Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: WEEkly Round-up: Obligatory Cutler Stuff and Free AGent Wrap

x96bryan10

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/03/weekly_round-up_obligatory_cut.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Weekly Round-Up: Obligatory Cutler Stuff, Free Agent Wrap, Etc.

Things have certainly slowed down, but wanted to address two of the topics that seem to be on your collective minds before the weekend. So here goes:

The Jay Cutler Speculation: We continue to hear nothing tangible about this "trade" whatsoever. Vinny Cerrato has denied it up and down, not just to the media but to football people around the league. He's also denied it to agents for some Redskins players, according to league sources, some of whom could be potentially directly affected by the alleged swap(s). It's one thing to be less that truthful with the media and fans, and quite another to do so with people you hope to maintain an ongoing business relationship with.

Make no mistake, there was some chatter going around the league earlier this week, unsubstantiated talk and not backed up by fact (the kind of gosspi that is a part of any business/corporation/league), that the Skins had a thing for the Denver QB. But it's quite another to report the inner workings of alleged three-way blockbuster deals as if they are potentially imminent. And, again, fitting a guy like Cutler under the cap, and absorbing massive cap hits from dealing guys like Chris Cooley, at a time when you only have the space to offer vet minimum deals for potential starters, is still something that seems impossible and render such deals as nonstarters.

Dwindling Free Agent Options: Yes thee are holes to fill, but the options are limited. OT Elton Brown, a player the Skins flirted with, re-signed in Arizona this week, and unless they wait on an injured veteran like Mark Tauscher, they may have to address this in the draft. The Skins have made no contact on former Pro Bowl OT Orlando Pace, according to league sources, and, again, have very little wiggle room with the cap.

Also, to that end, I get a ton of emails about WR like Torry Holt and D.J. Hackett - the Redskins have not expressed interest in any of the receivers out there, these two included, and the word inside Redskins Park is that the team's budget at that position is set (dangerous gamble there, with Devin Thomas exhibiting knucklehead tendencies as a rookie and Malcolm Kelly trying to recover from yet another knee surgery). I expect DE Phillip Daniels to re-sign at some point, and LB Khary Campbell may not have any other options, either. And in that case OT and LB would be vital spots in the draft (to say nothing of what will be an ongoing dearth of young ends with every-down potential).

Also, DTs Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery had not signed their offer sheets as of last night. Both have plenty of time to do so, and it makes sense to keep options open should another team fancy them. In the end, though, I figure both of them are back here one-year deals.

Nothing really new here just a wrap up of everything people have been talking baout all week

Course, what JLC doesn't mention is that there probably will be a second wave of FAs after the draft as some teams clear some players out after they find out what players that they want to keep. Granted, most of those players are not going to be prime players, but they can be good role players.

I expect, tho, that a lot of focus is going to be filling those needs in the draft. I expect that Vinny will try to find ways to increase the number of draft picks from the projected 5 that we are likely to have.

Honestly i believe most agents and some players use the Redskins as a kind of spring board to raise the interest of other teams...Because once they really are involved if Snyder wants him usually he gets them...Using the "Redskins are involved"will likely get other teams on point and speed up whatever it is they are likely to offer.

Dwindling Free Agent Options: Yes thee are holes to fill, but the options are limited. OT Elton Brown, a player the Skins flirted with, re-signed in Arizona this week, and unless they wait on an injured veteran like Mark Tauscher, they may have to address this in the draft. The Skins have made no contact on former Pro Bowl OT Orlando Pace, according to league sources, and, again, have very little wiggle room with the cap.

Also, to that end, I get a ton of emails about WR like Torry Holt and D.J. Hackett - the Redskins have not expressed interest in any of the receivers out there, these two included, and the word inside Redskins Park is that the team's budget at that position is set (dangerous gamble there, with Devin Thomas exhibiting knucklehead tendencies as a rookie and Malcolm Kelly trying to recover from yet another knee surgery). I expect DE Phillip Daniels to re-sign at some point, and LB Khary Campbell may not have any other options, either. And in that case OT and LB would be vital spots in the draft (to say nothing of what will be an ongoing dearth of young ends with every-down potential).

I'm confused. We have holes and we aren't contacting current FAs at all? Are we waiting for prices to drop or are we simply not interested in getting better? Yes, like everybody else around here I want to get younger BUT with our only day one picks being in the first and third round it's not realistic to expect to fill these all of these glaring holes through the draft.

What are the odds we lose a potential starter in training camp and Vinny trades away a first or second 2010 draft pick away for a bum?

Wow ....when you consider we took a 5th and 6th round draft pick for dt and turned them into 2 starters on the 4th ranked d in the league that is pretty good ....i'm so surprised no team has offered either of them anything ....Some teams out there cant stop the run to save their lives .....Just goes to show you its not all about talent when it comes to getting paid its about PR to ....:(

I'm confused. We have holes and we aren't contacting current FAs at all? Are we waiting for prices to drop or are we simply not interested in getting better? Yes, like everybody else around here I want to get younger BUT with our only day one picks being in the first and third round it's not realistic to expect to fill these all of these glaring holes through the draft.

What are the odds we lose a potential starter in training camp and Vinny trades away a first or second 2010 draft pick away for a bum?

Dock didn't fill a hole and was not a FA?

I'm surprised the FO didn't make a stronger push to sign E. Brown. He would have been a good depth player and spot starter.

Aside from that, I think the FO has taken an aggressive approach to FA, signing Haynesworth and Dockery away from their former teams in addition to resigning Hall. $ are limited now, though.

That is what the signing of Haynesworth and Hall do. No money left to sign anyone of any value.

No depth and now huges holes in starting positions. And to think we can solve NEEDS in the draft, is ridiculous. Drafted players have no gaurentuee they will work and no past performance in the NFL. That is why using the draft for needs is stupid.

Day One picks are only 1st and 2nd round, I think this will be the 3rd year since it changed.FYI

If Cooley gets traded to any team for any player, I'd be ready to burn some **** down. Cutler has played well in his career, but has also been completely full of himself. If this FO could actually learn that draft picks are important and trading high draft picks for aging Vets is just plain stupid, we could draft our own Jay Cutler and maybe he wouldn't be such a whiny dip ****! Plus I think we have 2 young QB's on our roster that might actually turn into good QB's. If JC doesn't show up this year then give Colt his chance.

Archived