Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wire (HBO)

BayouBrave86

i watched an episode and the detectives were cliche carictures [sp?] it just turned me off. same reason i don't like that show weeds. i think kevin neiland sucks at acting so i think the show blows.

if a show goes for realism then i expect it to be 100% real. otherwise, i'll suspend my disbelief.

firefly was probably my favorite show.

Wow...cliche is the last possible word to describe this show. :)

thats one of the top 5 scenes of the entire series, awesome.

i really like in season 1 the scene with bunk and mcnulty only using the F word.

also in one of the last episodes of season 3 when Stringer and Avon are at their highrise having drinks together overlooking the city, both of them knowing they had gone against the other, but still acting as if it were the old days. So powerful.

thats one of the top 5 scenes of the entire series, awesome.

i really like in season 1 the scene with bunk and mcnulty only using the F word.

also in one of the last episodes of season 3 when Stringer and Avon are at their highrise having drinks together overlooking the city, both of them knowing they had gone against the other, but still acting as if it were the old days. So powerful.

Definitely.

Another I'll add..when Michael pulls the gun on Snoop.."How my hair look Mike?"

i watched an episode and the detectives were cliche carictures [sp?] it just turned me off. same reason i don't like that show weeds. i think kevin neiland sucks at acting so i think the show blows.

if a show goes for realism then i expect it to be 100% real. otherwise, i'll suspend my disbelief.

firefly was probably my favorite show.

I have to laugh at this comment.

Considering the amount of actual homicide detectives in the cast combined with all of the detectives they paid to advise the cast and crew on how to make it as realistic as possible - perhaps the "cliche" you think about is closer to reality than you would think.

Also, the show rewards you for sticking through a few episodes - it takes more than one or two episodes to get hooked.

I'd highly recommend you give Season 1 another shot and watch 3-4 episodes before completely giving up - I'll definitely say your opinion completely contradicts what the vast majority think about the show.

Definitely.

Another I'll add..when Michael pulls the gun on Snoop.."How my hair look Mike?"

Snoop was a character, i kinda wish she had been in the show from the beginning.

Great, great scene. After that Michael is running solo against Marlo (takes Omars place). The scenes after that are great as well, when he leaves Bug and then drops off Dukie.

As for Snoop, she definetly is a great character. I think she plays it so well because thats her real life. She went to jail for killing a girl at the age of 14. Don't know if she would have fit earlier in the series. Her and Partlow team up to form the the most intimidating tandem I've ever seen.

Everything that happens between Micheal, Dukie and Bug after the Micheal and Snoop scene was some of the most riveting, emotional stuff on tv. "Man don't be sheadin no tears." Dukie talking to Mike about the ice cream truck from season 4 was all amazing, showing you how far all their lives had come in just 2 seasons.

I am starting to realize CCS doesnt really have an opinion..he just wants to say anything to get anyone in this thread riled up. "Cliche" is hardly a word used to describe one of the most realistic shows ever made..and then to top it off..his favorite show was "Firefly" lmao...While a good show, it couldn't hold The Wire's jock if it had 100 hands...

Move along....

Everything that happens between Micheal, Dukie and Bug after the Micheal and Snoop scene was some of the most riveting, emotional stuff on tv. "Man don't be sheadin no tears." Dukie talking to Mike about the ice cream truck from season 4 was all amazing, showing you how far all their lives had come in just 2 seasons.

one of the scenes i remember was when Mike was dropping Bug at his aunts house, and Dukie asks Mike if he remembers a year ago when they were doing typical kid type stuff and Mike honestly couldn't remember. So much changed in his life from one year to the next

2d0cubp.gif

wasn't rawls in a gay bar when they were lookin for omar on one episode? they never came back to that.

nothing more needed to be said. It explained why he was the way he was. A leader of a fraternity basically. It gets really macho and the guy is gay and therefore he feels some major inferiority complex so he goes over the top and becomes a dick.

hard to believe he came out the best out of all them kids

Wallace would have come good. The scene were boudy or bowdy or however you say his name and poot have to kill wallace is some of the hardest things I have to watch.

I really though bug was gonna end up good, but he jsut went the way of Bubs, who I thought was a great character. Even when these kids have the best of intentions, the circumstances take them somewhere else. Those who land on their feet are the extremely lucky ones.

This show was too real for people who live in the burbs, like me. I have never witnessed nor been around or partially connected to any of this activity and, even though i know it exists, I can't really fathom what it is like to live in that neighborhood. People did not want to be confronted with this fierce a reality and so they turned away.

This all reminds me when the higher-ups in the dept chastise the leader of the precinct for legalizing drugs in his sector. They find it morally reprehenisible and yet fail to see what it has done for the community. just like real life, all of these moral objections made by people who don't know the first thing about the subject in the first place.

I actually thought it a crazy symbolic way of ending Omar's life. It portrayed the inner city life. It became real when the kid shot him, the cycle continues. It goes past Omar and the Kingpin's (Marlo/Avon etc) feud.

It would have been too simple to just have Omar live on like Robin Hood or get him killed by one of the Kingpins...it was brilliant if you ask me.

Ok now that you put it that way I can see that. I know that is what David intended. i just felt the character Omar was to good to go out with out a bang.

"Like business men, huh, I guess I'm just a gangster, and I want my corners".

"You are shooting dope without a needle"

Ok now that you put it that way I can see that. I know that is what David intended. i just felt the character Omar was to good to go out with out a bang.

"Like business men, huh, I guess I'm just a gangster, and I want my corners".

"You are shooting dope without a needle"

Omar was supposed to get killed off after like 5 episodes or something...but he was kept on after he was so good.

I actually thought it a crazy symbolic way of ending Omar's life. It portrayed the inner city life. It became real when the kid shot him, the cycle continues. It goes past Omar and the Kingpin's (Marlo/Avon etc) feud.

It would have been too simple to just have Omar live on like Robin Hood or get him killed by one of the Kingpins...it was brilliant if you ask me.

i always assumed Omar's death ultimately came about because he violated his own code. Throughout the entire series, Omar was probably the most principled character on The Wire. He never went against his word, which in part allowed him to survive as long as he did.

He gave his word to Bunk that he was gone for good, but then they got to Butchie which brought Omar back. They drew him back in, in the process causing him to break his word to Bunk.

thats where i think he went wrong. as long as he doesn't break his word, he stays alive.

i love that The Wire was never afraid to kill off a popular character (although they originally planned to kill Omar halfway through Season 1)

Omar was supposed to get killed off after like 5 episodes or something...but he was kept on after he was so good.

I know. I remember when I first saw the character and he was kissing on Brandon. I won't lie, I thought he needed to get killed just for that. See that is why I saw this was a life changing series. I can't say that I love homosexuals now, but my distain is not the same. And at the risk of getting suspended again I will type the best line of all uttered by the one and only Bunk....."I hope your happy now *****". I know Extremeskins is not fond of explatives.

i always assumed Omar's death ultimately came about because he violated his own code. Throughout the entire series, Omar was probably the most principled character on The Wire. He never went against his word, which in part allowed him to survive as long as he did.

He gave his word to Bunk that he was gone for good, but then they got to Butchie which brought Omar back. They drew him back in, in the process causing him to break his word to Bunk.

thats where i think he went wrong. as long as he doesn't break his word, he stays alive.

i love that The Wire was never afraid to kill off a popular character (although they originally planned to kill Omar halfway through Season 1)

Interesting thought, I never viewed Omar's death that way.

I don't recall the season but if you remember Bunk hated what Omar stood for at first. The fact that kids were running around having fake gun fights yelling "Omar" irked him. Then ironically Omar gets shot and killed by a little kid.

Very good insight. I never thought about it like this. But I hated that kid.

Interesting thought, I never viewed Omar's death that way.

I don't recall the season but if you remember Bunk hated what Omar stood for at first. The fact that kids were running around having fake gun fights yelling "Omar" irked him. Then ironically Omar gets shot and killed by a little kid.

i never thought about that irony

i gotta go back rewatch the series again. lol

How can you not love a show that uses a Tom Waits song in the intro.

BTW, this opening story of the kid stealing from the craps game..."you got to...this America, baby"

That's a true story.

Yep, straight from Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets - a must read for any fan of The Wire . . . you will recognize a lot of aspects of that book implemented into this series - and of course in Homicide the TV show as well.

I'm also pretty sure there is a scene in one of the later seasons where the kid that shoots Omar is either imitating Omar or saying he wants to be like Omar. (Different from the scene with the kids reenacting the shootout mentioned earlier) Making it even more ironic that he actually is the one to kill Omar.

Archived