Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Buffs

Yomar

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Start with ancient Rome and/or Greece. It lays the foundation for so much 'recent' history.

Its not early Rome, but I just started reading Josephus after seeing a show about him on TV ...very interested in first person accounts

Kilmer's right, but just to add, I am interested in several different times, particularly Hitler/Nazi Germany. I'm taking the advice of the board and reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

American History is much "newer" and there are many "remains" to be explored here close to home.

But I would love to visit England one day. The fact that the country is as old as it is amazes me.

My dad was a US history professor, it sucked when I asked him a simple question and would get a 1/2 hour answer.

Early American history is interesting and George Washington was a great person to study.

My dad recently gave me a great book on the battle of Stalingrad during WWII and it's pretty good. The book is simply titled "Stalingrad"

James Michener is always good for interesting fiction wrapped around historical events and places.

My personal favorite is Caribbean. Having studied Caribbean history in high school and college, I was most impressed with the research that Michener undertook in writing this book. Based on that, I took for granted the historical accuracy of the other Michener books I've read.

In no particular order:

The American Civil War

World War II

World War I

History of Great Britain - hard to specify which part, it's all fascinating to me

Ancient Greece

Ancient Rome

Ancient Egypt

American Revolution

All of these are excellent topics about which much has been written.

With an undergrad degree in French Lit, I probably know French history the best (Don't worry, I still hate the French...:silly: ).

I have to admit, I enjoy Jewish and Russian history the most, even though I'm a Scandanavian Gentile Capitalist. And yes, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is an excellent book.

Best book on 20th century history - Modern Times by Paul Johnson (although he was way too kind to Nixon and too harsh on JFK). His "History of the Jews" is also excellent. Birth of the Modern had some interesting stuff in it, but was a little too much info for me to get through it.

A somewhat dry read, but an excellent expose on the origins of the Middle Eastern conflicts - "A Peace to End All Peace."

I haven't got around to reading it yet, but Machiavelli's History of the Roman Empire is supposed to be a classic (not sure of the exact title).

"Romanovs: A Tragic Dynasty" was great. Which reminds me, anybody catch "Tsars" on the history channel? It was excellent.

My wife used to teach American History, so that's one area where she knows far more than I. I'll ask her what the best books are.

Will Durant also wrote an excellent collection of history books my father gave me for Christmas one year. I got through about 4 or 5 of them (There were about a dozen).

Originally posted by codeorama

Kilmer's right, but just to add, I am interested in several different times, particularly Hitler/Nazi Germany. I'm taking the advice of the board and reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

American History is much "newer" and there are many "remains" to be explored here close to home.

But I would love to visit England one day. The fact that the country is as old as it is amazes me.

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". great reading, I read that back in school for a term paper

Originally posted by bubba9497

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". great reading, I read that back in school for a term paper

Isn't that sad, you read it cause you had to, I'm reading it cause I want to...:doh:

To quote the famous poet Butthead... "If I wanted to read, I'd go to school..."

'Modern Times' is a very conservative book. No doubt many board regulars would love it. :)

One of my personal favorites is 'This is London.' Its basically selected transcripts of Edward Murrow's radio reports before and during the Battle for Britian.

I was an American History major in college, and I think my favorite era is the first half of the 20th century. The events leading up to WW1 through the end of WW2 is fascinating stuff. Europeans never cease to amaze me. :)

Other stuff I personally like: The Revolutionary Era; the founding fathers and the creation of the Constitution, 19th century British history; the story of the previous Superpower, and of course the Civil War ... full of great stuff.

I've done a lot of hhistory reading. Always been partial to the Civl War period and to the European Theater of WWII.

I've read both "The Rise and Fall ..." and "Stalingrad." Both are excellent.

Lately I have been continuing to read about 9/11. Can't seem to read enough about that for some reason. Just bought my 6th book on the subject.

Brave,

Read Holy War Inc.

Excellent book on Al Quaeda aka Binny and the Jerks

Henry - I agree Modern Times becomes ultra-conservative from JFK onwards - too much so even for my tastes at times. Still, his research into the 20s and 30s particularly regarding Harding and Coolidge vs Hoover and FDR is extremely enlightening, and I think his assessments/observations/criticisms vis a vis Nasser and ensuing trends among 3rd world nations towards nationalizing industrial policies is dead on.

Originally posted by Brave

I've done a lot of hhistory reading. Always been partial to the Civl War period and to the European Theater of WWII.

I've read both "The Rise and Fall ..." and "Stalingrad." Both are excellent.

Lately I have been continuing to read about 9/11. Can't seem to read enough about that for some reason. Just bought my 6th book on the subject.

Just curious, but what do the books that you are reading have to add to what the average person would know?

Originally posted by Brave

The day itself and everything immediately surrounding it, or the longer view of the history leading up to it, for example 20th century muslim fundamentalism?

I am fascinated by WWII. What a collection of interesting and significant personalities, both good and evil, walked the earth at that time. Huge deeds, huge egos, great stories, and the fate of the entire world at stake.

Think about it: Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini, Patton, Rommel, Mongomery, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Marshall, Yamamoto, De Gaulle, Goering, Himmler, Goebbels, Nimitz... it goes on and on.

I could read about it forever.

However, the best history book I have recently read is Dreadnaught, which involves the diplomacy and intrigue that lead to WWI.

I too prefer American History. I liked David McCullough's book "John Adams" and Edmund Morris' two books about Teddy Roosevelt entitled "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" and "Theodore Rex".

Since I don't have a lot of time to read (and not nearly enough time to post on ExtremeSkins), I subscribe to magazines "American History" and "America's Civil War". There are a lot of interesting articles in both, especially things I'd never even heard about before.

If you like the short version of all kinds of history, I would recommend "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into History". You're sure to get a good cross section there. Just beware of your legs falling asleep like mine always do when reading on the :toilet:

Originally posted by Yomar

The day itself and everything immediately surrounding it, or the longer view of the history leading up to it, for example 20th century muslim fundamentalism?

Mostly the events themselves and details about the victims (and terrorists) prior to 9/11.

Probably the most fascinating thing I have read (in various articles and books) is the in-depth details of the control tower personnel as they tracked the planes, were confused at first then realized something was wrong ... and then as the events started unfolding the true horror sunk in. Everyone from radar operators to the CEOs of the company. There was also a TV special of a similar nature.

Code: Basically just details is the only thing I would say there is to learn. No revelations as to the basic sequence of events for plot, etc. Just details and lots of personnel accounts, which I still find riveting even though I've read hundreds.

Riggo: Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

It's going to vary from individual to individual based on many factors.

For the broad sweep of history and conquest, I like reading about the Mongol sack of Asia and challenge to Western Europe.

For insanity, Russian history is terrific. Lots of looney, bloody leaders, both male and female.

Read Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August...it's about the events leading up to World War I and it's an incredible read.

Kurp made a good suggestion about reading Michener. But I prefer Centennial and The Source.

There's more than one dish at this feast.

Archived