Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Ticket Offer--Outrage!

rtandler

If you have a number on the season ticket waiting list that you think puts you close to getting seats, think again.

My son, who is on the waiting list, got an offer to buy season tickets in the mail today. It’s outrageous because he’s around number 40,000 on the waiting list. But it turns out that he could choose to buy his way up to the top of the list.

The offer is to join the Redskins Tailgate Club. For an initiation fee of $499 per seat and $114 for upper sidelines/corner seats and $99 for upper level end zone seats (probably $50 per game above face value), you get your tickets and access to the Tailgate Club, where you can fest on ribs, burgers, and dogs among Redskins cheerleaders and alumni.

Even though there are plenty of people with more money than brains around the DC area, I don’t know how many would be willing to plunk down nearly three grand for a pair of end zone seats (all you can eat ribs and the opportunity to rub elbows with the likes of Tony McGee and George Izo notwithstanding). But certainly some will. The outrage, of course, is that these people will be able to leap ahead of fans who have been waiting patiently for years to get season tickets--if they’re willing to pay the price.

My son can’t sell his place on the waiting list, nor can he sell his tickets for a premium if he should get them. But as long as the money is going to the Redskins, buying a place on the waiting list and paying well above face value for the tickets are just fine.

Club seats have been offered to fans on the waiting list for years and there’s no problem with that. But what the Redskins are doing is taking regular seats and, essentially, upgrading them to club seats. It seems extremely unfair to me.

As some of you know, I'm a big Snyder supporter. I have no problem with him trying to make all the money that he can. If people want to pay ridiculous prices for this tailgate club, that's fine, it's their money. But I draw the line at selling somebody else's place in line on the season ticket waiting list.

I've passed the details of the offer along to some of the local media that I know. Hopefully they'll shine some light on this outrageous scheme.

I cant really disagree with you Rich... I talked to a friend of the family who is one of the sales reps for the Skins. The price on the seats is not quite as bad as Club seats, but its damn close.

Now, I've said it many times that I really dont believe there are bad seats at FedEx... but to have the team charge scalpers prices for regular seats is obscene, not to mention what it does to everyone on the waiting list.

It's a catch 22, we want Snyder to put the best team out there. That costs money. He has to pay these players. I for one wouldn't spend the money for those tickets. Our tickets are expensive to begin with. You can't blame the man for trying to make some extra money, he always seems to put it right back into the team.

Originally posted by Superskins

It's a catch 22, we want Snyder to put the best team out there. That costs money. He has to pay these players. I for one wouldn't spend the money for those tickets. Our tickets are expensive to begin with. You can't blame the man for trying to make some extra money, he always seems to put it right back into the team.

If it was just a matter of making extra money, that's fine. I wouldn't have a problem if he charged $1,000 per game for this tailgate club. If enough people are willing to part with the money, that's the marketplace at work. If he wanted to start ticket prices at $200 for end zone nosebleeds and go up from there, fine.

But there something that is extremely unfair about messing with the waiting list. You shouldn't be able to buy your way up on it. Snyder might as well just auction off available seats to the highest bidder on Ebay.

Superskins... you make a good point about Snyder putting the cash back into the team. I feel lucky that we have an owner willing to put out the $$$ to make the team competitive.

Allowing those who want to 'jump in line' is reasonable when its luxury/club level seats... lord knows we pay through the nose for those seats and that priveledge..... but when its the regular season seats that are being offered for scalpers prices and subsequently bumping those waiting in line, that is whats bothering me. I feel like its a violation of trust that us fans have put in the team to give us all a fair shot at tickets.

I got an e-mail today offering an on-site parking pass...at FedEx-neighboring Jericho Church, if I have three or more season tickets. The price is $25 per game!!!:shootinth Well, I have two, but it says I can purchase more in my section but availability is limited. I may do this, but $25 to park is a pisser. Currently, I have no parking unless I want off-site.

"Great news!

As a benefit to you, our season ticket holders, The Redskins have reserved a select number of additional season tickets and great parking!

Enhance your game day experience with additional seats in your section and new permit parking spots located at Jericho Church, right next-door to FedExField! Season-ticket holders with three seats or more are eligible to purchase these close-by parking permits for the 2003 season.

If you have less than three season tickets, call us about locations in your section to add additional seats. Supplies are extremely limited, so purchase your season tickets by June 6 to take advantage of the new permit parking for the 2003 season at $25 per game ($250 per season)."

I also read where the Redskins are planning to add up to 6,000 seats in the lower level in anticipation of a Super Bowl bid. He is making extra money. He doesn't have to pluck four or five games worth of change out of one game.

Originally posted by gridironmike

If you have less than three season tickets, call us about locations in your section to add additional seats.

How much you wanna bet that to obtain the additional seats you will have to join the Redskins Tailgate Club?

rtandler said

The outrage, of course, is that these people will be able to leap ahead of fans who have been waiting patiently for years to get season tickets--if they’re willing to pay the price.

I mentioned this weeks ago here and was shocked at the lack of outrage, then. There should be 100,000+ people that are fried over this. The majority of folks that will do this are corporations. This is another case where Average Joe isn't wanted in that stadium.

I hadn't heard about this before this came in the mail today, 69 Yards. From what you said, I assume that they started this a while ago and have been working their way down the season ticket waiting list.

Hopefully, one of the beat writers that I sent the details to will pick up on it and fan the flames a bit.

Originally posted by rtandler

For an initiation fee of $499 per seat and $114 for upper sidelines/corner seats and $99 for upper level end zone seats (probably $50 per game above face value), you get your tickets and access to the Tailgate Club, where you can fest on ribs, burgers, and dogs among Redskins cheerleaders and alumni.

Whoa, for a second there I thought you said you can feast on Redskins cheerleaders. That would be a interesting proposition.

Beyond that...I see your point Rich. I'm buried on the waiting list myself, and don't want anyone leap-frogging me!

If I were on the waiting list for tix, I'd be d@mn steamed about this. It's bad enough that the wine and cheesers get the club level (wait a second, that's where my seats are) but to allow them to leapfrog the everyday loyal fans who would actually show up for the games and yell their fool heads off just sucks.

The Skins are right at the top of the NFL food chain in terms of their profitability. There's really no need for Danny boy to do this type of thing other than out and out greed.

TheSquire would have really frowned upon this type of thing. Ahhh, noble Squire, why did you ever leave us ??:(

Originally posted by rtandler

How much you wanna bet that to obtain the additional seats you will have to join the Redskins Tailgate Club?

Nope -- you can just add them. As I mentioned in more detail in another thread on the wait list, I just added two more. Which pushed back someone else on the wait list. Sorry, guys. It's definitely "rich get richer," although I think they have done that for many years.

rtandler said:

Hopefully, one of the beat writers that I sent the details to will pick up on it and fan the flames a bit.

I hope so, too, Rich. Good luck. I'm glad you picked up on it. Cuz, what Snyder doesn't seem to understand is that the butts he's putting in the seats these days frequently aren't attached to loyal fans. Often, they aren't even 'Skins fans at all. :shootinth

Frequent scenario: Let's say Megaglob Corp. has consultants come in from Texas....."Hey, Buckie, wanna go to the Cowboys game this week at the Fed?" There you go, two more 'pokes at the stadium. :puke:

A relative of mine frequently gives me Club Level seats. The neighbors in the seats to my left and directly behind are never the same, and rarely are even Redskins fans. This scheme of Snyder's will generate the same kind of "fans". Too bad. :(

Originally posted by gridironmike

Where are they going to add 6,000 seats in the lower section?

I don't know, but when I return to sitting in my lower end zone seats, I have a feeling I'll have to lose about 50 pounds if I want to fit into them.

Wow, almost 2 weeks between Snyder Bashing threads. A new record.

Jeff Lurie owns a nice team a couple hours north and he cant afford to pay players big signing bonuses. That's the part people forget. Yeah there is a salary cap, but the owner has to have the cash on hand to pay those signing bonuses up front. Even though the cap hit is spread they still get the cash at signing.

If you think it's shady, dont buy them. Or remove your name from the list. Just get's me closer.

Originally posted by 70Chip

Nope -- you can just add them. As I mentioned in more detail in another thread on the wait list, I just added two more. Which pushed back someone else on the wait list. Sorry, guys. It's definitely "rich get richer," although I think they have done that for many years.

According to the tickets the price of the ticket includes the Tailgate charge, however you do have to pay the original fee. I got it in the mail yesterday as well. I think everyone on the season ticket list will get these fliers.

You have to give the skins some credit, they are being clever in finding new ways to generate some revenue :) You guys were not complaining with all these huge contracts but are over these tickets.

If you have been waiting for a long time then just pony up and buy them, what is the big deal? The seats won't be great but they are seats.

I can't find any anger in me over this. At RFK perhaps, where we had 52,000 seats or whatever, I might get worked up. But, FedEx is the biggest stadium in pro football. Snyder has ADDED thousands of seats. If he wants to pull back some of those now for this, I don't think it's as terrible as you guys think. The Redskins generate incredible revenue for the man and he's certainly given that money back to the team and the fans, making the stadium better and trying to make the team better.

He's increased the stadium's capacity and people have come off the waiting list because of that. My guess is these seats are reserved, and depending on the number that buy in, the rest will be released into the pool. Again. I don't see what's wrong with doing this at a stadium our size.

Archived