretentious as DC. You are doing it right in the right place.

I'm surprised there were so many votes for Grohl. I like Dave and all, but Nirvana is considerably more significant as a band. For all the talk about how AIC, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam were better, none of those bands were put in the National Recording Registry as voted by the Library of Congress.

Nevermind was voted in and it shares that honor with such Albums as Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, Are you Experienced by Jimmy Hendrix and Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen.

Nirvana was 100% Kurt. The music, the lyrics, the themes, the attitude towards stardom. I think his suicide turns a lot of people off, but for some of you to attribute his popularity or his critical acclaim to him killing himself, you're way off the mark. Cobain was recognized right away as a gifted songwriter with a knack for coming up with catchy hooks that came across not only in the grunge rock of Smells like Teen Spirit, but also in the more punk offerings like Tourettes, Very Ape, or Breed. He took 70's rock and punk music added a pop quality to it. Dave does kind of the same thing, but his bed of music is a lot less abrasive.

And sure Kurt wasn't a great guitar player or a polished singer, but if you watch his Unplugged session, you can't deny that he knows how to put it all together. He took several covers and completely transformed them into something all his own. He had a quality to his voice that conveyed a lot of pain and emotion. I don't think Grohl has that. At least it doesn't come across to me.

Anyway. I'm not here to convince anyone otherwise. I just found it surprising that so many votes went to Dave. To each their own.

I think that Dave is just a more likable person with more albums to his credit and Kurt had a short career and was harder to deal with. Nirvana is unquestionably the real deal culturally whereas the Foos are more of an arena rock band.

I heard a recording of Cobain reading poetry when he was in his mid-teens at some live gathering. They called him "little Kurt Cobain" or something endearing like that. He had talent for sure. He stared into the abyss though and it burned him badly. I think Dave always kept a sense of humor and it enabled him to survive and prosper. He's an intense person who takes music very seriously. That's why he has grammys.

I need to grow up because I don't think Cobain has that much talent?

Anyone who thinks Cobain didn't have talent doesn't know anything about music. Seriously. You want to argue about suicide? Be my guest. Music? Not so much. You sound pretty stupid saying the above line.

It's not band vs. band.

It's musician vs. musician.

Overall, Grohl.

Like I said... I haven't liked much of what Grohl has done since Nirvana was broken apart. I respect Grohl as a musician and a person but I think in his short time Cobain was much more influential.

Say what you will... Cobain changed music in the early 90's. Grohl just went with it with his musical talents.

I choose Dave, but Kurt just had something about him. Some say that he wasn't good, but he was. His lyrics were great, and his sound was new and awsome. Sound Garden, Pearl Jam were not grunge(whatever grunge was) Alice in Chains was closer than SG and PJ. Anyhow, The Fab Fighters of Foo have put out great songs over the past 14 or so years. Dave was better in the long run, but Kurts run wasn't too long. So it's not a great evaluation. We don't know how much influance Dave had in Nirvana, from what I know it wasn't too much other than drums. I still pick Dave, but Kurt was great when he was around.

STB21, can you name a few please? Just curious. The FF/ Dave is just as talented as almost anyone, if not more. Would like to hear who has "more" BTW you can't go with a different genera of music. Apples to oranges.

On a side note, do people base this off opinion(who they like) or can you differentiate what is good or bad? there are somethings I can't stand to listen to, but have to say it is great music. Classical/orchastras for example.

So it's like 3:30am for most of you or friggin too late but I'm up and two of my favorites have been mentioned...

Has anyone considered this to be a McCartney/Lennon type discussion?

First my cut & dry: Kurt is the most talented in a raw sense. Dave is a much more well-rounded talent.

Like Lennon, Kurt was able to cut to the quick in addressing the most deep/poetic aspects of being human. He was visceral and blue-collar in his lyrical and musical (theory, etc.) choices. You either understood his music or you didn't, and it seemed like he wasn't interested in the listener's perspective/opinion. He was an artist first and foremost: playing the guitar and singing seemed secondary to the message.

Dave and Foo Fighters always struck me as easy to listen to, and simple in a very comforting way. He is an extremely versatile musician and clever lyricist. Musically, he does not take many risks, and his vocals are at best solid. The one place in his artistic instrument I find to be as raw as Kurt's is in his drumming. In this he is as undeniable a beast as John Bonham.

MY ANSWER TO THE POLL WAS COBAIN. But that is only because I read it as RAW TALENT. Like the type who can't tie his shoes but can make me cry because his access to his deepest parts makes me think about mine.

I talked for a couple hours at the 9:30 club to Ian Asbury the lead singer of the Cult. He had just gotten out of rehab (and had a beer in his hand.) He told me and my friends that he burned all of his celebrity bling including platinum records because he hated fame. Cobain idolized Asbury and they were friends. Asbury was already on this anti-fame kick when they hung out together. I strongly suspect that he converted Cobain to his way of thinking and it really tortured Curt in addition to the other crazy factors that contributed to his suicide.
Hey man, you seem to know a little on the subject but I have never heard anyone say that Kurt Cobain idolized Ian Asbury. Where did you get that from?

Archived