Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Religious affiliation

Being that we have started a Religion 4 debate on a separate thread, I was curious as to the religious affiliation of Extremeskin members or posters.

As most of the regulars know, I had been a Baptist most of my life, but after much research became an agnostic about 10 years ago.

If anyone feels uncomfortable acknowledging their religious affiliation -- although I don’t know why they should -- they can vote and remain anonymous. Because there are only a maximum of 10 options on a poll, all religions could not possibly be listed. If your religion is one that was left out, feel free to name your religion in your post, if you so desire.

NOTE: This is strictly a poll and all religious posts will continue back on Religion 4. I couldn't put this poll on the Religion 4 thread, because that thread started out with another poll.

This should be interesting, if we get a lot of participation. :)

I promise... I promise.... this is my 2nd and last poll. :laugh:

I grew up southern baptist and my dad was a deacon in the church... then our pastor left his wife and kids for a ho half his age that was a church member. Can't say I've been back to church since then.

I have several thoughts on religion.

First, I think the Bible has a lot of truth in it that can be explained by science and history, however, I don't think it can be taken literally because of the translation. For example... who's to say seven days wasn't thousands of years. 2 great floods, 2 ice ages (and ice melting resulting in floods).

In general, I have a problem with organized religion. It's very hypocritical. Most of the people I work with are always going to church and quoting prayers but they are by far the worst humans you can imagine. They are always backstabbing each other and holding grudges against our employees ( which benefits me because I naturally become "the good one"). It amazes me that these people can call themselves christians.

I would also be open to some "new age" ideas, depending on what they are...:D

I am a Catholic. Sometimes I will go to church with my wife and my daughter and they belong to United Methodist.

I don't regularly attend either service.

I kind of felt that what was in your heart and what kind of person you are, are more important than sitting in a church just waiting for them to pass the collection plate around.

I know everthing is about money these days, but when I go to church, I want to be spiritually revived, not nickel and dimed to death.

But I will say this, the Catholics throw the best church picnics:pint: :cheers:

What's my religion?

Well, I see lighting bolts from time to time which clearly demonstrates the fact that Zeus is alive and well. Haven't seen much action from the other gods lately so Zeus is the man for the time being.

Wait, Apollo is still working because the sun comes up everyday so he can be god # 2.

Volcanoes still erupt so the Hawaiian goddess Pele is certainly still with us so she can be co-god #2.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

So Tex....... why didn't you vote "other" then? After all this is supposed to be a scientific poll. :laugh:

Your right inmate, I should have voted that way. I guess the poll is now officially skewed. Sorry.

agnostic, with conflicting thoughts. i have a hard time with organized religion.

religion, historically, has been used to explain the unknown. as science progresses, the unknown becomes known and religion changes. example, zeus. sorry tex, he has nothing to do with lightning/thunder. but the greeks believed in him as fully as christians believe in jesus and company.

on the other hand, life is so complex that i have a hard time grasping that evolution (as we understand it now) could account for it. as a medical student, i studied the human body in greater detail than i care to remember. there is so much that has to happen perfectly for conception to take place, for neurons to work, for nephrons to filter our blood. could random mutations over the course of 4 billion years account for all of this? keep in mind that a mutation has to occur in a significant stretch of DNA; that mutation must actually change somethings genetic expression, and the different expression of the gene must give a positive benefit. the percentage of mutations that fulfill all these requirements is damn small, and i'm not sure the math works with us as the end result.

in either case, god, if he/she exists, isn't going to care if you went to church or gave money to the church or said a zillion hail mary's. (s)he's going to check out what kind of person you are and go from there.

see, i told you i was mixed up about this.

It it weren't for Christians, I'd be a Christian.

~Mahatma Ghandi

I've always loved that line. In a rueful way, sure, but I agree with him. I've never found a problem with Christ or anything in the Bible. I've found myriad problems with people who filter what it says outside of "love God, love people."

But frankly, I have a problem finding sustained love for God and people outside of Christ. So I'm a Christian. But under these terms:

"The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God and commits suicide. It acknowledges that it is not equal to the whole of truth, that it legislates and tyrannizes over a village of God's empire, but it is not the universal immutable law. Every influx of atheism, of skepticism, is thus made useful as a mercury pill assaulting and removing a diseased religion, and making way for truth."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I love truth wherever I find it."

~John Wesley

Atheist here, although I don't like the negative, anti-religion connotations of the word. I don't care about how I got here, I don't care about why I'm here, and I really don't care about what will happen when I die-- but I fully respect the beliefs of others regarding these issues. Much like Om said in the other thread, I try to live my life in a manner that can withstand negative judgment by anyone who may choose to judge me.

They really need to come up with a different label than atheist for someone like me. Perhaps "nonbeliever" would be more descriptive and appropriate.

Im an Episcopalian. "All the Catholic, none of the guilt".

But I attend Catholic Church and am active in the Church. My wife and son are Catholic. I dont plan on converting though.

Im taking a class on Judaism right now. A historical rather than religious take. Fascinating.

Originally posted by Henry

Bhudda, I believe the term you are looking for is 'Secular Humanist.'

I just did a quick search of the term and came up with this...

Secular Humanism is a way of thinking and living that aims to bring out the best in people so that all people can have the best in life. Secular humanists reject supernatural and authoritarian beliefs. They affirm that we must take responsibility for our own lives and the communities and world in which we live. Secular humanism emphasizes reason and scientific inquiry, individual freedom and responsibility, human values and compassion, and the need for tolerance and cooperation.

That pretty much describes it. Thanks Henry!

I voted Catholic but could have easily voted agnostic or free thinker depending on my mood.

Perhaps there should be a two part poll.

What were you raised as and what are you currently.

Agnostic.

But I do 'entertain' beliefs similiar to Einstein, Sagan, others (Yeah...I know...the similarities stop there!) in that the more we learn about the miracle of our own existence and the complexity of the universe, its difficult not to conceive of a higher power of some kind. However, the belief we can comprehend, name, communicate with, and understand this creating force (whatever it might be) strikes me as unbelievably naive. If there is a higher power, I seriously doubt he's concerned about us in any tangible involved way. I prefer this view because I believe morality has no meaning if it is adhered to out of fear of the consequences. I've always thought the concept of heaven and hell put forth in the bible was clear proof that it was written by men, not God. The idea that the best incentive an all-powerful 'Creator' could come up to get us to behave is 'or else' does not sound very Godly to me, but it does sound a lot like how humankind operates. I'd prefer to believe I do whatever I do, make the decisions I do with free will, with the only ramifications personal ones.

If I had to pick an organized religion, I'd have to find a pack of Druids or Wickens to hang with. What can I say? I like trees and rocks, and the idea of prancing wildly naked under a full moon isn't entirely unappealing:silly:

Agnostic but I was raised Methodist. I do not subscribe to organized religion. I believe the Bible is a good history book and does teach some good values. Now my beliefs may be out there a little(or I've watched too many reruns of the X-Files) but who's to say that there hasn't been an alien presence on earth since the beginning of mankind and that mankind hasn't regenerated itself many times over. Is it totally out of the realm of possibility? Einstein once said " The 3rd World War will be fought with what I do not know, but the 4th World War will be fought with bows and arrows." How do we know this hasn't already happened? :?:

"Religion is the opiate of the masses"

Originally posted by Manasseh

Didn't realize I was one of the few "Christians" in the place. I'm Southern Baptist, although I hate the stereotypes most of you have already labeled me with as soon as you read that.

What church do you attend? My wife grew up in Tupelo and my family lived in Ocean Springs for a while (Dad retired at Biloxi).

Practicing Episcopalian. My wife's Catholic, but the local Episcopal church is so nice-and runs such a great school - that we've opted to go there rather than to the much larger and more impersonal local Catholic church. We don't go every Sunday, or even most Sundays, although I think we should go more.

I was raised and confirmed Episcopal, but my family later started and attending (and still does) a Presbyterian church because fo the people there and the quality of the youth group; my younger siblings (I'm the oldest) all participated heavily in that youth group.

I'm with (I think) PCS in that I'm Episcopal, but I'm not happy with how much they've been willing to sell their own doctrine short. I like the service as the formality helps me to honor God better, but that's very subjective. I can see how a mass would be too stuffy for some people. To me, the comfort level with a combination of the service, the congregation and the church doctrine is the most important thing, because if all three are there, then you'll be able to worship.

I would point out a couple of things to those who are disillusioned by the people in Church. God expects that kind of thing. That's the way people have always been. Read the Old Testament sometime, or the Pauline letters. They're filled with examples of human pettiness, shortcomings and even evil, and even in during the supposed pursuit of worship.

Also, consider the idea that one should 'let he who is sinless cast the first stone'. As with every other vocation in life - and I'm a lawyer so believe me I'm very familiar with this concept - you meet unpleasant, obnoxious, annoying, selfish, shallow, petty etc. people wherever you go. The point of church is not to avoid that stuff (although we hope that people are inspired there to try their best to elevate themselves and those around them) but to get along with people in spite of those things. Even if that's impossible in one place try another. Undoubtedly, there are people in every place who aren't enamored with you.

That's not only life, it's the life that God gave us here on earth.

My $.02.

Archived