Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll:Trading this Year's First Rounder for a First and Second Next Year..Would you?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We don't know where we will be either. It's not always about draft spot, it's about how well you scout and getting guys who can produce that others don't see the same potential in. Besides, crazy things happen in the draft. A month before the draft, Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly were talked about as possible top 15 picks going to the Bills and they both fell to the 2nd round.

Actually, it is very much about draft position. In 2002 we tried futilely to move up so we could take Dwight Freeney. Had no shot since we we were at 18, and couldn't find any takers. Ended up trading down to take Patrick Ramsey. Imagine how dominate our defense would have been with Freeney bending the edge and Champ and Smoot playing behind him. Well, we're at 13 now, and I'd rather draft a player like Oher, Monroe, Orakpo(who is comparable to Freeney) or Raji. Those guys aren't gonna fall into the latter half of the 1st round.

Its amazing to me how many people would be absolutely fleeced in making draft day trades, alomst 100. Its also amazing that more people dont like waffles. Mmmm, waffles.

Anyone who voted yes feel free to PM me, I've got this great bridge up in NYC I can let you have for a steal.

I'd do it if the trading partner was a team that is pretty much assured to be bad again next year, like Oakland or Detroit. I'd gamble that neither of these teams would make an Atlanta-like turnaround next season, because they won't. The difference in these teams and Atlanta is ownership and FO. They are perennially bad for a reason.

So yeah, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat with the right team. This does a number of things for us.

Assuming we don't do much in FA due to cap issues, and with no 1st or 2nd round draft pick, we'd be assured to be pretty awful next season. In the process, we get to let Campbell and Rogers play out the final year of their rookie contracts, and decide whether or not to resign them long-term.

With our awful record, and our trading partners awful record, we'll have the possibility of 2 top-5 picks in 2010 in both the first AND second round, along with the full allotment in other rounds. It should be one of the most QB-heavy drafts in a while in 2010, so if Campbell isn't our guy, we can possibly get one of the top 2 QB's in the draft, along with a top tackle.

Also due to our awful record in 09 Vinny and Zorn are no longer calling the shots and Cowher starts rebuilding the franchise from the inside out with multiple top draft picks at his disposal, meaning he'll be drafting lineman. Giggidy!

But Vinny would never do this because he has to win now to save his own ass, future be damned.

But hey, a guy can dream can't he?

I'd do it if the trading partner was a team that is pretty much assured to be bad again next year, like Oakland or Detroit. I'd gamble that neither of these teams would make an Atlanta-like turnaround next season, because they won't. The difference in these teams and Atlanta is ownership and FO. They are perennially bad for a reason.

So yeah, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat with the right team. This does a number of things for us.

Assuming we don't do much in FA due to cap issues, and with no 1st or 2nd round draft pick, we'd be assured to be pretty awful next season. In the process, we get to let Campbell and Rogers play out the final year of their rookie contracts, and decide whether or not to resign them long-term.

With our awful record, and our trading partners awful record, we'll have the possibility of 2 top-5 picks in 2010 in both the first AND second round, along with the full allotment in other rounds. It should be one of the most QB-heavy drafts in a while in 2010, so if Campbell isn't our guy, we can possibly get one of the top 2 QB's in the draft, along with a top tackle.

Also due to our awful record in 09 Vinny and Zorn are no longer calling the shots and Cowher starts rebuilding the franchise from the inside out with multiple top draft picks at his disposal, meaning he'll be drafting lineman. Giggidy!

But Vinny would never do this because he has to win now to save his own ass, future be damned.

But hey, a guy can dream can't he?

I could see Detroit actually making a trade like that because they already have two 1st round picks and need a lot of help on all sides of the ball, imagine what kind of draft they could have with three 1st rounders. I doubt they will but like you said, a guy can dream can't he? :cool:

Hey guys, Vinnie Ceratto here. Okay, here's the plan. I'm gonna milk that 13th pick for all its worth. I'll pick up three 2nd round picks and "BAM", just like that we're in business.

I'm gonna take 3 receivers with those picks because its proven that if you do that then you load up and score more so we can.....hold on..just a second...

Damn it! I'm looking at last years draft sheet. Okay, okay, just a second.....okay here it is. uhh...this year we're suppose to...no wait a minute...thats my Taco Bell receipt.

Okay, I'll get back to you guys, but one thing I want you all to know is that I'm on it, and whatever we do we're gonna get a "Redskins kinda guy". Quality player, fights his guts out, yada yada yada.

Anyway, gotta run. Dan's callin me. Chow.

I could see Detroit actually making a trade like that because they already have two 1st round picks and need a lot of help on all sides of the ball, imagine what kind of draft they could have with three 1st rounders. I doubt they will but like you said, a guy can dream can't he? :cool:

Do we really want a likely top 5 draft pick? The money involved with those kinds of picks would not be good for us.

Nope. I could see us trading down for more picks in THIS year's draft, but not giving up our only pick before the 3rd in order to have several 1st day picks next year. There's too much work to be done around here NOW, and having 4 rookie 1st and 2nd rounders next year, even if they're talented, isn't the way to go.
I support this view.

If a team offered us their first and second round picks in the 2010 draft for our #13 overall in this year's draft (Similar to the Cleveland/Dallas trade of 2007) would you do it?

I'm kind of torn...we're missing a lot of pics already but imagine keeping all of next year's picks and having Two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders in the 2010 draft, we could fix a lot of things...but the question is, would we have too much to fix after only having a 3rd, 5th, and 6th this year?/quote]

What a silly ****ing question!!

We need every legitimate pick we can get in order start rebuilding the DLines and OLines. No way - we would be prolonging what we have to do in order to get better and younger.

Actually, it is very much about draft position. In 2002 we tried futilely to move up so we could take Dwight Freeney. Had no shot since we we were at 18, and couldn't find any takers. Ended up trading down to take Patrick Ramsey. Imagine how dominate our defense would have been with Freeney bending the edge and Champ and Smoot playing behind him. Well, we're at 13 now, and I'd rather draft a player like Oher, Monroe, Orakpo(who is comparable to Freeney) or Raji. Those guys aren't gonna fall into the latter half of the 1st round.

What about the draft where we took Rod Gardner ahead of Santana Moss?

Rogers is great, but we passed on Merriman and Ware, who I'd rather have.

Sometimes it works out better for you. How about when we passed on Kellen Winslow and got Cooley in the 3rd round?

It's not just about the player you have your eye on too, some players don't pan out and the ones you passed on end up being better sometimes. Going back to the 2001 draft, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, and Freddie Mitchell all went before Reggie Wayne in the 1st round. I'd probably take Wayne out of all of them.

Sure there is some talent you might miss out on sometimes if you're later in the draft, but if you scout properly and have good talent evaluators, you shouldn't worry about it. The draft is a crapshoot and you can't pass on a trade that gives you the better end just because there's a chance you might pick a couple spots later than you thought.

That is very tempting, I will admit. Having 4 first day picks makes me :laugh:.

But since I've heard discouraging things about Rhinehardt, i would say our first rounder could land a stud or trade down for a late 1st rounder and 2nd rounder. And still have all of next year's picks.

What about the draft where we took Rod Gardner ahead of Santana Moss?

Rogers is great, but we passed on Merriman and Ware, who I'd rather have.

Sometimes it works out better for you. How about when we passed on Kellen Winslow and got Cooley in the 3rd round?

It's not just about the player you have your eye on too, some players don't pan out and the ones you passed on end up being better sometimes. Going back to the 2001 draft, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, and Freddie Mitchell all went before Reggie Wayne in the 1st round. I'd probably take Wayne out of all of them.

Sure there is some talent you might miss out on sometimes if you're later in the draft, but if you scout properly and have good talent evaluators, you shouldn't worry about it. The draft is a crapshoot and you can't pass on a trade that gives you the better end just because there's a chance you might pick a couple spots later than you thought.

Merriman and Ware would look alot less dominating in our 4-3 defense, Gardner over Moss was Marty's doin, if Colts had a shot Terrell or Robinson, then they would have never drafted Wayne, and we didn't "pass" on Winslow anymore than we passed on Roy Williams or Vilma. If the Skins were for some absurd reason squander their chance to pick at 13 this year, then the chances of getting a starter at LT, DT, or DE would be very slim in the 3rd round - which is where our next pick would be.

I challenge anyone to give me an example of a team squandering a shot at drafting in the top 15 just to get a future unknown first. Even when the Cowboys traded away their first to Buffalo - which really just had them dropping about 15 or so spots to gain a future first, they ended up passing on Steven Jackson, just to move up 2 spaces to take Marcus Spears the following year. I'm willing to wager that if Jones had the dough to construct a time machine, he would go back, draft Jackson and call it a day.

Only a team that consistently gets to the postseason - AND advances, AND has no need for the talent at the top of this particular first round which means they would have to already be set at DT,LT,QB,ILB,CB, and OLB could afford to make such a move. If such a team existed, it sure as hell wouldn't be the Washington Redskins.

Vinny will waste the picks again anyway. The one thing going for the swap would be that there is a greater chance Vinny will be gone by the following year and couldn't squander the picks.

You have the right to dream. Vinny will be here next year and thereafter.

Dan Snyder has really spoil you guys. Just right a check and do a little creative cap maneuvering, and whack, we have a winning team.

Get real!!!!

Trading for future picks is a great deal if you can pull it off.

Imagine you repeated this deal every year, trading your additional 1st Rounder for a 1st and 2nd in the next year's draft. For the cost of just one initial 1st Round Pick you would receive an additional 2nd Rounder every single year for the rest of time.

Unless a player we really like falls to No.13 i'd be very keen on this kind of deal. Unfortunately, recent history suggests we are more likely to be the ones trading next year's 1st and 2nd for an additional pick in this year's draft.

Archived