Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drafttek.com: Good News in DC…The Coach is Zorny for Discipline (M.E.T.)

3 Rings

Enjoy...

Good News in DC…The Coach is Zorny for Discipline

Filed under: Uncategorized — Draft Tek Draft Blog @ 2:34 am

March 3, 2009 - Scott Lilliston, Senior Writer/Analyst www.drafttek.com

Lost amongst all the media ripping, after the Redskins free agency haul, was quite an interesting story. Though the free agent windfall was spun in its usual anti-Skins fashion, Skins fans who have followed their team for more than a few years had to perk their ears up just a bit.

Defensive end Jason Taylor was cut this week after being with the team for only one season. Pundits immediately pounced on Washington for cutting Taylor after giving up two draft picks to retain his services and getting minimal production from him. Those pundits forgot that on the first day of training camp last summer, two of the Skins top 4 DE’s went down with season ending injuries. Simple supply and demand dictated to the Redskins who brought in the best (or so they thought) talent at the position with the means they had available.

Lost in the shuffle of all the on-air hoopla was the ”why” Taylor was cut and it is the “why” that should make Skins fans smile.

As it turns out Head Coach Jim Zorn, who had an eye on Taylor, requested that he work out with team trainers during the offseason. Taylor missed 3 games last year and dropped dramatically in tackles, sacks, etc, from his 2007 numbers. Zorn spoke to his coaches and identified how they wanted to handle the player they compensated so highly to make sure Taylor brought his level of play back up to par.

Zorn and co., while attempting to negotiate Taylor’s contract, wanted a $500,000 clause thrown into the mix. Taylor would not get the half million if he did not work out with the team in the offseason. Taylor declined…and it’s the next part that sent the message to everyone on the team.

…they cut Jason Taylor.

You want the other guys on the roster to get a wake-up call? Toss out Jason Taylor on his ear for what amounts to a hill of beans in NFL compensation. I think they got the message.

One other thing to think about here is that it is very evident that Taylor’s heart is not in it these days and Redskins fans should thank the brass for not getting duped out of another year long contract.

Greg Blache, the Redskins Head Coach in charge of defense had to be licking his chops as he was about to line up Taylor next to newly acquired DT Albert Haynesworth. Taylor would likely see nothing but one-on-one blocking for just about the entire season, yet he couldn’t bring himself to put forth the effort to work out in the offseason in DC? I’m afraid you tipped your hand there, Mr. Taylor….and Zorn trumped you.

I’m betting the rest of the roster is playing their cards a little closer to the vest.

Alex Buzbee was our #2 DE?* What a terrible article... Good scouts should know when a player is on the decline. There's a reason Parcells was trying to pawn off Taylor.

*Clearly a mistake in reading the article. However, it makes zero difference with regards to the point I tried to convey. We didn't trade for Taylor because our fourth (arguably our 5th) DE went down to injury. This article is very one-sided and fails to mention that JT was told there would be no renegotiations upon his arrival in DC. When he refused to come in for workouts to be rewarded in his contract, he was released. There was a serious lack of good faith on the part of the Redskins organization.

Alex Buzbee was our #2 DE? What a terrible article... Good scouts should know when a player is on the decline. There's a reason Parcells was trying to pawn off Taylor.

Go read the article again. You missed the entire point and somehow got the notion that Buzbee was our #2 DE.

Go read the article again. You missed the entire point and somehow got the notion that Buzbee was our #2 DE.

Exactly!!!! lol

Its true that Zorn sent a message to the rest of the team and it is a positive that has been severely overlooked by the media. Can we get some objective analysis of the Redskins just once. Why are they constantly bashing us? Anyways, good job Zorn. We're pulling for you.....gotta win though or your out!:D

Alex Buzbee was our #2 DE? What a terrible article... Good scouts should know when a player is on the decline. There's a reason Parcells was trying to pawn off Taylor.

Since when did saying Buzbee and Daniels were "two of the top 4 DEs" on the team mean that Buzbee was the #2 DE? lol :doh:...

Sometimes we react too quickly to criticize around here...

I wish Chris Wilson showed a hair of run stopping ability.

Because personally I like what he brings in pass rushing situations.

depending on the draft they could always bring Evans back for run downs and see what Wilson has on pass downs. Haynesworth should make everyones job on the line easier and create favorable matchups for lesser known players.

And, yeah, one thing I did think about was what message this sends to the rest of the team, and if it was a good one...I think it is, and for many of the reasons listed above.

I also remember the comments last offseason about how Jason Taylor was probably not in the best football shape and stuff about his not taking the offseason seriously enough, etc, etc. Maybe Vinny and Zorn saw that to be truth, and maybe it had an effect on how injured he became and how ineffective he turned out to be. If so, I can see them saying "Sorry, but you're gonna have to commit to this football team a lot more this offseason."

Hopefully we get Chris Wilson more involved on 3rd down pass rushing this year. I'm praying for a good season so Snyder doesn't fire Zorn. We need continuity at the coaching positions. We have had continuity on the defensive side of the ball basically since 2004 and look what our defense has accomplished.

Keep Zorn and eventually our offense will catch up.

It said 2 of our top 4 defensive ends. I'm guessing that would be Carter - 1, Daniels - 2, Evans - 3, and Buzbee - 4. I don't know where Wilson fits in. Maybe we will see something from James this year.

You're right. This is what happens with little to no sleep. Regardless, it's still a weak article. I also find it funny that I'm being panned for reacting too quickly. At least it didn't cost the team a second round pick.

Something else that got lost in the shuffle: the 2 DE's we lost were LE's (meaning they line up over the RT), and we proceeded to go out and trade for a guy who never played LE.

Cutting him was a good move; not trading for him in the first place would have been the right move.

Score one for the Tuna.... :(

It's hardly the first time dude has missed the point entriely. :D

You're right. This is what happens with little to no sleep. I also find it funny that I'm being panned for reacting too quickly.
You must have regular difficulty sleeping. You're not being panned for reacting too quickly, you're being panned for appearing clueless, something not all that new for you. ;)

Honestly... my favorite move this entire offseason so far has been this one. Yes, over Haynesworth.

We may have cut him because we wanted to in the first place (due to his affect on the cap), but I just don't get that feeling and I won't let myself speculate. The fact is we want a commitment from newer players, and have shown that with all the new contracts. Jason should've been fine with it, he wasn't. It's awesome to see us take a stand like that. This does more for the team then we can ever realize.

Yes there was a reason why Parcells was going to get rid of Taylor and it's called Dancing with the Stars.

I did think it was strange to call Buzbee one of out top four, but he was likely the fifth DE. So when Daniels went down he gets bumped into the top four.

If the skins had cut Portis b/c he wouldn't agree to a 1/2 mil fine for missing workouts to be added to an already existing contract, THEN I would believe that they were trying to send a message. Instead they cut a player that was forced into a position and didn't fit in the system, who is old, played only one year for the team (with little to no success b/c was injured a lot last & played out of position) and most importantly, was expensive. Don't see how that's sending a message.

Why would any player agree to add a fine into their contract? Even if they have EVERY intention of being at all of the workouts? That's like signing a contract with a mortgage company that stipulates a 4% late charge, and then 1 year later agreeing to the mortgage company asking you if you wouldn't mind signing a new contract which increases it to 10%, even though you've never had a late payment and never intend to. Maybe I'm missing something.

Another point lost in all this is that Taylor had no problem leaving his family for weeks last offseason to go to LA and train for "Dancing With the Stars", yet he can't bring himself to leave them when it's for football training on the east coast?

Rather than Bill Parcells being some kind of prophet (like some seem to credit him with), the reason Parcells wanted to get rid of him was exactly what was being published last offseason, he was upset with Taylor for this exact same thing the Redskins are now. Nothing in Taylor's injury history or tackle/sack numbers suggested he would have such a bad season in Washington.

I also think the "wrong system" excuse is very overblown. While he was asked to play the run more than in the past, how many 3rd downs did the guy play? I watched him most of the year and I never saw him double-teamed. 3.5 sacks? He should have had more.

I don't know where Wilson fits in. Maybe we will see something from James this year.
I really hope Wilson can make a push to start ( If we don't get Orakpo). Erasmus James was released mid season saw it on Redskins nation a while back.

If the skins had cut Portis b/c he wouldn't agree to a 1/2 mil fine for missing workouts to be added to an already existing contract, THEN I would believe that they were trying to send a message. Instead they cut a player that was forced into a position and didn't fit in the system, who is old, played only one year for the team (with little to no success b/c was injured a lot last & played out of position) and most importantly, was expensive. Don't see how that's sending a message.

Why would any player agree to add a fine into their contract? Even if they have EVERY intention of being at all of the workouts? That's like signing a contract with a mortgage company that stipulates a 4% late charge, and then 1 year later agreeing to the mortgage company asking you if you wouldn't mind signing a new contract which increases it to 10%, even though you've never had a late payment and never intend to. Maybe I'm missing something.

It wasn't a "fine" that they were trying to add into the contract.

They were trying to add a 500,000 roster/workout bonus for showing up for OTA's. That had nothing to do with his already 8.5M that he would be collecting. So, yes you are missing something

There not panning out part is completley irrelvent to this conversation. yes, Jason Taylor didn't work out in our scheme. We all know that, the redskins know that, Jason Taylor knows that, and hopefully we can move on from of the belly aching with him no longer on the roster.

My issue with Jason Taylor is that he's basically telling the rest of the league (now that he is unemployed) that he wants to show up on HIS terms.

If I were an organization I'd be very weary at this point. How can you expect this guy to come in a learn a scheme when he doesn't want to show up until July?

Exactly!!!! lol

Its true that Zorn sent a message to the rest of the team and it is a positive that has been severely overlooked by the media. Can we get some objective analysis of the Redskins just once. Why are they constantly bashing us? Anyways, good job Zorn. We're pulling for you.....gotta win though or your out!:D

This article is about as subjective as anything you would dismiss as being "just another hater"... just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

IMO:

Jason Taylor still has the potential to wreak havoc in opposing backfields and he knows it. But the problem is that he doesnt have that "passion" for the game any more. While he knows within himslf that he can still play the game, he also realizes that he's on the downside of his football career. Now he's startin to weigh other options (such as dancing, acting, etc). I also believe that Taylor is at the point in his life where he wants to spend as much time as possible with his family, mostly his children...

...or it could be that he is startin to let all the fame & fortune get to his head and he's turnin into a prima donna....

Watevr the case may be, he's not here nemore so we dnt hav to worry bout it

What did Taylor have like 13 sacks the season before, I could be wrong on that but I know it was over 10, and the season before that he was the defensive player of the year -- yeah so we clearly went after an obvious terrible player!

He got hurt, stuff happens. The D FA's arguably have been the core of a D that's been top ten, 4 out of the last 5 years:

C. Griffin

L. Fletcher

P. Daniels

R. Wynn

S. Springs

M. Washington

R. Clark, D. Evans, A. Pierce if I recall were undrafted FA's. The Skins have made mistakes on D, but in the last 5 years its not as if every FA move they've made has been dumb.

As for the draft: S. Taylor, L. Landry, C. Horton, Montgomry, Golston, C Rogers.

You can argue the problems with Fa and the draft are mostly on the offensive side of the ball. Randle El, Duckett, Lloyd, Patten, the late round o line draft picks haven't worked out, etc. Where we have struck gold here and there with late round D picks.

Archived